Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shall we foregather in the Garden....?

13»

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2022

My strawberries all got munched before we could try them last year. Snails, slugs, mice, & rats are the most likely suspects. This is my latest moat-building attempt at least eliminating a couple of those raiders from their nighttime snacks. I guess putting an inverted bowl halfway up the pole might also make it more rodent-proof. Of course, that might just give the local raccoons a nice seating dining platform.
    Dammm.
    Just observed a squirrel eating off the new buds on my ornamental maple tree for the first time. My list of veggy marauders is growing.

FleaMarketKotishkalobsterVastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

They obviously feel safe knowing that you’re a buddhist…

Kotishkahowlobster
  • It is hard @how.
    I only grow weeds, herbs and flowers. Some weeds double up as wild flowers. Today a magpie was dismantling a coconut husk lined hanging basket for nesting material. I like magpies, they belong to the crow family. Slugs and snails rather like my primulas but I try and provide alternative munchies. My one squirrel visitor turns up with peanuts to bury.
    The garden Buddhas are guarding some geraniums, which should start flowering soon …

Buddha Nature and nature is change/impermanent/transitory …

howrocala
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hi everyone…..I’m keeping it simple this year. Basil, cilantro,dill,chives and cherry tomatoes. You all better pray for me. The same damn bugs tried all the patience I had last year. Rose garden is a work in progress. Nice place for morning coffee. =)

Kotishkahowlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

My garden is a mess. The grass is in desperate need of a good cut, there are plants growing where I really don't want them and should have moved them ages ago; I have plants in pots that need a space to grow; I have shrubs that need pruning, and a hedge that needs clipping. If anyone feels like giving this old bird with a gammy leg, a hand...!

KotishkaJeroenVastmind
  • Here are two of my garden helpers, bird and rodent controller and Buddha who is very popular with the cats for some reason …

Kotishkarocala
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:
    My garden is a mess. The grass is in desperate need of a good cut, there are plants growing where I really don't want them and should have moved them ages ago; I have plants in pots that need a space to grow; I have shrubs that need pruning, and a hedge that needs clipping. If anyone feels like giving this old bird with a gammy leg, a hand...!

Its a bit of a ways from the Netherlands, otherwise I might have come a-visiting…

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You'd be very welcome, @Jeroen !

• Spearsley, Feebriel, and The Spires of Snek Point. Part of my indoor garden.

Kotishkalobster

I have 70 houseplants... Kew Gardens ain't got nuthin' on me!

FleaMarket
  • @federica said:
    I have 70 houseplants... Kew Gardens ain't got nuthin' on me!

Lemme see. Mine need penpals and don't get out much.

lobsterVastmindShoshin1

Shoshin1
    edited May 2022

My focus is crap, but I took the pictures quickly....

TBH, I actually have 107, if you count the plants individually...

VastmindFleaMarket
  • Yours are quite nice. It feels like nature is in there with you rather than being borrowed from outside like here. I may need to re-evaluate my capability for a few more. I think after my herbs died on my countertop I took a step back to make sure everything else lived.

federica
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

My moated barrel now producing as much slug free lettuce & kale as we can consume.

FleaMarketlobsterVastmindKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Outstanding @how

I hope for doing similar in the future god buddha fate willing. At the moment I rarely have a few minutes to garden. Slugs are happy eating my flowers, nasturtiums … and mexican marigold seeds sprouting. I do have a few herbs growing. Parslay, thyme, hyssop, white horehound, some exotics mints (Thai and lemon), chives, garlic etc …

I am also keen on wild flowers aka weeds … geraniums flowering.
    How wonderful.

🦞

• rocalarocala Explorer

A few years ago I was with a small group staying at a house on the island of Iona in the Inner Hebrides. A part of the agreement was that we did some work in the garden. Everything is organic and all waste is composted.
    A lovely aspect of the task was that where ever possible we incorporated garden produce into our cooking.
    This is a corner of the garden at sunrise.

KotishkalobsterFleaMarket
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Found a dark corner to host my hostas …

FleaMarketrocala
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran

My strawberries keep getting sick. Brownish leaves starting at the tips...ah!

