Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All things Sport(s)

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The Red Sox made one major new addition with Trevor Story, who will be playing 2B, but that makes a killer infield with Devers and Bogaerts, and JD Martinez at DH. As long as the the four of them stay healthy I have no worries about the offense. The rotation is made up of more or less the same pieces as last year, which was good for a deep play off run. So I have good hope they will be competitive, and with the new play-off structure it won’t be so hard anymore in the AL East if say Tampa and Toronto put up strong teams (which looks likely) and we have four teams in the division with more than 90 wins.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    The Red Sox made one major new addition with Trevor Story, who will be playing 2B, but that makes a killer infield with Devers and Bogaerts, and JD Martinez at DH. As long as the the four of them stay healthy I have no worries about the offense. The rotation is made up of more or less the same pieces as last year, which was good for a deep play off run. So I have good hope they will be competitive, and with the new play-off structure it won’t be so hard anymore in the AL East if say Tampa and Toronto put up strong teams (which looks likely) and we have four teams in the division with more than 90 wins.

Yes, Trevor Story used to be at the Rockies. Good player!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Yeah, look forward to seeing him play. The Dodgers look like the team to beat this year, its in a bit of flux with the Braves winning the World Series last year, the Astro’s maybe being less of a force.

Bunks

Yes!!!

Jeroen

I saw that PSV - Leicester in the Europa Conference League was a 0-0 draw in Leicester.

Bunks

Surprising how Chelsea came back against Real Madrid with a 1-3 away score to force overtime, only to lose it to a late goal which made it ‘only’ a 2-3 loss for Madrid, allowing them to go through on goal difference.

And Villareal knocked out Bayern after playing an amazingly defensive game in Munich to come away with a 1-1 draw.

Bunks

Both games were awesome! Got up at 5am to watch.

@Jeroen said:
    Benfica v Liverpool 3-3 (4-6 agg)
    Man City v Atlético 0-0 (1-0 agg)
    Villarreal v Bayern 1-1 (2-1 agg)
    Chelsea v Real Madrid 3-2 aet (4-5 agg)

The QF of the Champions League had some cracking matches, Liverpool v Benfica had a lot of goals as Liverpool was holding off Benfica’s attempt to create an upset.

The semi-finals are:

Man City v Real Madrid
    Liverpool v Villarreal

I think Liverpool will have the beating of Villarreal, but Man City v Real Madrid is going to be a tough match.

Not sure if you saw the Man City V Atletico game @Jeroen ? Poor old Phil Foden will be feeling sore tomorrow. They gave him the treatment

Yeah I saw that foul on Foden, he was walking around with a turban on his head afterwards!

This gave me some pleasure this morning…

Nice! Brazil and Argentina are coming to play a WCQ in Melbourne in June :)

edited April 2022

@Bunks said:

Sounds like something for which it might be possible to get tickets in Oz… If it was in Europe they’d sell out for sure, but Melbourne? Maybe not. I’m just ever so slightly jealous.

@Jeroen said:

@Bunks said:

Sounds like something for which it might be possible to get tickets in Oz… If it was in Europe they’d sell out for sure, but Melbourne? Maybe not. I’m just ever so slightly jealous.

Yes, the venue fits 100k so pretty easy to get a ticket I think.
    I’m going to watch Man United in Melbourne in July which should be fun. Hopefully Newcastle will visit some day…

edited April 2022

The first leg of the Champions League semi-finals was played this week…

Man City v Real Madrid 4-3
    Liverpool v Villarreal 2-0

The Man City game was crazy; City were 2-0 up after fifteen minutes, but Real kept coming back, although they never got level. Benzema’s penalty in the 82nd minute made it 4-3 as opposed to 4-2. Everything still to play for as City take a slender lead to Madrid, and that game is unlikely to remain scoreless.

Villarreal were largely defensive in the game with Liverpool, as expected, and mounted very little in the way of attacks. They eventually buckled under the pressure early in the second half, where Liverpool had a shot deflected in, and Mane added a second minutes afterwards. A wag on Youtube said: Liverpool lets it be known they are not Bayern.

