Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

On the West Coast of Canada, we have organizations whose sole function is the addressing of abandoned boats. The many live aboards who can no longer afford the normal maintenance expenses or end up having to convalesce ashore, provide a continuous supply of boat groundings that follow with every wind storm here.

BunksJeroenShoshin1ShanJieshi2
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I like your new Avatar @Shoshin1

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited February 2022

Thanks @Bunks ...
    Sounds like the kind of system we need here @how... There are a few boaties who live on their boats and call the island home, but most boaties are from the mainland especially the suburbs of Auckland...

If they were the salvage crew at the beach yesterday, it looks like they left some...

WalkerBunks
  • This morning barely sunrise. Is it the moon? No it is the morning star taken with the zoom on my camera.

It is the same star aka planet Venus/Lucifer that the Shakyamuni Buddha saw on his third day of intense meditation and awakening …

WalkerBunksFosdickShoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's a lovely shot, @lobster... my phone camera is complete pants...

Bunks
  • The salvage crew this morning finishing up...

Bunks
  • It was stinking hot and humid, it's meant to reach 28/30 C....

No boats in the bay this morning...

Possible reasons
    1) There's a storm brewing
    2) Scared off by the sinking of the boat in the bay this week
    3) They got wind that there's a Omicron positive case at the local high school...

Or none of the above
    As the clouds roll in... and the Cicadas like to sing...They are quite loud...

Oh and I found a neat thing on my phone, I can slow the video speed down to slow motion ..

A territorial seagull dive bombing me...I think it's the same one every morning...It spots me and starts to do kamikaze dives at my head...sometimes a squad of them attack me from all sides...

BunksWalker
  • @yagr said:
    Funny thing happened on the way to the cushion this morning...

I lost interest in pursuing the ability so long ago that I hadn't thought of it for at least a decade. This morning however, while arranging myself on my cushion, I found myself in the half-lotus position and thought, "I wonder..." A moment later I was in the full lotus for the first time in my life. Completely useless information...so glad we have a thread for such things. ;)

For a significantly less useless announcement, follow this sentence... I seem to have discovered an internal wonder toggle switch. I've experienced more wonder in the last ten days than I have the previous fifty years.

That's amazing @yagr...

I can only manage a quarter lotus ...

Bunksyagr
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The only lotus you will find near me is on an illustration in one of my books.

BunksShoshin1Walkeryagr
    edited February 2022

So the deputy prime minister here sent the text message below about our prime minister to a third party last year.
    Now that it’s been exposed in the public domain, he’s come out and said he no longer feels this way and has apologised to the PM.
    Seriously? No wonder none of us trust politicians!

WalkerShoshin1
  • @Bunks said:
    So the deputy prime minister here sent the text message below about our prime minister to a third party last year.
    Now that it’s been exposed in the public domain, he’s come out and said he no longer feels this way and has apologised to the PM.
    Seriously? No wonder none of us trust politicians!

Hmm....Perhaps a case of the pot calling the kettle black...

WalkerBunks
  • I seem to have discovered an internal wonder toggle switch. I've experienced more wonder in the last ten days than I have the previous fifty years.

Ah ha!
    A switch!

Wonderful.

yagr
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

lol @Bunks

Politicians are the same everywhere I guess.

Same thing going on here. Our federal Conservative leader Erin O'Toole just got dumped, and it looks like Premier Jason Kenney here in Alberta could be ousted too.

BunksShoshin1
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

There won't be a defeated Sailor Moon until the inevitable gritty remake where Sailor Galactica kills Sailor Moon right before realizing that what she wanted this whole time was love, not power.

Though repentance burns in her heart, Galactica cannot undo what she has begun, and in the end she sacrifices herself (in doing so, closing a "Galactica redemption sub-arc") to destroy Chaos during the ensuing calamity, plunging the universe into a murky twilight of... not evil, but certainly nothing good.

The still-alive planetary princesses in this post-apocalyptic future rally the remaining human population, but geopolitical drama sets in and Rei and Ami are forced into war against each other, pulled by the wicked strings of mortal intrigue into a human calamity that neither wants.

Can Minako and Cyborg-Makoto-from-the-Past escape the clutches of the irradiated Swamp People to get to Manchuria to deliver the peace papers outlining the UN's latest proposal for a ceasefire? Find out next Saturday.

