Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What music are you listening to?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

• I am too frightened to listen to @Jason latest listening … Most seem to make Tibetan temple noise/music positively melodious … :p

Music is very personal, I am sure my tastes are too syrupy for some … All music changes our mood, enhances our experience, titillates our ear gates. And dances us into fitness …

Is music worth listening to? Personally yes!

Walker
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Walker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Dua Lipa again… I think she’s hardly made a bad song

• Oh Wonder "All we do"

All we do is hide away
    All we do is, all we do is hide away
    All we do is chase the day
    All we do is, all we do is chase the day

All we do is lie and wait
    All we do is, all we do is lie and wait
    All we do is feel the fade
    All we do is, all we do is feel the fade

I've been upside down
    I don't wanna be the right way round
    Can't find paradise on the ground
    I've been upside down

All we do is hide away

All we do is play it safe
    All we do is live inside a cage
    All we do is play it safe
    All we do, all we do

I've been upside down
    I've been upside down

All we do is hide away
    All I did was fail today
    All I wanna be is whites in waves
    All I did was fail today
    All we do, all we do

From the TV series Unforgotten

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

This song came into my head out of the blue last night

Shoshin1nakazcid
  • Nice song @Walker ...

@Walker Interesting contrast with the only other Bruce Cockburn song I know..."If I Had A Rocket Launcher." This one is much more introspective and gentle. I hesitate to post the other song here, both for the lyrics and imagery...

Walker

Yeah @nakazcid that one is full of righteous anger I guess you could say.

nakazcid

You might remember this one as well.

nakazcidBunks

No actually I hadn't heard that one by Bruce. Thanks for posting it. For various reasons it reminds me of this one of similar vintage...

Walker
  • Slip Slidin' Away

When it come to finding a 'permanently abiding' self...
    You know the nearer your destination the more you're slip slidin' away

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - I Won’t Back Down

Walker

Walker

My finger slipped into an ancient part of my music collection…

WalkerShoshin1Bunks
  • Have you heard this medieval version @Jeroen

I think I posted it a while back...

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Got drunk on Friday night and decided to do a little reminiscing!

Walker

A bit of minimal synth…

edited December 2021

While having its roots in, and combining various elements of, pagan winter solstice celebrations, Christmas traditionally commemorates the birth of Jesus. And the more I contemplate what it is I admire about the life of Jesus, the more I think it boils down to the overarching theme of restoring community and repairing the brokenness we find in ourselves and the world. Almost every aspect of his example and message seems to point to this singular goal.

From the more abstract idea of the universal Christ manifested in the universal church (Gal 3:28), to the greater part of his words and actions and those of his disciplines, everything ultimately points to this idea of healing and restoration out of a seemingly inexhaustible source of compassion and love that we're encouraged to develop and tap into. Loving others as ourselves (Mt 22:35-40). Do to others as you would have them do to you (Lk 6:31). Forgiving seventy-seven times (Mt 18:21-35). Giving food to the hungry, drink to the thirsty, welcome to the stranger, clothes to the naked, and care to those who are ill or imprisoned (Mt 25:31-46). Leveling inequality, both social (Mt 25:31-46) and economic (Mt 19:16-30). Bringing back into the community all those who were reviled or pushed to the margins of society by dominant power structures, from marginalized ethnic groups (Jn 4:4-42), lepers (Mt 8:1-4), sex workers (Lk 7:36-50), and tax collectors (Lk 15:1-7) to sinners (Mk 2:13-17), the poor, and those with disabilities (Lk 14:7-24). Throwing down rulers from their thrones and lifting up the lowly (Lk 1:46-55). Etc.

The story of Jesus is a meditation on saving the world from itself and its contradictions, hypocrisies, and modes of oppression—an intersectional meditation that's supposed to inspire hope, reflection, and action. What we're asked to repent of is our unskillful actions, the harm that we directly cause through greed, anger, and ignorance or indirectly support with our complacency and nonaction. And what we're encouraged to celebrate is our own potential for goodness and the example of those both real and mythical who show us the way to fulfill that goodness—the prophets who light the way with their words, deeds, and warnings, the shepherds who guide us and lead the way forward as we work together to restore our community and repair our relationships with ourselves and one another. And I think this idea is reflected most beautifully and succinctly in Teresa of Avila's poem:

Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours.
    Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world.
    Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good.
    Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world.
    Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body.
    Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

The spirit of Christ is resurrected in these moments. Every time we hold out our hand to lift someone up. Every time we care for another person who's sick, in prison, or in mourning. Every time we give of ourselves when others are in need. Every time we choose to forgive rather than to condemn. Every time we cultivate compassion and understanding rather than be overcome by anger and fear. Every time we seek reconciliation over estrangement. Every time we embrace peace over violence. Every time we make someone else's suffering our own and seek to do what we can to ease it or shoulder it ourselves. Every time we challenge modes of harm and oppression. Every time we elect to side with the oppressed. Every time we choose to include others into our lives and welcome them into our communities.

That's the moral of this story to me and what we're truly called to honour and celebrate. God is love, and love exists in our hearts when we're in relationship with others.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

lobsterJeroenBunks

Also, some dark country from Nergal and the gang.

• Day O

• Hi @Shoshin1,

Just what Dr Omicron Manipemehung ordered. Really enjoyed that despite the Dire Straits … Wait so white boys can dance …

I was watching and listening to
    https://www.whattowatch.com/watching-guides/attenboroughs-wonder-of-song-release-date-premise-animals-and-everything-we-know

Shoshin1

• They said to find a song to pump you up before exams..... so yeah--

Bunks
  • For the newbies to the Dharma

Things can only get better

Now you've found the path

BunksFleaMarketlobster
  • My senses around the bonfire when they see me learning reality is a delusion.

BunksShoshin1
  • Here's direct from my hype-list
    Flux Pavilion - Do Or Die
    B)O.oB)

• One more probably already on the list...
    Imagine Dragons - Believer

Shoshin1Bunks

I'm going to see the Oils live in a couple of weeks......haven't seen them live for 30 years! Apparently this is their last hurrah.

Shoshin1

• The woman from Guantánamo

• ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Shoshin1

Enjoyed this… there was a wave of great songs in the seventies and eighties which were about protest and peace.

Bunks

The two things I like about this song and clip are:

1. Bagpipes in a rock song. Respect!
    2. Seeing how much Swanston St, Melbourne has changed in the last 50 years!

Shoshin1
  • The tunes may vary, but always the music of life.

Bunks