Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Comments

• Talking of action films …

Not sure if I would recommend this. Wrong on so many levels.

… but I enjoyed the silliness, especially around Tibetan Buddhism …

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I remember seeing that a long time ago, it was vaguely fun.

• Beautiful short movie....

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I took my son to the cinema yesterday and we watched “Sing 2”

Thoroughly enjoyable <3

Shoshin1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not really a film... Amazon Prime... Reacher. Portrayed as he is in the books, not as in the "vertically challenged, size 8.5 shoes, diminutive" Tom Cruise movies...

Very good. I recommend it.

Bunks
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Yesterday I found on Youtube a film about Bodhidharma and another one about Huineng.!!!

BunksJeroenlobsterShoshin1
  • Flowers.
    It gets quite emotionally raw so if you like dark comedy/drama, this is on the darker side. I binged both seasons in a single sitting and plan on watching again for more subtleties.

Bunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I've been pleasantly surprised by the new DC series Peacemaker. Its directed by James Gunn who directed Guardians of the Galaxy and has much of the same vibe.

Jeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2022

@person Peacemaker first appeared in darkly comedic 'The Suicide Squad' movie. Wanton violence.

Something for all the dysfunctional family … O.o

Bunks
  • I Heart Huckabees

"How am I not myself?"

Shoshin1
  • Has anyone watched the new Dune movie? Fans of the books? Fans of David Lynch movie? Any opinions?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    Has anyone watched the new Dune movie? Fans of the books? Fans of David Lynch movie? Any opinions?

I heard it was really good, haven’t seen it yet though.

@Jeroen said:

@Jeffrey said:
    Has anyone watched the new Dune movie? Fans of the books? Fans of David Lynch movie? Any opinions?

I heard it was really good, haven’t seen it yet though.

its just the first part..and some story lines are ok.
    Originally in the book and movie they begins with the idea of Jihad...and now..of course ,the line was changed for smething more vague

lobster

i have a PDF with a lot of movies with a Buddhist twist...every with a little synopsis

@ShanJieshi2 said:
    i have a PDF with a lot of movies with a Buddhist twist...every with a little synopsis

https://mega.nz/file/YgphnA7b#Bo-yZSF3DzDVmWJfis-ewpEOBWyRaEOaS9v1Bn2zJPk

I attempted to watch Logan last night, I usually quite enjoy superhero movies. But this one had three brutal fight scenes in the first twenty minutes which involved decapitations, copious blood, body parts chopped off. It was all too much, I stopped watching.

What happened to superhero movies where the hero didn’t kill anyone? In the comics it was always a big thing that nobody died, death was only reserved by great exception for the very worst villains.

• I watched "A Sidewalk Astronomer" yesterday. It's a documentary about John Dobson, who revolutionized amateur telescopes by inventing a cheap base which made possible bigger and better amateur telescopes. He also founded a global movement of "sidewalk astronomers" who showed the stars to the public in the middle of cities.

Prior to becoming a "sidewalk astronomer" he was a Vedanta monk. Somewhere around minute 3 of the documentary he is explaining to a passerby how the Moon only appears to be distant but is in actually not distant at all. A good watch for anyone interested in astronomy (as I am). Granted, the spiritual stuff is not so much.

BunksJeroen
  • I found a @lobster in this one!

Bunks

The AlphaGo story, a nice documentary which won some awards

marcitko
  • Observing similarities between orchestral conductors interpretation of music and how that affects the orchestra's performance of the piece.

Doomsday Book

Bunks

mafia buddhist wisdom

Up to the last Home Alone movie with the kids (there’s 6).
    1,2 and 6 aren’t bad but the other three are pretty awful

This was ok… bit over dramatic…

I saw "The Batman" yesterday

Bunks

The Last Kingdom. A surprisingly good story involving the rules of Alfred the Great and King Edward. Focuses on a fictional warrior caught between Danish and Saxon loyalties.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, my husband's a great fan of the Last Kingdom...
    Sat down to watch a film titled "Fanny Lye Deliver'd" Set during the oppressive puritanical times of Cromwellian England.. didn't finish watching it, as it grew quite late... but here's a taster...

Watched the original Willy Wonka the other night with daughter. She was super keen to show me the subliminal messaging in the scene on the boat. Particularly the chicken having its head cut off.

She has a very dark and wicked sense of humour :)

@Jeffrey said:

Have now seen it. It’s a good movie, quite epic, not so over the top as the David Lynch version or as colourful.

Jeffrey
  • A little thick in the brush but Midnight Gospel on Netflix is interesting considering it reached a mass audience and has Buddhist and other spiritual elements throughout.

It showcases a number of interviews touching upon familiar and difficult topics along with the interviewee's approaches to them for better or worse.

I recall a quote about only needing to leather one's own feet to walk the world leathered. I enjoy this cartoon character collecting shoes from each world he visits. It reminds me of walking the world leathered but in a unique perspective from each person he interviews. Maybe collecting a little bit more understanding of the bigger picture with each visit.

ADULT HUMOR WARNING

Shoshin1BunksVimalajāti
  • St. Vincent (Netflix)

I do not feel the trailer captures the qualities of this movie well enough. The story follows around a grouch who turns out to be a grouch when you get to know him, but he's got some redeeming qualities. A single mother and son move in next door which offer you a window into all three of their lives as they take on their challenges. It's funny, it's touching, it's a little crude and dark. I liked some of the positive messages but definitely cringed on occasion. I am a little bias since I think Bill Murray is just an all around cool dude.