My garden is a disgrace. It's become too much for me to manage single-handed, and my H. isn't in the slightest bit interested in gardening, apart from cutting the lawn (I hate lawns. They're a waste of space. I'd get rid of mine altogether if I could, but it really is too much for me to contemplate.)
    H is away at the moment, so my wonderful daughter, who already has a F/T job, has been round the past couple of afternoons, to help me try to establish some kind of order...
    It's overgrown and FULL of pernicious, persistent and pestilent weeds - particularly nettles (not too hard to get rid of) and Alkanet (I swear it has its roots in hell; you need mining rights to dig them out completely! Leave one piece in there, and the devil sends up two shoots to replace the one you pulled)

When H comes back, I'm going to plead with him to let me employ a gardener for a couple of hours a month, to come and help me make some sense of this mess.

While we're all fearful of the damage being done to the Amazon Forest, I think my garden currently comes a close second....

lobsterJeroenKotishka
  • rocalarocala Explorer
    edited May 2022

You cannot have too many houseplants. I get very attached to them. I have several that originated in my grandmother's house thirty years ago.

• Lots of happy plants and lots of good ideas. Mine told me they were lonely so I got them some company today. Two newbies on what is apparently becoming an incense table. I've not named them yet though.

lobsterShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2022

Nettles eh? @federica - delicious. I grow alkanet due to its bee friendly flowers and hell based rooting system. I also liked wild geranium and dandelions.

Eh wait … I may just have a weed patch with a few flowers thrown in … :3

• NugaiNugai Ireland New

I enjoy growing orchids as they are sometimes quite challenging. I'm hoping to start overhauling my garden this summer :)

lobster

@FleaMarket said:
    Lots of happy plants and lots of good ideas. Mine told me they were lonely so I got them some company today. Two newbies on what is apparently becoming an incense table. I've not named them yet though.

I have 2 ZZ plants, @FleaMarket I water them twice a year.

• FleaMarketFleaMarket Veteran
    edited May 2022

@federica said:
    I have 2 ZZ plants, @FleaMarket I water them twice a year.

Ah thanks for the heads up. I actually thought it was a rubber plant til you said that. If I get a few more green friends I might start grouping them based on how often they prefer to be watered. Right now I just kinda wait til they're 2-3 days of being droopy and everything indoors gets the same soil mix which isn't exactly ideal yet.

@rocala Those must be quite the focal point after 30 years of growth. I've seen a few pictures of long-lasting house plants and I like how they sort of just take over their respective area of the home.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

my weed patch …

federica
    edited June 2022
    edited June 2022

I now have a tortoise. So what once were pernicious and invasive weeds, are now excellent fodder and essential nutrients for my little Shelley.

JeroenShoshin1lobsterKotishka
  • @lobster said:
    Eh wait … I may just have a weed patch with a few flowers thrown in
    my weed patch …

You bloody pot head @lobster ;);)

My weed patch

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I place the pots on weeds. If I have the time weeds composted and pot plant, planted.
    … meanwhile Rasta buddha bees are attracted by my presently flowering lavender …

• KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited November 2022

Bodhigarden update ->

Mosca blanca... the reason Precept 1 goes to hell with them and me....

Also, this is my "harvest field" and the two italian peppers are growing quite well afteer 6 months of battle -Lanzarote's sun can be viciously strong-. Now there are a few gaps and I do not know what could be added.... any recommendations?

Anyone know what this means? My "fake" Madagascar jazmin is getting sick :(

This is the "Herb-square". Basil, perejil and lavander <3

Your Madagascar Jasmine needs feeding.

• @federica

So be it. That baby is getting fertilised tomorrow ;) Grazie mile.

@Kotishka said:
    @federica

So be it. That baby is getting fertilised tomorrow ;) Grazie mile.

It also hates hard water, or tap water. Rain water is optimal. If that's a hard thing to come by, collect some tap water and leave it standing in the sun for 24 hours.

howlobster
  • @federica
    Okay...we do have hard water here and rain water...well, rare.

I will follow your advice and hopefully will return with good news! :D Thanks again