I saw "useless announcements" in the title of this thread and thought I might make one. I hope it was useless enough.

WalkerJeroenBunks
  • New roof on the house. Only 5 years overdue.
    Buckets and sponges now available - sightly used.
    now, with the new clutch in my bike, all is well.
    OK - all may not be well, but it is one heck of a lot better.

Peace to all

Shoshin1lobsterWalkerBunks
  • @Lionduck
    I know how you feel. Due to lockdown we had no shower, leaking water and towards the end were using a kettle for hot water washing up.
    However we came through. Shower installed. Leaking fixed. o:)

I hear tales of dukkha everywhere. Fortunately we have a warm house, good food delivered and support. <3

Buckets and bowls may be used for new primula flowers from my local lidl supermarket. B)

The Zen teacher Kodo Sawaki (1880–1965) once asserted that “Zazen is useless.”
    https://tricycle.org/magazine/uselessness/

BunkshowLionduck

lobsterShoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I wouldn't classify that as a "Useless Announcement", @Bunks... maybe we should have a "So you think you had it all figured out, Huh? Well guess again!" thread... (please, Lobby.... no....)

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Are we going to moderate posts for not being useless enough? 😂

Bunks
  • @lobster said:
    @Lionduck
    I know how you feel. Due to lockdown we had no shower, leaking water...

Leaking water = shower ;)

lobsterLionduck
  • @Shoshin1 said:

A territorial seagull dive bombing me...I think it's the same one every morning...It spots me and starts to do kamikaze dives at my head...sometimes a squad of them attack me from all sides...

Perhaps they just don't like paparazzi's?

BunksShoshin1
  • @Bunks said:

Bugger ....

Bunks
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited February 2022

"The person you think you are.. Does not even exist outside your mind."
    Depending upon date, time and circumstance, that can be either a very good thing or a not so good thing. =);)B)
    Smile:
    1. It enhances the endorphins.
    2. It keeps 'em guessing.

Peace to all

Bunks
  • This morning's cloud formations...

lobsterWalkerBunks
  • Stunning pictures
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-60111369

Talking of gardens, see above
    try garden radio app for your mobil mo-bill mobile or similar

android
    https://radio-garden.en.uptodown.com/android

ios
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/radio-garden-live/id1339670993

and now back to the random uselessness

Bunks
  • The weather's been quite tropical over the last few days, very high humidity 60+% and the temperature not dropping below 23/4C overnight...Two fans running full blast during the day when I'm home...Perspiring like a water fountain...

• I would like to announce that I am here. I am not sure how long I will be staying but I will always come back. Maybe I will try a cold shower if I leave for too long. :o

BunksShoshin1

@FleaMarket said:
    I would like to announce that I am here. I am not sure how long I will be staying but I will always come back. Maybe I will try a cold shower if I leave for too long. :o

And we're happy to have you <3

FleaMarket
  • The mist was low today... ..

WalkerBunks

@FleaMarket said:
    I would like to announce that I am here. I am not sure how long I will be staying but I will always come back. Maybe I will try a cold shower if I leave for too long. :o

Nice to see you here @FleaMarket

FleaMarket
    edited February 2022

I’m going on a week’s holiday from today, and I am not taking my laptop or ipad, so may be around less frequently for a while…

Shoshin1BunksFleaMarket
  • Cyclone Dovi has just passed New Caledonia & Vanuatu and is just starting to make its presence felt here...It's forecast to cross the centre of the country on Sunday strong winds and heavy rain...

BunksWalker
  • @Jeroen said:
    I’m going on a week’s holiday from today, and I am not taking my laptop or ipad, so may be around less frequently for a while…

Enjoy your break @Jeroen ...

Bunks

Take care @Jeroen

• That crazy gull divebombing me again...

Stormy waters and strong winds thanks to Dovi

Also some of the damage cyclone Dovi caused, lots of debris laying on the roads and a couple of large branches had broken off a gum tree and blocked our driveway... In fact all along the drive were bits of tree...

It's still quite windy out...hopefully we have seen the worst of it...

BunksWalker
  • Buddhism on the Beach last night...Beautiful full moon...* a bit of a drop in temperature...