The line that stuck with me from the movie "This food beats hunger...by a hair."

JeffreyBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2022

The Most Reluctant Convert.

About the life of C. S. Lewis who wrote The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Enjoyed the style used to tell the story.

Bunks

Not a film exactly, and I'm just about half way through the first episode alone, but I'm hooked. It's an in-depth study as to "How the Nazis Lost The War" (Netflix). The first half of the first episode narrates the disastrous, uneasy and at times, hostile relationship between Mussolini and Hitler. It offers fascinating insight, and actually confirms what I had in fact believed all along. The Italians were dragged into the war by being fed lies, propaganda and misinformation. When they eventually discovered Mussolini was basically full of shit, the worm turned and the rest, as they say, is History.

This Documentary beats 'Catfish'... By an entire wig.

Bunks
  • Just watched this sad yet beautiful movie Tanna

Even though the film is about tribal life on one of the islands in Vanuatu, the scenery and people reminded me of the time I spent on an island in Fiji (which is also part of Melanesia)...I was fortunate enough to spend a couple of months in Fiji, (back in the mid to late 70s) one of which I spent on this beautiful (tourist free) island as a guest of a Fijian family, experiencing traditional Fijian way of life ...No electricity, no running water ( well apart from the streams and rivers which you bathed in), and no roads, the mode to transport if you wanted to visit another village was either trekking through the bush, or paddling a canoe along the coastline...

lobster
  • Yeshe2019Yeshe2019 Australia New

I watched King Richard a few days ago, it was enjoyable and motivational. looking forward to reading Richard Williams' biography.

Bunksperson
    edited April 2022

I was watching this on Conscious.tv, a website and tv channel which does interviews of a spiritual nature. It’s an interview with Tony Parsons from 2008. Fascinating, he has a great laugh and a lot of presence, really impressed.

http://conscious.tv/single.php?vid=1913973849

edited April 2022

I watched a couple climbing movies this weekend. When I was young I loved climbing things and can easily imagine had a few things been different I could have ended up living this sort of life, though not to this level. I really connect with these guys.
    Free Solo is on Disney+

The Alpinist is on Netflix, at least in the US

Bunks
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@lobster said “ Peacemaker first appeared in darkly comedic 'The Suicide Squad' movie.“

Actually …. finger wag …….Let’s say, …first on screen appearance. He was a lesser known villain making his first show on the scene in The Fightin’ Five. #40 in 1967. He had his own 4 issue mini series in the 80s.

DC super fan lives in my house :p

personlobsterJeroen
  • Sorry SuperFAN.
    Vastmind is your sidekick …

My superpower is being weak (this week) ;)

• @Jeroen said:
    Tonight I went back to an old favorite, the western Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and Richard Harris, directed by Clint Eastwood. An all time classic, with a deep human take on ‘good’ men and ‘bad’ men.

This film has been on the "to watch list" for a good 6-7 years ever since I read on some interview -with David Foster Wallace- that it was his favourite film.

Jeroenhaoto

@Kotishka said:

@Jeroen said:
    Tonight I went back to an old favorite, the western Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and Richard Harris, directed by Clint Eastwood. An all time classic, with a deep human take on ‘good’ men and ‘bad’ men.

This film has been on the "to watch list" for a good 6-7 years ever since I read on some interview -with David Foster Wallace- that it was his favourite film.

I thoroughly recommend it, it bears repeated viewing and ruminating over, and it has a great climax. Wonderful film making.

haoto

@Vimalajāti said:
    "The Little Hours" is pretty good.

I’m finally going to get around to watching this… it was on tv here and I recorded it.

Vimalajāti

I very much WANT to see "Everything, Everywhere, All At Once"....

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2022

@FleaMarket said:
    A little thick in the brush but Midnight Gospel on Netflix is interesting considering it reached a mass audience and has Buddhist and other spiritual elements throughout.

I really liked some of it. The interview with the Wizard guy though was absolutely off the wall. The accompanying animation involving the cats is very fun, but what he says is just too coocoo for me (and I believe in Buddhas!). The other episodes I don't mind at all. I do think though that it is more of a comedy than a lot of reviewers are thinking it is.

@Jeroen said:

@Vimalajāti said:
    "The Little Hours" is pretty good.

I’m finally going to get around to watching this… it was on tv here and I recorded it.

It's a very "colourful" adaption of the Decameron, no?

I saw this movie by Sam Mendes, 1917, today. It’s likely the best piece of cinematography I have ever seen. The movie is shot in these very long takes, with running sequences, plane crashes and everything in period worked into the shots — absolutely awesome.

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    I very much WANT to see "Everything, Everywhere, All At Once"....

well … according to the film … you have … ;)

federica

I have just finished Binge-watching 'Shitt$ creek'
    It's a masterpiece. From start to finish.

Every now and then a series comes out of the USA/Canada, that is both brilliant and hysterically funny.
    I have in the past, enjoyed

M.A.S.H
    Cheers
    Friends
    Frazier

But Shitt$ Creek is modern, observant, poignant, pertinent and an outstanding success.