Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The tombstone exercise

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

This was something I came across recently, called the “tombstone exercise”. Basically you imagine that you’ve been told that you only have a year to live, and you are asked what you’d like to have inscribed on your tombstone. It is intended to make you reflect on your life, whether you are happy with how you’ve lived your life.

Might make you think…

Bunks

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Might make you think…

perfect … I would like mine to say that, no name or anything else …

Good plan!

JeroenBunks
  • The tombstone exercise

Hmm on mine...

FleaMarketlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited June 2022

I like the jokes… but the exercise was meant as a serious spur to self-examination!

For me, it made me ask whether I had lived enough from the heart. I’ve always been quite into planning and strategizing, living from the mind, and have done very few things that were spontaneous. That means I’ve been very ‘sensible’ and non-impulsive, very safe, but also that I haven’t lived from the heart very much.

If you consider what really matters to you, the things that you’d say made your life worthwhile, they’re areas which speak to your passions when you’re young. When you’re a little older you lose that fire, and people often end up in a mid-life crisis.

Nugai
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2022

"Work in progress.
    To be continued..."

And I am perfectly serious.

• Living my life the way I have has lead me to right now. And right now is, and continues to be, the best moment in my whole life simply because I get to actively live and experience it.

Doesn't make much sense on a tombstone. Maybe a placard on a duck bath or park bench.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I intend to be cremated, anyway, and my daughter is perfectly welcome to do whatever she wants with my ashes...

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited June 2022

The tombstone exercise

So many experiences made up this life, too many to mention...

I have no regrets !

lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2022

There's a brand of frozen pizza called Tombstone with the slogan "what do you want on your tombstone?" Leads me to think if I can maybe defray some of the cost for my tombstone etc by putting advertisement. Here lies Jeffrey in a deep rest that is not any more comfortable than Sealy Posurepedic (TM) brand mattresses!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The death that keeps on giving … I likes it. Would you use the proceeds for dana?

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2022

I would use the proceeds to donate to google for all the times I've looked up what foods are safe to share with my dog. Gotta keep him safe!

lobster