Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Newbuddhist has a MIner

ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

mhhhh minerblock warning!!!!

Comments

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2022

What does this mean? I'm imagining a lonely man who must go deep into the mountain to make his living.

Lyrics:
    I forget, I forgot, I've forgotten,
    I forget my very life.
    Forgotten the love of my mother,
    she was gentler, better than you.
    Forgotten the love of my father,
    he crossed the sea three times for me.
    Forgotten friends kin and brethren,
    the Saints I forget but not you.

FleaMarket
  • Be thar gold in these them hills?

I'm curious too, but also kind of up for a dig.

• ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Blocks cryptocurrency miners all over the web.

MinerBlock is an efficient browser extension that focuses on blocking browser-based cryptocurrency miners all over the web.

The extension uses two different approaches to block miners. The first one is based on blocking requests/scripts loaded from a blacklist, this is the traditional approach adopted by most ad-blockers and other mining blockers.

The other approach which makes MinerBlock more efficient against cryptojacking is detecting potential mining behavior inside loaded scripts and kills them immediately.

This makes the extension able to block inline scripts as well as miners running through proxies.

• I've found this one for FireFox.

I'm using it now, thanks for the heads up.

• FleaMarketFleaMarket Veteran
    edited April 2022

I'm still confused why this is something I should be concerned with? Is my browser at risk of being mined for crypto? Is this something compromising the site?

@Kotishka That add-on doesn't seem too popular and I see the developer actively telling people to disable their anti-virus in the comments section. I don't know much about this stuff but it seems a little sus.

person
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited April 2022

@FleaMarket Hmmm! Good point!

Not sure what to say... I can only contribute with saying that it has the risk of being out-dated. Maybe @Linc and his IT skills can enlighten us a bit more... unless he is too busy with his own stuff and managing to keep this forum up -great merit to you Link!-

:smile:

Edit: The addon detects one miner: Mineralt

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Indeed, what is this? I didn't realize crypto mining could be done via browsers.

You mean someone is hacking NewBuddhist for crypto? Or is it that someone's browser is corrupted and is being used to mine crypto?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s odd because the forum doesn’t include any adds which might trigger this. Perhaps @linc can clarify whats going on.

• I think until @ShanJieshi2 or @Linc has more info, seems like a non-issue for me though seeing @ShanJieshi2 reply elsewhere and not fill in details around this post is concerning to me as they were the one issuing a warning to us? I also checked and Firefox has default browser miner blockers. That particular miner "Mineralt" looks like it is sourced from github where it hasn't even been updated on github since 2017.

I'm just curious where @ShanJieshi2 went after all the sensation they stirred up. O.o

• ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Here I am! and the firefox addon that prevents miner keeps giving me the same warning about mineralt.
    "...mining cryptocurrencies with visits constitutes a very lucrative business, both for the websites themselves that achieve a much more effective form of funding than advertising, and through the execution of malware by third parties."
    I hope they can solve it. I understand that it must be some lines of code to execute.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2022

I don't know what any of this means. Could someone translate into plain English, please?

The OP should notify Linc, our Admin, if there's some kind of risk or problem with the website.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Could someone translate into plain English, please?

Move along, nothing to see. Storm in a tea cup. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

oh … you want the rabbit hole? >:)

https://www.simplilearn.com/what-is-computer-security-article

https://cybersecurityguide.org/resources/cybersecurity-101/

Bunks
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

In a cavern in a canyon
    Excavating for a mine
    Dwelt a miner 49er
    And his daughter Clementine

This represents everything I know about miners.
    This current species of miners seems like trouble, maybe.
    Or maybe not, if I leave them alone.
    Minors could also be trouble.
    But I leave them alone too.

KotishkaBunks