Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quandary of Knowledge

The Joy and Quandary of Knowledge:
Once we get the answer, new questions arise.

Peace to all

Shoshin1DakinipersonKotishkaBunks

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Lionducklobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The mind never stops confabulating, until you tell it you are no longer interested.

FleaMarketLionducklobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Shoshin1Lionducklobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

When talking of ‘knowledge’, people often mean information. Many 'teachers' are just providing information. They are the equivalent of a talking book, an entry on wikipedia, a youtube video, a web page.

However I feel @Lionduck is using 'knowledge' to mean Gnosis/experiential understanding/real knowing?

This is like faith/trust/confidence in the veracity/truth of dharma information.

LionduckFleaMarketTosh
  • @Lionduck said:

I like when the questions themselves seem to be a breadcrumb toward their own answer.
    But what happens when there is no question where one is expected? How do you find the question to be asked when one hasn't arisen?

Hmm, for me, maybe stop ignoring the perceived tertiary questions...Side quest becomes main quest? Or is this just creating busy work?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@FleaMarket said:
    But what happens when there is no question where one is expected? How do you find the question to be asked when one hasn't arisen?

No question, no answer. Done.

FleaMarketLionduck
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@FleaMarket said:

@Lionduck said:

I like when the questions themselves seem to be a breadcrumb toward their own answer.

Hmm, for me, maybe stop ignoring the perceived tertiary questions...Side quest becomes main quest? Or is this just creating busy work?

There comes a point where you realise all questions are irrelevant. They are things of the mind. If you sit in the garden and watch the trees wave in the wind, listen to the birds twittering, enjoy the smells of the blossoms… then there are no questions, there is no need for the mind. Then you just set it aside, with all its questions, and just sit for a bit.

lobsterJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2022

Agitation = suffering/ignorance/lack of attending.
    Buddhism uniquely does not require reasoning or interpretation. Peace in the moment, not in the movement. … much as @Jeroen has said …

gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā
    Heart Sutra

https://tricycle.org/magazine/whats-mantra/

JeffreyLionduck

There is the question of getting the mind to agree — if your mind is busy and full of urgent questions, you can’t expect your observation of the garden to last without interruption. That is where mindfulness and meditation come in, to accustom the mind to being calm. Once you have accomplished this and you can fall into meditation with ease, then enjoying the garden becomes easier.

lobsterLionduck
  • Quandary of Knowledge

"There was a young (wo)man who said though, it seems that I know that I know, but what I would like to see is the I that knows me when I know that I know that I know"

~Alan Watts~

Lionduck
  • For me, the paramount seeking is Wisdom. Knowledge without wisdom is a form of ignorance.
    of life, Knowledge for knowledge sake is an empty box.
    True Wisdom is understanding that knowledge enabling the utilization of that knowledge to create a better self and enable others to do the same.
    If you an only enable yourself to grow, that is knowledge without true wisdom.
    If you enable others with your knowledge but not yourself, that is not true wisdom.

Peace to all

lobster
  • Knowledge without Wisdom can be likened to collecting heaps of firewood (Knowledge) to last the long cold winter nights, but having no means of lighting it to keep warm (Wisdom)

lobsterBunks