Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Call Him by our True Names. Thay continues

DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
edited January 2022 in Mindfulness

The International Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism announces that our beloved teacher Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away peacefully at Từ Hiếu Temple in Huế, Vietnam, at 00:00hrs on 22nd January, 2022, at the age of 95. We invite our global spiritual family to take a few moments to be still, to come back to our mindful breathing, as we together hold Thay in our hearts in peace and loving gratitude for all he has offered the world.
More official news will be coming shortly.
Please sign up for email updates here: https://bit.ly/3fJx7pd

BrianAlexBunksJeffreyWalkerShoshin1personhowFosdickJeroenlobsterKotishkaVastmindFleaMarket

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

For any interested there is a youtube live stream in about 4 hours from now.

AlexBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Thay was an amazing human being and a great teacher. "Living Buddha, Living Christ" was one of the first Buddhist books I ever read. May he be reborn into Nirvana 🙏🙏🙏

AlexWalkerBunksDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2022

Well said and quoted @Kotishka

Now dead I feel he can be canonised by the Pope. About time the Roman Church became more Catholic as was @Thay in his Dharma …
    https://cundi.weebly.com/crazies.html

Buddhist dies?
    Time for cake!

David
  • Thich Nhat Hanh on Birth & Death

DavidBunks
  • Thich Nhat Hanh Memorial Ceremony Day 2 ... Live from Hue, Vietnam | 2022 01 23

DavidBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2022

I saw the old video of a young Thay teaching walking meditation to a crowd which @shoshin1 posted in @lobster’s walking thread, it really resonated with me. Thay seems to be everywhere these days.

BunksDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    I saw the old video of a young Thay teaching walking meditation to a crowd which @shoshin1 posted in @lobster’s walking thread, it really resonated with me. Thay seems to be everywhere these days.

Especially in our mindful breathing and walking.

Shoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

So long as we remember and revere, He still lives.

KotishkaAlexDavid
    edited January 2022

It's funny.

Thays' transition struck me more than I thought it would. We knew it was coming for some time now and he was where he wanted to be when it happened.

It seems like it brought up a bit of unresolved grief from the past. I had to take a few "moments" to myself at work. I can't call in over it because I work in a retirement home and we are short staffed and just got out of outbreak status yesterday that started on January 1st.

It would be nice to be able to take this week off as the Sangha has had live sessions every day since Saturday but they are either very early morning or in the evening when I am working. I get home just after midnight.

I tried to get on this morning as it is my day off today but my body would not let me up after a 5 hour sleep. At least I can go on this evening and finally see and practice with others from my tradition live during this time of transition.

Witnessing the emotion in Brother Phap Huu and seeing the eyes of Sister Chan Khong... I don't see how I have the right to feel this deeply. Maybe it's because I an unable (so far) to be with the Sangha or maybe it's because of the past grief rising to the occasion.

I know Thay has not really gone anywhere and seeing that brings happiness but I still am uncomfortable without sangha contact and am almost fearing Friday evening when I get to miss the funeral.

KotishkaBunks
    edited January 2022

It is good to see the ceremonies are all on youtube. I found this quite moving…

I’m not sure when the casket is closed but this may be one of the few opportunities to still see Thay’s body.

@Jeroen said:
    It is good to see the ceremonies are all on youtube. I found this quite moving…

I’m not sure when the casket is closed but this may be one of the few opportunities to still see Thay’s body.

The funeral and cremation is Friday. 7 pm, EST (That's my time zone)

BunksShoshin1

The funeral procession and cremation ceremony

The closing ceremony

Shoshin1David
  • ShimShim Veteran

I've been watching the ceremonies this week, really beautiful and moving. So many people showing their dedication and love.
    I also really appreciated these broadcasts. Not only because of the healing and closure they provide for the community but also for the amount of care put in them, the camera work and commentary from Plum Village monastics (with various translations). They've been really great at including the global community.

KotishkaJeroenShoshin1David
  • Yawn! [oops] :3

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    Yawn! [oops] :3

Oh no! You didn't watch his film did you? :)

@Shim said:
    They've been really great at including the global community.

I’ve found it heartwarming that somewhere in the world a monk like Thay gets a send-off like this. He deserves the honour they give him, he was a special teacher. And I agree, the involvement of the Plum Village monastics has really helped to make the funeral accessible to the rest of the world, its been very good.

Shoshin1ShimDavid
  • Thich Nhat Hanh's ceremony is why I am here today. He did not start me on the path but there are times when we come to a cross roads where we must choose. Sometimes it is just the breeze that decides for us but where did the breeze arise from and why did it reach us just as we approached this part of the path? We carry forward what has been given to us from the past.

BunksDavid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@FleaMarket said:We carry forward what has been given to us from the past.

As long as it is a useful raft, ride it. There comes a time when even that which is useful, needs to be let go of.
    Cast no attachment to the passing of this monk. Rather celebrate his supposed re-birth into some wonderful continuation. If you herald his triumph, he has not died.

Continue...

BunksDavidlobster
    edited February 2022

I was able to join in live with my Sangha after all. I ended up pinching a nerve in my neck on the Wednesday so had to take Thursday and Friday off. Since it was my weekend off as well I was able to spend extra time with the group.

I can't help but wonder if I did it subconsciously. I know I needed to be with them and we tuned in through our live zoom feed so we attended as our branch.

We've been having daily zooms along with our regular sits since the ceremony and though I have only been able to attend a couple, they help. I pretty much stay silent because there are people that need to speak and even though it is through a computer screen, I know from experience that it helps when the Sangha listens deeply.

Whenever I've lost anyone, it was reading and watching videos of Thays teachings that helped me through. Now that he has made this transition, it is easy to see him in everything and it helps me see everybody else a bit more clearly. Because I can tell that he is everywhere, I can more easily see my loved ones that have passed in everything.

He often said the next Buddha could be the Sangha. That one Buddha is not enough. We are his continuation just as he was a continuation of his blood and spiritual ancestry.

We owe it to ourselves to see ourselves more clearly.

BunksFleaMarketShoshin1lobster
  • Well said @David <3

Zoom. Zoom. ;)

• Lovely as lovely gets. The resident community at Plum Village, founded by Thich Nhat Hanh in Plum Village, France, in a stirring recording of the Namo’valokiteshvaraya chant of compassion (recorded in autumn 2020), in honor of the passing of their world-beloved teacher. It’s a 22-minute musical meditation, with weaving voices, violin and percussion:

DavidBunksFleaMarket
    edited March 2022

They are having a few days of online retreat at Plum Village in honour of receiving Thays ashes, which will then be scattered on the 49th day. You can register here:

https://plumvillage.org/retreats/info/coming-going-in-freedom/

Shoshin1
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

JeroenDavid