Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The inspiration in Buddhism

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It occurred to me that we all have different things that inspire us about Buddhism. It might be nice to build a list of these, so that we can help inspire eachother, and maybe find new sources of inspiration. I’ll give you a few of mine…

• The slow, peaceful pace of Thich Nhat Hanh’s walking meditation
  • The spacious way a sitting Buddha statue radiates medativeness
  • The mindfulness bell
  • The look of a buddhist shrine, often with flowers and nature
Shoshin1David

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

The insight and perspective the philosophy and practice offer

The kindness and openness of a monastic

lobsterShoshin1
  • The inspiration in Buddhism

The Dharma

• The way Buddhism just makes sense.
    A religion focused on actually doing something.
    Open to and embracing of rationality and science.
    Non-dogmatic or ritualistic.
    Inclusive of all people and not hostile to other religions.
    Robes! 😃

lobsterFleaMarketDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

We are the Buddha ripple … not the raspberries.

Serve to survive … but who, why and how? Ourselves if we are selfish and know no better. Or the greatest good we can muster, imagine, find.

Simple Really.

• KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited July 2022

What inspired me from Buddhism...?

The proposal of breaking what science has proven to be our natural path according to the data we can obtain through observation and experimentation. In Buddhism, "karmic clouds" decide what science defines as genetics, culture, personality, and so on... being able to break away -not in a nihilistic way of course, just like the Buddha said (paraphrasing) "what had to be done is done"- from it as the path to cease the continuation of suffering.

The Buddha and his teachings being overall a peaceful and realistic approach to reality which puts no emphasis on death to others or oneself), control over others (except one's own actions), and revenge. Also a strong focus on kindness...

Shoshin1CraigJB
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Kindness that @Kotishka mentions is the ultimate relaxation/peace generation practice.

Be at peace with:

• Breath
    • Mind
    • Body
    • Surroundings

Gently, gently does it …

marcitko