Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

ehh Whatt??? Buddhist Death Metal?

ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Why people do this?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Why not?

• ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Oh, it has become an interesting topic...there are more bands singing sutras.
    I guess the Gyuto Tibetan way of chanting in guttural tones has attracted the Satan hordes (joke).
    I continue with my predilection for harmonious and ear-friendly music.

Bunks
  • One sangha I visited last week was 10 minutes of guided meditation and 50 minutes of drinking wine and gossip with light message sprinkled in. I am not experienced enough to know how this would be received but the people were kind and welcoming and I could tell they were attempting to better themselves. I may seek different sangha instead of returning to that one as it was not my "language" but I felt honored to be welcomed into their practice and saw no harm in how they showed their appreciation for the teachings.

I always emphasise pre-programming. It includes a manual cleaning of the place and a space beforehand free of coffee, cigarettes and of course alcohol. As well as minimising the impact of listening to loud music on the way to the Dojo and other similar actions, it makes a difference to just rushing in and sitting down to doze off.
    But the output should be the same or similar.
    I don't see the point of the talking and drinking.
    I still wish you all the best of luck on your way.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2022

There I was in the hell realms; drugged, addicted to mara and … wait that may have been a musical.
    Life is where we are. Not necessarily free of cake and other sweeteners.

However we can practice, still.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/feb/14/the-big-idea-is-it-time-to-stop-worrying-about-stress

and now..the other side...a slow and extrasoft music

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8H_xfQkiSyL4FYXk6tMUig

Bunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think there is a place for this sort of thing in the world. I wouldn't listen to it myself and don't really consider it particularly Buddhist in practice. But I would classify it as a skillful means, as a form of outreach to expose people who might not normally be exposed to Buddhist ideas.

Plus Christian death metal is a thing, why should they have all the fun?

Bunks

agree

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Even white rappers have given it a go over the years

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited February 2022

Buddha meets Techno

Bunks
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@ShanJieshi2 said:
    Why people do this?

Because it's cool. 🤷‍♀️

FleaMarketShanJieshi2

ohhhh what a variety of... of...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Death metal and hardcore techno are not really my thing, I like my music a little more melodious

ShanJieshi2
  • As a death metal fan...thanks for showing me a great band :)

BunksShanJieshi2