The second leg is played next week.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:

Man City v Real Madrid 4-3
    Liverpool v Villarreal 2-0

The Man City game was crazy; City were 2-0 up after fifteen minutes, but Real kept coming back, although they never got level. Benzema’s penalty in the 82nd minute made it 4-3 as opposed to 4-2. Everything still to play for as City take a slender lead to Madrid, and that game is unlikely to remain scoreless.

Villarreal were largely defensive in the game with Liverpool, as expected, and mounted very little in the way of attacks. They eventually buckled under the pressure early in the second half, where Liverpool had a shot deflected in, and Mane added a second minutes afterwards. A wag on Youtube said: Liverpool lets it be known they are not Bayern.

The second leg is played next week.

Hard too see Villarreal making up a 2 goal deficit next week. They really appear to be a fair way behind Liverpool. They've done extremely well to get this far.

Man City v Real Madrid should be a cracker!

@Bunks said:
    Hard too see Villarreal making up a 2 goal deficit next week. They really appear to be a fair way behind Liverpool. They've done extremely well to get this far.

I agree, they were lucky to knock out Bayern in the previous round. Danjuma making 6 goals in the Champions League alone really helped them, on top of very solid defensive performances. But a 2 goal deficit against the Liverpool defense, I don’t see them managing that.

Man City v Real Madrid should be a cracker!

Yeah might wel be the game of the tournament. Madrid have to attack, and will leave gaps in the defence. The thing is, counterattacking football doesn’t suit Guardiola’s teams, they are better when pressing in defence or in possession. Anything could happen.

Bunks

Tonight’s Villarreal v Liverpool game was explosive, a super high-energy start meant Villarreal drew level on aggregate in just the first half, but couldn’t stay goalless and Liverpool even won the game 2-3. Exciting, edge-of-the-seat stuff.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:

Real Madrid v Manchester City 3-1 (6-5 agg)
    Villarreal v Liverpool 2-3 (2-5 agg)

The Real Madrid v Man City game was kinda cagy; City went 1-0 up and had chances to score a second in the second half, but in the end conceded two quick goals, and it went to extra time, where a Karim Benzema penalty proved decisive for the tie.

I feel somewhat sorry for Guardiola, every year he is there with a superbly playing team but he never wins, would have liked to see Man City get this prize.

Liverpool will play Real Madrid in the final on Satuday 28th May, at the Stade de France, Paris.

Bunks

The red sox started the season 10-17, that’s pretty dreadful, and they were supposed to be a stronger team than last year!

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    The red sox started the season 10-17, that’s pretty dreadful, and they were supposed to be a stronger team than last year!

Yes, not sure what’s going on there!

The Rockies are 15-11 and third in the division. Looks like it will be a tight race in the NL West this year.

edited May 2022

They’re doing worse than the Orioles! Foot of the division! Nine games behind the yankees already. Sigh. Good for practicing detachment.

Bunks

10-19 now. Even when they have more hits they still lose. Abominable.

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    I’m going to watch Man United in Melbourne in July which should be fun. Hopefully Newcastle will visit some day…

I was going to go see Man U play as a fan. Now I think I'll go to sledge sighs

Bunks

Not only are the red sox losing now, they’re even getting swept. By the white sox.

Bunks

@SuraShine said:

@Bunks said:

I was going to go see Man U play as a fan. Now I think I'll go to sledge sighs

Yes it’s been an awful season for them by their lofty standards and the players they have. Perhaps when they get a proper manager in the summer it will improve.

SuraShine

I watched the FA Cup final between Chelsea and Liverpool, and it went to penalties.

The red sox have won a couple of games, but they are still 13-20. A long way behind.

Bunks

Its odd, but three players on the red sox team are playing well, with batting averages in the .320 range. Everyone else though is awful and playing below .200.

The red sox nearly swept the Texas Rangers, so they’ve played a few decent games.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    Its odd, but three players on the red sox team are playing well, with batting averages in the .320 range. Everyone else though is awful and playing below .200.

The red sox nearly swept the Texas Rangers, so they’ve played a few decent games.

