Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What tradition (if any) do you follow?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all

Just curious to know the following about the regular folk who post on this site.

Reckon we've done this before but I am curious to know again.

1. Do you consider yourself Buddhist?
  2. If no, what? Do you mix Buddhism with another religion?
  3. If yes, what tradition(s) do you primarily follow?

I'll start...

1. Yes
  2. N/A
  3. Pure Land Buddhism with a sprinkling of Theravadan
Shoshin1JeroenFleaMarket

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited April 2022
    1. I consider myself a seeker with strong buddhist leanings. I’m reluctant to call myself a Buddhist really because my ideas and commitments are not mainly buddhist.

2. I’ve become more a perennialist over the past two years, that is, I believe that all traditions and religions contain a core of the same feeling and goal. Primarily I look at Advaita Vedanta and Taoism as well as Buddhism.

3. My buddhism goes primarily to Thai Forest Theravada and Vietnamese Zen (Thich Nhat Hanh), although I am planning a visit to Dzogchen because I’ve heard it is very similar to Advaita Vedanta.

I’ve found Samaneri Jayasara’s YouTube channel to have been right up my street. She tackles a range of traditions in a perennialist way which I find very appealing.

BunksFleaMarketSophie139
  • Hi Bunks,

1. Yes.
    2. Thai Forest Tradition & Zen.

Both schools I see as complementary. While the Thai Forest is very direct with "simple, crispy clear instructions", the Zen school does give me a few insights which, while challenging and mind boogling, have aided the first ones practice, and viceversa. The discipline stressed by the Thai Forest Tradition has been essential to even be able to practice shikantaza. What I miss sometimes is maybe a sangha that shares the same time-zone and geography to discuss and talk.

Lanzarote has two Buddhist centres, both Gelug. Don't know if it is better to frequent them to have some contact or if it is better not to keep mixing the ingredients in the mind's pot and also, potentially, disturb others practice as I have no intention to practice Vajrayana. They say Buddhism without a teacher can become like a messy garden. You attend the front display and let certain weeds proliferate and then adjust them to your needs, which at the end can hinder the path.

JeroenFleaMarketBunksShoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

That’s interesting @Kotishka, I started out by studying at a Gelug temple. I found them to be very hospitable and good places to learn the basics, although not very focussed on practice outside of the monastic circle. There were puja’s you could attend but there wasn’t any meditative sitting.

Shoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

1: Yes
    2: I'm keen on some aspects of Mahayana, and I find myself occasionally harking back to Catholicism - not always in a good way, more of a critique - it was after all, a habit of a lifetime...
    3: Probably Theravadin, but I'm open to other aspects and views...

BunksFleaMarketShoshin1
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran
    Do you consider yourself Buddhist?

Yes
    If no, what? Do you mix Buddhism with another religion?
    No
    If yes, what tradition(s) do you primarily follow?
    Ch'an actually

BunksFleaMarketShoshin1
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2022
    1. Yes
    2. No, unless nature-worship counts
    3. Tendai and Chán

I used to be more hotly persuant of Tendai Buddhism. I've found Chán to be a more accomodating path, almost like it's "default Buddhism." There are no big expectations that you'll have to pin your life, rhetorically-speaking, to any one set of sūtras or śāstras, the teachers are often more open-minded and less doctrinaire, etc. I don't regret my time spent in Tendai training at all. The abbot of the temple I visit, Cham Shan, has a dharma transmission associated with the Tendai sect too, so I haven't wandered far.

BunksFleaMarketShoshin1
    1. I am barely Hunuman Human but I do aspire to BuddhaHoodiness o:)
    2. I mix up everything. I consider Jains, Hindus and Sikhs as almost Dharma Sisters, brothers and cousins. I like Sufi and Gnostic Christianity. I practice yoga and pray to the great Sky Cod God
    3. My primary Buddhist traditions are Zenith shikantaza, vajrayana and lately hinayana Theravada.
    JeroenFleaMarketShoshin1
    1. Yes & No
    2. Taoism & Zen
    3. The Tao/Way of Buddha Dharma...
      I guess going with the flow of what tickles my fancy.. I'm partial to Theravadin Mahayana Vajayana, and Banana ....

