Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killed half a dozen flies, have I broken my lay-precepts?

This past summer I killed about 6 flies. I have two dogs and a cat, so the flies were swarming in and out of the house, as I keep door open. Have I broken my don't kill vow? Can I do my purification prayers to restore this vow?

Bunks

Comments

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

Yes, you can do purification prayers. If you practice Mantrayāna, ask your guru as primary opinion.

BunkspersonYeshe2019
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

It may also be worth doing something physical as repentance i.e. donate or work at an animal shelter. Or rescue and protect animals in some way.

Yeshe2019
  • @Yeshe2019 said:
    This past summer I killed about 6 flies.

You are clearly a mass murderer and should hand yourself over to the Beelzebub police, Dharma squad or contact your Jain lawyer.

As someone who gardens by moving or creating areas to be habituated by insect killing birds, rodent killing cats and other acts of profound evil, I am hardly in a position to judge.

Be real.

How many useless thoughts are still living in your fly zone? How many harmless sangha/insects are you supporting?

meanwhile at the nearest shrine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_hotel

Bunks
  • I feel you Yeshe2019.

I have a similar issue because in my garden I have these worms that come from these moths that at night lay eggs on the leaves. They are really destructive. I tried keeping them alive and moving them...didn't work. The moths also fly around freely and it is not that I can put a net in the sky.

What about here?

Purification prayers? What if I have no guru nor prayers?

Thanks.

Yeshe2019
  • Killed half a dozen flies, have I broken my lay-precepts?

Old habits die hard @Yeshe2019

It's important not to beat yourself up when you slip up.....

Just 'vow' to do better the next time you find yourself in a similar situation...

BunksYeshe2019
  • Purification prayers? What if I have no guru nor prayers?

Every winter our house spiders turn white through lack of flies. Many die. Our garden robin has probably been killed by the cats who are now allowed visitation rights. The death, destruction and mayhem in our compost heap is truly monumental.

Nature has an untamed abundance.

Existence, growing food crops/ornamental flowers organically involves choices and so does kindness to our preferences.

Are we realistic or …
    https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3/vegi.html

KotishkaBunksYeshe2019
  • @Yeshe2019
    When a general asked the Buddha about killing as a soldier, the Buddha answered that all that was necessary was to kill the will to kill.
    Since that is so for a soldier who's job includes killing in battle, I think you are safe.

Peace to all

Yeshe2019
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

There is a type of small vermin called silverfish, who we see occasionally in our house. They are small and rather delicate, they almost fall apart when touched with any force. I am sad to say that I have taken to killing them on sight, rather than letting them multiply in areas where we keep food. It’s not very buddhist but i think nature and existence will forgive me the small tresspass.

Yeshe2019
  • @how said:

It's humane but all those resulting pieces of toilet paper on my front walk must give my neighbors something to puzzle over.

Shit happens @how

Bunks
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited April 2022

For several years now, we've been seeing some small flies in the house in the summer - they spend much of their time in the air, and I find their flight patterns quite fascinating. I leave them alone, sometimes watch them as I meditate, and have spent considerable time trying to come up with some way to study them and figure out what, exactly, they are doing with this aerial ballet they perform.

Last year, however, they multiplied beyond reason. There were hundreds of them, and one could hardly walk through the room without choking on a couple of dozen. Alas, I ended up slaughtering most of them with fly paper and vacuum cleaner - I could think of no realistic alternative. Left about 30 to continue their race, and am waiting hopefully to see if they will return again this year.

It is our curse that, sometimes, we cannot avoid killing - but it must never be done lightly or reflexively.

lobsterShoshin1Yeshe2019
  • @Fosdick said:
    For several years now, we've been seeing some small flies in the house in the summer - they spend much of their time in the air, and I find their flight patterns quite fascinating. I leave them alone, sometimes watch them as I meditate, and have spent considerable time trying to come up with some way to study them and figure out what, exactly, they are doing with this aerial ballet they perform.

Last year, however, they multiplied beyond reason. There were hundreds of them, and one could hardly walk through the room without choking on a couple of dozen. Alas, I ended up slaughtering most of them with fly paper and vacuum cleaner - I could think of no realistic alternative. Left about 30 to continue their race, and am waiting hopefully to see if they will return again this year.

It is our curse that, sometimes, we cannot avoid killing - but it must never be done lightly or reflexively.

If they look like a smaller version of the common housefly, then they are what's known as the lesser housefly and you're right, they rarely settle on surfaces, but will occasionally land on your skin, but for the most part they just flying round and round...

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Aha! Thanks for that - yes, looks like that might be them. There is a white facial marking between the eyes on many of them that is fairly distinctive.

• Yes,

• @lobster said:
    Developing 'heroic willpower' …
    https://blogs.dickinson.edu/buddhistethics/files/2018/10/Gold-final.pdf
    "This structure suggests that not only is the capacity for moral choice not a necessary precondition of effective practice or moral significance; it may get in the way."

Woah, does this mean don't cherry-pick your virtues? Let them surface spontaneously and naturally through skillful practice of the dhamma? I guess I should read it and find out.

• I guess I should read it and find out.

Good guess ;)

• Yeshe2019Yeshe2019 Australia New

✨Thank you to all who contributed to answering my question✨You have all given me much to think about. Since posting the question I have caught and released a moth, a wasp, a dragon fly and rescued a small lizard from the clutches of the cat and dogs. You have all assisted me with becoming more mindful while not taking my faults too seriously. Venerable Robina Courtin says that for a being to die, or be killed in the manner that they are is based on their past karma. That everything is interdependent, cause and effect, therefore, compassion for all sentient beings who cannot practice Dharma as a human being is essential and compassion for oneself too. Obviously this is not verbatim as said by Venerable, but hopefully it makes sense 😊 Blessings to you all 🌺

BunkslobsterShoshin1Kotishka