Just watching Red Sox v Astros this morning at home. Red Sox 1-0 bottom of the 1st

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Bunks Carlton are having a good run tho

@Bunks said:

@Jeroen said:

Just watching Red Sox v Astros this morning at home. Red Sox 1-0 bottom of the 1st

Didn’t turn out so well for the sox last night, sad to say. 11-4 loss with Eovaldi giving up five home runs.

Bunks

@SuraShine said:
    @Bunks Carlton are having a good run tho

Yes! I have to rub my eyes every time I look at the ladder. We play your Swans this week. Should be a good game

Frankfurt prevailed over Glasgow Rangers this morning in the Europa League Final. Always feel for the losing team in a penalty shoot out. Seems a cruel way to go down

Still, given that Villareal, who are seventh in Spain’s La Liga, made it to the Champion’s League semifinals, I’m a little surprised to see Rangers there and not a Spanish or Italian team. Pity that they lost, a Rangers win would have been a good story.

Bunks

Did you hear about the stage winner in the Giro d’Italia (cycling tour of Italy) who had to leave the tour because while celebrating his win he got hit in the eye by the cork of the champagne bottle he was opening?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Any news on the other team? I would like to not support the distractions.

The other team… from behind the Iron Curtain

Speaking of sport....here's our current PM on the election trail! Look out kids....

Shoshin1Jeroen

The Red Sox win! Yeaah… 3 home runs and 7 runs batted in for Trevor Story in an 11-6 win over the Mariners.

Bunks

The red sox win again! One grand slam by Trevor Story and a 3-run homer by Jackie Bradley Jnr made up a 7-4 win against the Mariners.

Ok I’ll stop now.

@Bunks said:
    Speaking of sport....here's our current PM on the election trail! Look out kids....

Why is it that Australian politicians are so deeply embarassing?

@Jeroen said:

@Bunks said:

Why is it that Australian politicians are so deeply embarassing?

Australia is a huge and very diverse country so our representation mimics that.

A short speech from one of my favourites - Bob Katter in North Queensland.

Shoshin1

A walk off grand slam in the 10th inning, that’s a pretty great feeling for the Red Sox. 8-4 win, completing a sweep of the mariners at home in Fenway Park.

Bunks

And then this kind of loss to the Orioles, Whitlock pitches a stellar 6 innings allowing only two runs and the Sox score nine… all goes well… until the bullpen spontaneously combust and give up 10 (!!) runs in the last 3 innings to lose the game 9-12. Outrageous.

Bunks

Champions League final last night, the organisation was a shambles, kickoff half an hour late, fans tear-gassed after the game.

Real Madrid ceded possession to Liverpool for large stretches of the game, but Liverpool were unable to get through a solid defense to score. They created a series of half-chances, but the Madrid goalkeeper Thibault Courtois had a stellar game and kept them out. Then in the second half Madrid snatched a goal on the break through Vinucius Junior, and ended up winning the game 1-0.

Bunks

Just finished watching the play off between Notts Forest and Huddersfield to see who would be the third English team promoted to the EPL.

Forest won but Huddersfield were denied what appeared to be two clear penalties even though VAR was used. Strange.....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2022

The stage is set for an NBA finals between the Golden State Warriors who are like a dynasty in the last 6 years but had a lot of injuries and other challenges in the last 2 years. They play the Boston Celtics who in my mind is a bigger stronger also skillful team and I like many of their players. I'm predicting 4 games to 2 Celtic loss, but maybe sensing number 42 on Celtics Al Horford could be fun to watch. He's a role player on the team not one of their stars but is nonetheless impressive.

Bunks

Saw the summary of game 1 of the nba finals, epic celtics comeback in the 4th quarter.

Red Sox playing a series against the LA angels, who just lost 11 in a row. First game, sox win 1-0 as Michael Wacha pitches a complete game shut-out.

Bunks

Australia are one step closer to the FIFA World Cup after a win against UAE this morning.

There are still two spots to be filled with two final games next week to determine them.

NZ v Costa Rica
    Australia v Peru

In all honesty, any of these teams is just making up the numbers in Qatar but it's always fun for your team to make it :)

Jeroen

Red sox winning another close one against the angels, a 6-5 win in the 10th inning. The angels have now lost 13 in a row.

Bunks