Thus have I heard ...All roads lead to Rome...well eventually..

lobsterJeroenFleaMarket
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I do consider myself a Buddhist

I started my Buddhism with a heavy dose of Gelug Tibetan Buddhism for many years, then drifted away and when I came back to it I had changed enough that many things about it no longer appealed to me. I then spent a couple years with a western Theravada group but also was allergic to certain aspects. So now I practice a mishmash of mainly western Theravada with a healthy mix of modern positive psychology/spirituality. I'm on my own path now, away from any group, I listen to a few hours of Buddhist and psychology podcasts while working to keep connected.

lobsterJeroenFleaMarketShoshin1
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Hi all,

1 -Yes, not a "good" one, but a Buddhist all the same.
    2 - I was born and raised Catholic and it does flavour my Buddhism. The first book I ever read was "Living Buddha, Living Christ" and then "Awakening The Buddha Within" TNH heavily influences my practice, as does Lama Surya Das and I follow both their accounts on Instagram.
    3 - I am a mix of Tibetan and Zen as I consider TNH and Lama Surya Das my teachers. I have also undergone Green Tara Empowerment and took formal Boddhisattva vows last year. I found it profound and highly meaningful to me.

JeroenBunksFleaMarketShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    2 - I feel caution to look for syncretism. I get too much in my head and need to go into physical exertion.

Ah ha! Flexibility. Physical exertion is all around us. Very real, intense and modifying. For example my resident elderly fell on the top of the steep steps today with only a mad lobster to pull her up. Luckily screaming and swearing for help brought her up. She is safely in bed having dementia nightmares.

Physical pain, intense trauma, respond well to counter irritants such as Buddhist Prostrations, speed walking or even 'will movement' overcoming stagnating emotion with will power/exertion.

All practice. <3

BunksJeroenFleaMarket

@lobster said:
    For example my resident elderly fell on the top of the steep steps today with only a mad lobster to pull her up.

@lobster you do good work, and bring a smile to this little world while doing it.

• rocalarocala Explorer

I suppose to be honest "seeker" is the best description. Buddhism has been and remains the largest influence but I am very drawn to Modern Druidry.

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    rocala
  • ElizEliz Arizona, USA Explorer

I'm a little late answering this question. :)

1. Yes, I do.
    2. Thai Forest Theravada is the tradition that I follow. I explored other traditions earlier in my practice (Zen and Mahayana) but I have found that Theravada really resonates with me the most and is the path that I follow now.
    BunksJeroenFleaMarket
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The time is always later than we think or just right, dependent on the tradition. Personally I like all facets of the jewelled sangha. A real potential inspiration. <3

How fortunate that online adepts can adapt our behavour just by example and talks. The dharma has so much to offer …

BunksEliz
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Eliz said:

1. Yes, I do.
    2. Thai Forest Theravada is the tradition that I follow. I explored other traditions earlier in my practice (Zen and Mahayana) but I have found that Theravada really resonates with me the most and is the path that I follow now.

Better late than never <3

Eliz

@Eliz said:
    Thai Forest Theravada is the tradition that I follow.

It’s funny how the Thai Forest tradition has turned out to be quite influential in this poll.

ElizBunks
  • ElizEliz Arizona, USA Explorer

@Bunks said:

@Eliz said:

1. Yes, I do.

Better late than never <3

Thanks, @Bunks <3

Bunks

@Jeroen said:

@Eliz said:
    Thai Forest Theravada is the tradition that I follow.

It’s funny how the Thai Forest tradition has turned out to be quite influential in this poll.

I think its down to earth nature and simple instructions to remain in the present moment appeal to Westerners.
    Some of the other traditions probably feel a little mystic or difficult to understand.

BunksElizKotishkaFleaMarket

I made this. I don't know if it's totally right, but I counted up what everyone said.

Eliz

@Vimalajāti said:
    I made this. I don't know if it's totally right, but I counted up what everyone said.

Nice work <3

Banana haha :p

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    1. Yes
    2. N/A
    3. A sort of "pick and mix" of East Asian Mahayana but Soto-Zen and Pureland are the perspectives are the ones I focus the most on. I try and avoid labelling myself (and things in general) too much though as this is something Im prone to if not careful.
    JeroenFleaMarketBunks
  • NugaiNugai Ireland New

Do you consider yourself Buddhist?

Yes

If yes, what tradition(s) do you primarily follow?

I am following the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh and Plum Village so I guess this is mainly from a Mahayana perspective, that draws elements from Zen and Theravada.

JeroenBunksElizFleaMarket

@Nugai said:
    I am following the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh and Plum Village

It’s a very good way to come into Buddhism, there are quite a few people here who follow Thay’s teaching. Have you tried the Plum Village app, it’s very good.

NugaiBunksEliz
  • NugaiNugai Ireland New

@Jeroen said:

@Nugai said:
    I am following the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh and Plum Village

It’s a very good way to come into Buddhism, there are quite a few people here who follow Thay’s teaching. Have you tried the Plum Village app, it’s very good.

Yeah the App is great, I also try and partake as much as I can in some online Sanghas through Plum Village. They have a great network built up.

Bunks