Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Healthy Habits

Dear Friends of the Medicine Buddha,

As we know gut bacteria can be improved,
https://www.eatthis.com/gut-health/

so can the nose and mouth biome
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/killer-sinus-infection-how-to-tell-if-yours-is-viral-or-bacterial/

How do you improve your health?

Shoshin1FleaMarketDavid

Comments

• LCHF veggie
    Keep moving

Shoshin1marcitko
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

LCHF, Fasting, cold showers. Supplements: Magnesium, Vitamin B complex. Drinking between 1 and 2 litres of water a day (You can calculate how much your body needs by weighing yourself in Lbs, then halving that figure, and drinking the resulting figure in fl.oz.)

Shoshin1
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My diet is pretty terrible right now.

Running
    Meditation

Shoshin1
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Intermittent fasting
    Water!!!
    No flours no sugar no alcohol no smoke no TV/Radio news
    Keto diet
    Zinc / vitamin C
    Sun

Shoshin1Bunkslobster
  • How do you improve your health?

With healthy thoughts, which leads to healthy actions/behaviour...

BunksmarcitkoSteve_Blobster
  • @Jeffrey said:

• Learn strategies that work for you to do things you don't want to do (example exercise)

Any examples or some that work for you? My tool kit is needing a revamp.

Bunks
  • Great regimes everyone <3
    Particulary like @Jeffrey response.

• Organic veg juice. Yum. I like beetroot and also carrot.
    • As a lobster I have to use cod liver oil. Sorry fishies.
    • Health of mind, body, emotions. Good plan @Jeffrey.

Can we think ourselves into well being? Believe it.
    https://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/history-of-happiness/martin-seligman-psychology/

Bunks
  • @FleaMarket said:

@Jeffrey said:

• Learn strategies that work for you to do things you don't want to do (example exercise)

Any examples or some that work for you? My tool kit is needing a revamp.

Hi I still looking for more strategies. One that works for me is to just do whatever I don't want to do and once it's done then I don't have to worry about it. Example is the exercise. Another strategy is to do at least one thing per day that I didn't want to do. Also obviously we are talking about good things to do but that you avoid doing. Not talking about things you shouldn't do that you also don't want to do! Another strategy is to just do one thing per day that you don't want to do. Or do one half hour of stuff per day that you don't want to do. That way in a month you do 30 things you didn't want to do or you do 15 hours of stuff you didn't want to do!

I'm still looking for more strategies though. Do you have any?

FleaMarket
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2022
    • "know thyself"
    • "nothing to excess"
    • "certainty brings insanity"

… might all be Greek. Makes perfect sense to me.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_thyself
    https://medium.com/indian-thoughts/three-delphic-maxims-to-live-by-a15f55177757

Water, Sun and Air. Get them whilst still free!
    https://buddhaweekly.com/the-first-doctor-medicine-buddha-bhaisajyaguru/

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2022

Why?

House plants for company and to always be reminded of compassion.

Have you considered edible companions? Herbs for example? o:)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

Why?

It's been a tough couple of years. Eating healthily / exercising seems a little pointless these days.....

I keep trying.

lobstermarcitkoShoshin1Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I'm having a vegetable ramen soup for breakfast. Actually that's better than fruit juice and processed wheat. But I'll see whether I like it.

lobster
  • @lobster said:
    Have you considered edible companions? Herbs for example? o:)

I have some near my kitchen window but I haven't used them for cooking yet. I feel bad clipping their little arms I helped grow. Except the green onions. Green onions I'll cut with zeal.

Any close friends you could recommend?

@Bunks said:
    I keep trying.

The struggle is real. Don't give up! If I spent half the time thinking about exercising actually exercising, I wouldn't need to think about it so much. Just gunna start doing a push-up..maybe two every time I think about exercising and decide not to. Like a mental-processing fee...

I always feel better after exercising even if I have to drag myself kicking and screaming. Why is it so easy to keep setting aside?

BunkslobsterShoshin1
  • Green onions I'll cut with zeal.

Unless following extra precepts, chives and garlic are good. Depends on the tastes you like. You can grow dwarf chillies indoors, if sufficient light. Parsley is slow growing but makes a fun garnish.
    https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/herbs-indoors/8920.html

BunksFleaMarket
  • I keep trying.

Me too.

I always feel better after exercising even if I have to drag myself kicking and screaming.

Understood. Kicking and screaming is our undisciplined 'monkey/mind/being'. We all know samsara.

What works for me is a realistic regime. At the moment I walk one day and exercise the next.

FleaMarket
  • @Jeroen said:
    I'm having a vegetable ramen soup for breakfast. Actually that's better than fruit juice and processed wheat. But I'll see whether I like it.

Good breakfast.

Sometimes make my own. Korean buckwheat noodles, spring onions, Ayurveda herbs, vegetarian stock … that sort of thing …
    https://www.yummly.co.uk/recipes/ramen-soup-with

• I'm still looking for more strategies though. Do you have any?

