Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Migration to a new forum software soon(ish)

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator

In about 3-6 months, I expect we'll be bidding farewell to our current forum software (Vanilla) after a decade of meritorious service and moving on to one named Flarum that I hope will allow us to add some new features for the first time in many years. I don't expect to lose any data in the move, and we should be able to keep the same passwords. The look and feel of Flarum is very much similar to Vanilla, so I don't expect it to be a very jarring transition at all. If you have any questions, ask away. I'll update this well in advance of the move.

Shoshin1lobsterKotishkaLionduckFleaMarketShanJieshi2

Comments

• Had a look. Seems good.
    https://flarum.org/

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

Eh, lets pretend I said 6-12 months. :p

Been working on the migration software but it's been a bit more labor intense than I guessed.

Lionduck

If you're the technical type or curious, I'm doing the migration work in public: https://github.com/linc/nitro-porter

Kotishka
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @Linc

• DakiniDakini Veteran

Linc, I hope you realize, that they key issue is: emojis! Will there be quality emojis? (I rather liked the batch we had before Vanilla...).

Thanks for all the effort you put in to the technical side of this forum.

johnathan

I want GIFs!! :)

Shoshin1
  • @Bunks said:

Isn't that a type of pretend lemon? Wait … that may be jif … :3

BunksJeroen

@Dakini said:
    Linc, I hope you realize, that they key issue is: emojis! Will there be quality emojis? (I rather liked the batch we had before Vanilla...).

It's a fair point. My most likely solution would be to simply use the Unicode set that are global now (but look different depending on your device). However if you know a good open source / free to use set, I'm open to suggestions (depending on technical feasibility and labor required, of course).

@Bunks said:

You know you can post those already, right? Are you saying you want an integrated GIF search box?

@Linc said:

@Bunks said:

You know you can post those already, right? Are you saying you want an integrated GIF search box?

Oh! How?

• DakiniDakini Veteran

@Linc said:

@Dakini said:

It's a fair point. My most likely solution would be to simply use the Unicode set that are global now (but look different depending on your device). However if you know a good open source / free to use set, I'm open to suggestions (depending on technical feasibility and labor required, of course).

A number of Buddhist forums back before we switched to vanilla had the same ones we did back then, plus some others. I don't know where those came from. I don't like the ones that come with standard email accounts, which is probably the "Unicode" type you're talking about. They're not at all charming.

I do enjoy a bit of whimsy and charm in my emoji, but I also have anxiety about the technical complexity they add. 😅

edited April 2022

@Bunks said:

@Linc said:

@Bunks said:

Oh! How?

Copy the GIF's URL (from the browser bar — or right click an image and choose "Copy Image Address" or similar) or save it to your computer (or your photos on a phone) and then upload it:

Bunks

Thanks @Linc