Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• Just home from a picnic dinner with staff from work my birthday/a friend leaving work ( not vaccinated) plus a social worker friend is leaving the island so it was also a farewell dinner for them, drove to Church Bay to see the beautiful sunset...

JeroenWalkerBunksFosdick
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Sounds like there is some pretty nasty weather in the UK? Hope everyone is safe and warm over there? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Shoshin1
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:
    Just home from a picnic dinner with staff from work my birthday/a friend leaving work ( not vaccinated) plus a social worker friend is leaving the island so it was also a farewell dinner for them, drove to Church Bay to see the beautiful sunset...

excuse me ...Church Bay is at...???

• @ShanJieshi2 said:

excuse me ...Church Bay is at...???

It's an area on the island where I live...

Lots of young South Americans, on work visas (mostly Argentinians) are staying on the island...

Bunks

That's right...we are now conquering the world island by island.

We already have Miami and Barcelona in our possession

Shoshin1JeroenBunksKotishka

It is very encouraging that many people know young Argentines outside their country. We are wonderful people. But between us we have no solution in the short term.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Wow didn't realise how severe the storm was @lobster ...I'm just checking the news now...Glad you are all safe...

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

All the trains were cancelled here (so I couldn’t travel back and have had to prolong my break), there was a lot of damage to roofs and with falling trees, and several people died.

WalkerShoshin1BunksFleaMarket

ohhh!!! I just saw about Eunice and some videos of airplanes trying to land.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

120-140 kmph wind gusts…

Bunks

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited February 2022

Today's a scorcher, just got back from a refreshing dip, lots of people at the beach, mostly visitors (as the Omicron positive cases on the island rapidly rise) not many locals...
    The thermometer in my bedroom says 28C and this is in the shade...mine you February is meant to be the hottest month...

And on my jolk this morning a cicada used my head has a convenient stopover as it made its way across the road, from one bush to another, I must admit I was a bit concerned, my hair is curly and things tend to get tangled up in it and the last thing I wanted was for the cicada to become entangled in my hair...fortunately it didn't, it just touched down and took off again... ...with a little help ie, a slight brush of my hand...
    Oh and I took this of the moon...

WalkerlobsterBunks
  • Well for the last month I've been taking a small pair of scissors out with me on my morning jolks, the reason being is the narrow bush track down to the beach has got scratchy grass (Gossamer Grass) growing on either side of the track and on a number of occasions the leaves have scratched my ankles drawing blood or got tangled in my hair...So now I trim the sides when they stick out across the track...

Bunks

@ShanJieshi2 said:
    Sunday is the International Cat Day

It seems the International Day of the Cat is the 8th of August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Cat_Day

3 is better than one
    The cat is the only animal to have a threefold international cat day
    International Cat Day is celebrated on 20 February, but there are two other dates that also venerate our domestic felines.
    It is celebrated not only on 20 February, but also on 8 August and 29 October.

Bunks
  • It's two's day!

Bunks
  • On the beach I thought someone was having a BBQ I could smell something cooking , it turned out to be me...It's another scorcher again today...29C in the shade this morning...

BunksFleaMarket

I always remember an ad from when I was growing up @Shoshin1

"Between 11 and 3,
    stay under a tree,
    the best sunscreen of all is absolutely free"

howShoshin1
  • @Shoshin1 said:
    On the beach I thought someone was having a BBQ I could smell something cooking , it turned out to be me...It's another scorcher again today...29C in the shade this morning...

Reminded me of a Futurama episode...

JeroenShoshin1

I like Futurama a lot, its funny and digests easily.

FleaMarket
  • It's a picture perfect day...

but I'm giving the skinny dip a miss...

FleaMarket
  • @Shoshin1 said:
    It's a picture perfect day...

but I'm giving the skinny dip a miss...

Your videos always leave me with an expansiveness and relaxation I didn't have prior.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Thanks @FleaMarket ... Happy to hear that ...

BunksFleaMarket

She lives in paradise @FleaMarket :)

FleaMarket
  • @Bunks said:

Yeah I gotta spend a solid ten on the cushion just to get to where she's at on a bad day. :p

Shoshin1
  • @Bunks said:

It wasn't always the case @Bunks
    The first sixteen years of my life I lived in the concrete jungle of South East London

I lived around a mile and half from Tower Bridge and not too far from the river Thame near Surrey Docks (which is now called Surrey Quays)...