Mood changers:

BunksJeffreyFleaMarket
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited March 2022

My blood pressure is on the high side as well @lobster, my gp has been on the case trying to get me to do things about it. Diet and exercise, losing weight…

Bunks
  • @lobster said:
    Today found out I am nearly dead. High blood pressure.

I had high blood pressure.
    This is what I found: medication helps, but only to an extent. It lowers it (ball-park figure) by 10-20.
    To significantly lower it, medication plus lifestyle changes work best. Do not underrestimate lifesyle changes, combined they will lower it more than just medication.
    Get thin (1kg = 1 lower)
    No salt
    Exercise
    No/limit coffee, alchohol, black tea,smoking

It is possible to drastically lower blood pressure just with medication and lifestyle changes. Good luck!

Bunkslobster
  • Thanks everyone.
    Already feeling better. B) Exercise and cutting salt. Great plan. :+1:

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I agree with marcitko about lifestyle choices being as important as blood pressure medicines.
    Is higher or lower blood pressure a symptom or a cause of poor health?
    The more you study blood pressure, the less agreement you may find between the leading scientists specializing in this particular field of inquiry. It would seem that not only is there great variations in what will affect each person's blood pressure treatment but there are also great differences in who is medically impacted by blood pressure variations and who does not seem to be.
    While scientists would very much like to find a reliable correlation of a human's health according to their blood pressure readings because of the ease by which it can be measured, most of it is at best, is just a hopeful generality.
    I am not advocating here that one shouldn't try to either lower or raise one's blood pressure levels where ever they are detrimentally affecting one's health, just that this is one medical puzzle that still has too many missing pieces to blindly follow without asking a lot of hard questions about our assumptions about it all.

BunkslobsterDavid
  • Thanks @how

I only did my own reading because I was left a loaned blood pressure meter by a paramedic for my mother.

However … it did make me aware that I am inadvertently eating too much salt, butter, cheese and dead animal carcasses.

Could do better …
    https://www.livi.co.uk/your-health/8-ways-to-make-healthier-food-choices-every-day/

• @lobster said:
    Mood changers:

• Smell. You can buy essential oils and just sniff as required. For example citrus makes many of us happy.

I am interested in hearing more about this. Do you use oils for smell? How so? I like incense but do not like the particulates. Any places of recommendation?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    Thanks @how

I only did my own reading because I was left a loaned blood pressure meter by a paramedic for my mother.

However … it did make me aware that I am inadvertently eating too much salt, butter, cheese and dead animal carcasses.

Rubbish. You can't have too much of those.

The REAL 'killer' is carbohydrates.

For example:
    You take metformin for Diabetes II. Metformin lowers your blood sugar levels by improving the way your body handles insulin. Carbohydrates are all basically different forms of sugar, in the end. Now comes the kicker:
    In order for Metformin to function adequately, it needs carbohydrates to work on.
    So you need to increase your intake of Carbs, which in turn, leads to an increased dosage of Metformin. Which needs higher levels of carbs. Which mean that,....

Getting the picture?
    The food industry and the Big Pharmaceuticals, working in harmony to make you sick, while making them rich.

Yes, I admit it. I have done the 180.
    I am currently supporting my daughter in a lifestyle of a carnivore regimen, which, after careful consideration and not a small amount of research (quite a lot, actually) seems to be an excellent fit and commendable way of life.
    I'm not about to attempt to convert anyone here to doing likewise, but am confidently enjoying it very much, and have already, one fortnight in, seen some remarkable changes, convincing me quite persuasively, that it's actually got a lot going for it.

• Rubbish. You can't have too much of those.

The REAL 'killer' is carbohydrates.

I find eating rubbish and salt is not nutrition.
    As for killer carbs, many people would die and are for lack of a few more.

Still … faddish eating is a Western privilege.

I am interested in hearing more about this. Do you use oils for smell? How so? I like incense but do not like the particulates. Any places of recommendation?

Anywhere they sell essential oils and allow you to sniff out your mood changers.
    https://www.redstormscientific.com/10-best-essential-oils-for-mood/

For me:
    Lavender just a great oil
    Frankincense for spiritual remembrance/association
    Chamomile - relaxation
    Citrus fragrances for happiness
    Sandalwood - concentration

• lobsterlobster Veteran

What about GABA found in tomatoes and produced by meditation, yoga and tai chi?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Γ-Aminobutyric_acid
    https://eocinstitute.org/meditation/meditation-boosts-your-gaba/

Jeffrey

I have been eating Boemboe, a spicy kind of green beans dish from Java. Very nice.

Bunks
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I've been eating pickles as a source of fiber, but when I next go to the grocery I'm looking forwards to the seasonal fruits. I like strong tasting food so I don't mind the extreme sour of the pickle terribly.

• A mysterious stray bird poop started a cherry tomato plant in my back yard which has grown into quite the thing. I'm happy to learn they are meditation approved nourishment.
    I've reduced caffeine and sugar to rather trivial levels of consumption and feel more level in energy and emotion as a result. Next up is increasing physical activity..

