Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Applications for Buddhism

This evening I killed two birds with one stone with a bit of peace, managed to update my BUDDHIST Random Practice Program to run in python 3.7 programming language on my Raspberry Pi Linux computer.

We ALL have unique vajrayana buddha skills. We all have life skills. It is skilful to apply what you know to enhance your practice.

For eg.

• Bake a cake for Buddha/Sangha/some needy person [fish cakes can be sent to 'lobsters emergency cake fund']
  • Paint a boddhisattvah
  • Sing in praise of chanting

What is your offering?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    1. Nianfo (Namo Amituofo)
    2. Tonglen (Taking suffering and Giving compassion)
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Good morning, good morning…

I think I help bring fresh perspectives to buddhism by supplying spiritual quotes. Buddhism is beautiful, but it can get a little hidebound and samey. Then you want to refresh your memory by watching a Bruce Lee film.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Bunks said:
    2. Tonglen (Taking suffering and Giving compassion)

Ah ha! The hard stuff eh … ;)

I modified the tonglen for my Western/non-Bon/heretical sensibilities. I found my application more appropriate to my aversion to dukkha :3

1. Create a rainbow bubble around your being, this allows the good stuff in AND
    2. Boost it with gratitude, metta and imagining a higher form
    3. Resonate it outward, transforming

Not everyone is suited to Tonglen eg masochists, depressives, buddhist vampires
    https://buddhism-for-vampires.com/

BunksJeffrey
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster is it not difficult to distinguish between doing these things and imagining these things?

• Work off bad karma, try not to generate new bad karma, continuous re-dedication.

My offering is continual effort toward uncovering, disenchanting, and renouncing the wrong views which lead to attachments and grasping.
    My practice is in prudently letting them go as awareness of grasping arises.
    Maybe with enough practice I will see what this being's contribution to others will be. It's clearly not art or making deep social bonds.

Bunks
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2022

My contribution I guess is to do what I can. I have material needs like food, exercise, a roof over my head, etc met and spiritual and social ones I keep stretching out and that's a good sign. The world wasn't what I expected :o. I reckon I could play sad music from my youth but it only makes me cry

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    @lobster is it not difficult to distinguish between doing these things and imagining these things?

Taking it easy, eventually and inevitably leads to difficulties.

“Having seen the danger in sensual pleasures,
    having seen renunciation as security,
    I will go for the purpose of striving:
    it is here that my mind delights.”

ye olde Buddha
    https://wisdomexperience.org/wisdom-article/the-buddha-travels-the-hard-path/

@lobster said:
    Taking it easy, eventually and inevitably leads to difficulties.

Yet Sadhana takes many forms, and bringing out one’s difficulties is very worthwhile.

To ye olde buddha I would say, striving and making the mind delight are far from the path.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Maybe with enough practice I will see what this being's contribution to others will be. It's clearly not art or making deep social bonds.

Our first contribution to others @FleaMarket is sorting ourselves out.
    We all influence and ripple from our universal being. As we change so our positive empowering has a stronger vibration and effect.

When we gather together in part we are reinforcing that effect.