Beautiful morning's birthday jolk

Well every day is my birth day :)

WalkerFleaMarket

Hong on! Is it your birthday today @Shoshin1 ?

WalkerShoshin1FleaMarket
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

@MaryAnne said:
    (Quote)
    @sillyputty
    If you live just about anywhere in America, lower parts of Canada, and/or into Mexico and central America... you probably have hummingbirds! :) The trick is to be patient. Hang up your feeders at least 3-4' away from any windows or the house, but do put them where you can see them from inside.
    Put them up around the end of April and leave them up until November.

It takes time for the hummers to find them - but eventually they will. And once they do, they will come back more and more. You'll have even more of them if you hang feeders in the same general area year after year.
    The first summer in this house we only saw maybe one or two hummingbirds all summer. The second summer we saw them maybe once or twice a week. This year however- we see them coming to the two feeders 6-8 times a day!
    Just about every single time we look, we see one within a few minutes! It's awesome!

Now they have even started to drink from the feeders and then perch their tiny behinds on top of the bamboo fence for a few minutes... I know my hubs got a pic of this on his phone. I'll post it if I can. BTW, that feeder you see in the pic above is a home made feeder made from a water bottle and some plastic tubing. Very simple. The nectar is also very easy to make yourself, although they do prefer the red pre-made nectar you can add water to - at first. But once they know where the feeders are... they'll come back! :)

Its Summer here...every year they come ...i have the dispensers full everyday...im a kind of free restaurant.

BunksShoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited February 2022

@Bunks said:
    Hong on! Is it your birthday today @Shoshin1 ?

Yes....Aquarius

When the moon is in the Seventh House
    And Jupiter aligns with Mars
    Then peace will guide the planets
    And love will steer the stars
    This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
    Age of Aquarius
    Aquarius
    Aquarius
    Harmony and understanding
    Sympathy and trust abounding
    No more falsehoods or derisions
    Golden living dreams of visions
    Mystic crystal revelation
    And the mind's true liberation
    Aquarius
    Aquarius
    When the moon is in the Seventh House
    And Jupiter aligns with Mars
    Then peace will guide the planets
    And love will steer the stars
    This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
    Age of Aquarius
    Aquarius
    Aquarius
    Aquarius
    Aquarius
    Let the sunshine, let the sunshine in, the sunshine in
    Oh, let it shine, c'mon
    Now everybody just sing along
    Let the sun shine in
    Open up your heart and let it shine on in
    When you are lonely, let it shine on
    Got to open up your heart and let it shine on in
    And when you feel like you've been mistreated
    And your friends turn away
    Just open your heart, and shine it on in

Happy bday @Shoshin1 !!

Shoshin1FleaMarketWalkerlobster
  • Thanks @Bunks ...I went out to lunch with a Dharma friend...

FleaMarketBunks
  • Another year older. Another year wiser. And that is your lunch mate! ;)

BunksShoshin1
  • Went for a skinny dip this morning after my jolk....haven't been for a while, what with the weather and work commitments...Anyhow

There was only around half a dozen people on my the beach...

And stepping into the ocean was like stepping into a lukewarm bath...
    When I got home there was a largish package waiting for me, which was strange as I didn't recall ordering anything, anyhow when I opened it, I found a box with new pair of New Balance joggers (my size) so I racked my brain, trying to recall if I had ordered them...Anyhow I contacted my daughter to see if she knew anything about the joggers, it turns out all my children got me them for my birthday, they were hoping they would arrive on the day....but they arrived a day late...Still... what a pleasant surprise....

FleaMarketWalkerBunks

How lovely @Shoshin1 ! I’m sure they’ll be well used for upcoming jolks.
    I have started running again recently and think of you every time I go out as I’d describe what I’m doing as more of a jolk than a run! =)

Shoshin1Walker
  • That's good to hear @Bunks...So when are you going to start jolking backwards ;);)

BunksJeroenWalker

@Shoshin1 said:
    That's good to hear @Bunks...So when are you going to start jolking backwards ;);)

Funnily enough I have been going to a physio to help me get going again and one of the exercises he's given me is to go forwards on tippy toes then backwards :)

Shoshin1