Our local soccer team was Millwall

Bunks
  • This afternoon I was in the kitchen preparing dinner when I looked out the window and walking on the drive was this little fellow, coming to pay me a visit...

Not long after it flew up to one of the trees not far from my deck...

An Eastern Rosella parrot ...an Aussie export...
    I love the bright colours ...but sadly they compete with and at times attack our indigenous bird species ...

lobster
  • This morning there were over a hundred boats anchored in both bays..

All the rubbish bins along the beach were overflowing...and many have dogs onboard which they bring ashore to crap on the beach, most boaties are responsible and careful not to pollute, they pick up after their dogs but sadly some are just careless...

@Shoshin1 said:

@Bunks said:

It wasn't always the case @Bunks
    The first sixteen years of my life I lived in the concrete jungle of South East London

I lived around a mile and half from Tower Bridge and not too far from the river Thame near Surrey Docks (which is now called Surrey Quays)...

Our local soccer team was Millwall

Cool! I used to work near Tower Bridge. Opposite Fenchurch St Station

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited February 2022

Did you ever venture into Bermondsey while you were there @Bunks ?

The top photo is the top end of Southwark Park Road which is just off Tower Bridge Road...The bottom photo is commonly known as The Blue, it's also on Southwark Park Road it's the local shopping area of Bermondsey ( named after the Blue Anchor Pub on the right of the photo) I think the photos were taken in the late 50s early 60s...

@Shoshin1 said:
    Did you ever venture into Bermondsey while you were there @Bunks ?

The top photo is the top end of Southwark Park Road which is just off Tower Bridge Road...The bottom photo is commonly known as The Blue, it's also on Southwark Park Road it's the local shopping area of Bermondsey ( named after the Blue Anchor Pub on the right of the photo) I think the photos were taken in the late 50s early 60s...

Hmmmmm not that I recall but it was 25 years ago so it was possible.

I was drinking a lot at the time too (in the tradition of Barry McKenzie!)

Shoshin1
  • BunkslobsterWalker
  • @Shoshin1 said:

Bunks
  • Well not sure what happened there ^^ I edited the original post to add the world's sexy couple on horseback, instead I seem to have doubled the post ....Anyhow

This morning it was high tide so no jolking along the beach, so had a little tiki tour of the village outskirts ..

Bunks
  • Any flooding where you are @Bunks ?

@Shoshin1 said:
    Any flooding where you are @Bunks ?

Na, not yet mate. Has been confined to Queensland and NSW so far.

Apparently it will reach us by the weekend. Slowly heading south.

• Is the area where you are low lying and prone to flooding ?

edited March 2022

Yes :)

Might need to invest in a canoe

Maybe an Ark O.o

• Wow it sounds serious @Bunks ...

Bunks

@Shoshin1 said:
    Wow it sounds serious @Bunks ...

See what happens

• Stay safe @Bunks

Bunks

I was trying to explain “Emptiness of the Self” to my 9 year old on the way to school this morning.
    The look of confusion on his face was hilarious!
    Told him we can reconvene when he’s a bit older.

Shoshin1Fosdick
  • The place where I live is surrounded by bush ....Welcome to my uninvited pestsguests
    Australian solider fly on my dustbin...taken a couple of days ago

Asian paper wasp foundress on my neighbour's deck roof, taking a breather from egg laying..taken a couple of days ago

House spider capturing a blow fly which had been buzzing around my kitchen, using its web which is around five times stronger than steel..This afternoon

And the nest of the Asian paper wasp just under the eave of my neighbour's deck roof..Also taken this afternoon...using a selfie stick..

FosdickBunks
  • Beautiful illusion of a rainbow on this morning's jolk...

Bunks
  • So Cal rain storm
    Rain 2200 -0400
    Then no rain
    Then 1000 - 1500 Rain, maybe rain, rain but you can see blue sky...
    1500 HERE COMES THE SUN
    (with clouds foe ambience)
    Total rain - only substantial if you are used to semi arid climates
    Drought not over yet.

Don't laugh, Oregon and England - You may not have even bothered with rain gear, but for us it was real rain. Kind of a novelty around here. Free car wash though. :)B)

BunksShoshin1Jeroen

Lets breakfast...Tigger the spider says.

BunksShoshin1Lionduck
  • It looks like its a species of Orbweb Spider @ShanJieshi2