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Tomatoes, garlic and onions are not eaten by monks on the full precept attachment/detachment but of course they can be mantrad into kosher dana, which I have seen done.

Kava or Kava Kava is high in GABA but in the UK can only presently be used on animals. It is a psychoactive substance … wait … does that mean we Buddhist yogis/meditators are drugees?

Answers to the usual address with a side salad

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I try to stay on a WFPB diet but sometimes eat the processed meat replacement foods. No animal products, lots of water, no alcohol and progressively less cannabis. I take a daily multivitamin and supplement ginseng. I sometimes have a vegan protein drink as well. I try to be mindful about what I consume mentally as well as physically so stay away from overly violent and sexual media but keep a good dose of Star Trek flowing.

Then there is the morning and night time meditation, lots of reading and Karate 3-4 days a week.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I try to be mindful about what I consume mentally as well as physically

sounds like an excellent regime @David 🙏🏽👍🏼✅
    … here you wisely regard consumption to include non-junk input.

Here again we have to remind ourselves of the balanced middle way. For example I had to delete twit tear twathere twitter from my Ipad as I was binge eating nature stories … and political emergencies of the wholly worst additives …

David
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

A year ago I bought a velomobile to commute to work, 12 miles each way. I actually did it a few times, until things got busy and the habit lapsed. The other day I dusted it off and rode it to work. What a great ride! I should do this more often. Better for me, better for the human environmental biome. Also have a new dog to go hiking with. Life is good.

lobsterDavidJeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    A year ago I bought a velomobile

que? Oh … Ecosia search engine she say: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velomobile
    I WANT ONE!

Also have a new dog to go hiking with.

Mush husky! mush! Pull that velomobile … mmm I may have healthy plan ;)
    Life is good? That is for suckers eh sukkha devotees … 😇

Steve_B
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I have opened an unopened 2 month old package of camembert and had on bread in oven and then drizzled honey. Tastes good but I have never had camembert so wondered how aging affects?

lobster

As always, check your use-by dates ;)

Jeffrey
  • marcitkomarcitko Veteran
    edited May 2022

@lobster said:
    How do you improve your health?

I'm currently working hard on improving my health (physical, emotional, mental).

• Daily sports. Various. I prefer endurance cardio on most days (running, hiking, swimming, cycling, running up stairs) but also enjoy very much team ball or racket sports when the opportunity arises (badminton, tennis, soccer, basketball). Sometimes I also lift weights at home. My current mantra is "No Zero Days" - so at least do something for a few minutes - in order to build and keep the positive habit going.
    • Cold showers. Excellent for building willpower. Advertised as being good for the cardiovascular system as well.
    • Vitamins. D, B, C, Magnesium. Not a golden bullet but should be a positive general influence.
    • Loving-kindness meditation. Excellent for recovering negative-thinkers :)
    • Gratitude journal. Same as above.
    • Tapering off smoking and coffee.
    • Healthy eating. No diets. Just "don't eat stupid shit".
    • Live a moral life. "Don't do stupid shit".
    • News diet. Too much negativity.
    JeroenKotishkalobsterFleaMarket
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

Keto Diet - no bread. no sugar..a few carbohidrates
    Intermittent Fasting - no food until 9:30hs and dinner at 19:30hs
    Yoga daily
    Zazen daily

lobster
  • Definitely watch your carbohydrates and sugar.
    Moderate food intake
    Moderate exercise
    CHEER UP! :3B)=)<3:)

Peace to all

• ToshTosh Veteran

Mine are:

1. Weight lifting with some cardio, about five times a week.
    2. Refraining from sugary foods (I love sweet stuff).
    3. Staying on top of the small stuff; too often in the past I've let the small stuff slide by and it's developed into something BIG.
    4. Not spending too much time talking nonsense on the internet.
    JeroenBunks
    edited June 2022

@Tosh said:
    Mine are:

1. Weight lifting with some cardio, about five times a week.
    2. Refraining from sugary foods (I love sweet stuff).
    3. Staying on top of the small stuff; too often in the past I've let the small stuff slide by and it's developed into something BIG.
    4. Not spending too much time talking nonsense on the internet.

Seems very sensible Tosh, especially small bills mutating into big obstacles unnecessarily can be a pain.

My healthy habits…

1. Getting enough sleep
    2. Staying hydrated — drinking water is good for you
    3. Daily evacuation of the bowels aided by morning coffee
    4. Regular medical check-ups
    Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited June 2022

@Jeroen said:

Seems very sensible Tosh, especially small bills mutating into big obstacles unnecessarily can be a pain.

I had a small leak in my porch roof. It only troubled us when it rained, which is fairly frequently in South Wales (UK). In spite of Mrs Tosh's 'encouragement' I managed to delay fixing it long enough for the plaster board ceiling to collapse.

So not only did I have to fix the roof and make it watertight (which was quite a simple fix in the end), I had to replace the plasterboard ceiling which was a massive pain in the arse.

But I've also done similar with relationships too.

federicaJeroen