Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• @Jeroen said:
    I just listened to a podcast between Sam Harris and Michael Pollan, about Pollan’s new book How to Free Your Mind: The New Science of Psychedelics. Very interesting, and I might get the book.

Why not just drop and trip and be done with it ;);)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:

@Jeroen said:
    I just listened to a podcast between Sam Harris and Michael Pollan, about Pollan’s new book How to Free Your Mind: The New Science of Psychedelics. Very interesting, and I might get the book.

I take medication which interferes…

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin1 said:

@Jeroen said:

...and I'm in danger of overdosing on common sense...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:
    ...and I'm in danger of overdosing on common sense...

But those are the people most in need of psychedelics. About 70% of the people who participate in the new psilocybin trials say its among the top 5 most significant events in their lives, ranking alongside the birth of children and so on.

The effect it seems to have is that it clears the mind of old meaning-structures, and blows through a freight-trains worth of new stuff. It has a whole series of largely positive effects on depression, addiction and other bad habits, and shows you the endpoint of a meditative practice.

In the nineteen fifties and sixties a whole bunch of very encouraging studies talked about this, and for a while it seemed like psychedelics were going to be the next psychiatric wonder drug. Then came a backlash against its misuse.

Anyway, if you want an idea of what its like, this is Sam Harris talking about his first trip in 25 years…

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, I'm fine, thanks.

Jeroen
  • I should point out it was a joke.... hence the wink wink...

Jeroenfederica
  • @Jeroen said:
    How to Free Your Mind: The New Science of Psychedelics

Thanks for this. I'm about half way through the audiobook and it walks you through a lot of history, along with pretty cool experience stories and lots of support in favor of psychedelics. I can say it's given perspective to questions I didn't know how to put in words and definitely recommend it.

Jeroen
  • Last Tuesday, went to a dealer, parked my Mimi Me Rebel 250. Test rode a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 with a red tank. Rode home on the RE. Two wheeled therapy done well.
    On another note, the Mrs is still fighting her forever bed sore and the Wondrous one is moving up to the 7th grade with high marks. <3
    My other two beautiful granddaughters are doing quit well at their respective colleges. B)<3

Peace to All

Shoshin1JeroenlobsterBunks

@FleaMarket said:

@Jeroen said:
    How to Free Your Mind: The New Science of Psychedelics

Thanks for this. I'm about half way through the audiobook and it walks you through a lot of history, along with pretty cool experience stories and lots of support in favor of psychedelics. I can say it's given perspective to questions I didn't know how to put in words and definitely recommend it.

Yes, a lot of scientists are treating it as a second chance at a very promising set of treatments. For a long time these substances have been suppressed, and there is a negative image that goes with that, while in fact they are some of the safest drugs we know of. Very low toxicity, very few interactions and so on. It’s good to spend some time learning about it, even if you don’t intend to take them.

• FleaMarketFleaMarket Veteran
    edited June 2022

@Jeroen said:

I hope they get the chance. I see a path for a safer, more effective, and longer lasting treatment to many mental difficulties in here. However I see it blocked by fear, greed, and control issues. I found it interesting the destination, or at least the direction and experience, seems to be the same for many psychonauts as it is for many meditators.

His talk about blooming mental states in chapter five was particularly interesting. It helps by providing added evidence pointing to a non-permanent ego.

JeroenShoshin1

Yes I find it very interesting that many people of the sixties and seventies had their interest in meditation sparked by psychedelics. Sam Harris said “psychedelics provide a glimpse of the end state of meditation, freedom from the ego, and without knowing that that state was possible I wouldn’t have been nearly as motivated to try meditation.”

Certainly that these experiences can be so positive for depression, addiction and other mental health conditions just shows that they are key to many people’s wellbeing. But i also think it was telling that in many primitive cultures these experiences are regulated by shamans and ritual and taken only rarely.

Bunks
  • @Jeroen said:
    Yes I find it very interesting that many people of the sixties and seventies had their interest in meditation sparked by psychedelics. Sam Harris said “psychedelics provide a glimpse of the end state of meditation, freedom from the ego, and without knowing that that state was possible I wouldn’t have been nearly as motivated to try meditation.”

I suppose after the glimpse, the next logical step is to seek it in greater and more sustained ways which meditation seems to provide.

Certainly that these experiences can be so positive for depression, addiction and other mental health conditions just shows that they are key to many people’s wellbeing. But i also think it was telling that in many primitive cultures these experiences are regulated by shamans and ritual and taken only rarely.

A perfect underline of the need for legal oversight by knowledgeable people vs the haphazard current approach. Maybe once the scientific community moves beyond the prejudice of not being able to measure these experiences with current scientific tools. Or maybe when such tools to measure it are developed.

Bunks

God, I led SUCH a sheltered life!

JeroenlobsterBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Came across these crispy psychedelic ducks this morning. Are they hybrid wild/domestic?

BunksShoshin1FleaMarket
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited June 2022

@lobster said:
    Came across these crispy psychedelic ducks this morning. Are they hybrid wild/domestic?

I've no idea, but hopefully someone who knows their ducks will be along to quack your question.

Bunks
  • The day before yesterday (Tuesday morning Kiwi time) there was a school of Manta rays at the far end of the bay, feeding close to shore ...The videos are not the best as there was a reflection coming off the water, but you can still make out the black patches just below the surface and then one surfacing....

And this morning there was a beautiful sunrise...

Tosh
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited July 2022

The iceberger challenge is on again this morning, locals and visitors will brave the cold water...
    The temperature is around 12 C at the moment, and the water temperature is around 14.7C...so it's colder out than in...

..By the way, the Manta rays are back at the far end of the bay...

This was rather neat and uplifting…

• Greetings from down under...

My friend Manta Ray joined me again this morning...

The tide was out and the ray was swimming quite close to shore (around 10 metres away)..

The other day a friend saw a pod of Ocra in the bay just up from where I live ...

They would have been feeding on the Manta Rays who were feeding on plankton close to shore... It's a dog eat dog world...and so the cycle of life and death continues....

Bunks

Cats are such funny creatures.

Bunks
  • Sydney's stormy weather arrived last night, and is set to continue over the weekend...

BunksLionduck
  • Jonathan Pie Bye Bye Boris..."WARNING FOUL LANGUAGE"

As usual, Jonathan Pie hits the nail on the head when it comes to describing Bojo's Prime ministership and his cronies ....

Bunks

A day out with my dad at the Haarlem Baseball Week…

@Shoshin1 said:

Jonathan Pie Bye Bye Boris..."WARNING FOUL LANGUAGE"

As usual, Jonathan Pie hits the nail on the head when it comes to describing Bojo's Prime ministership and his cronies ....

QFT.

I have a telephone appointment booked with my Doctor tomorrow, before finally being referred to surgeons for first, my hip operation, and then eventually, my foot amputation.
    Is it weird to actually be pleased in anticipation...?

Shoshin1howlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Wow, good weird … @federica, hope it all goes well 💗

• Beautiful colourful sunrise this morning...

It was high tide, so no beach jolking this morning...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I found the chicken that crossed the road

… and ate hymn.

He was soup! :3

• Beautiful morning, but a nippy 8C....However as the sun rose, so did the temperature...

Hmm...I wonder why my legs don't feel the cold...Perhaps it's a case of Where there's no sense...there's no feeling

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    I have a telephone appointment booked with my Doctor tomorrow, before finally being referred to surgeons for first, my hip operation, and then eventually, my foot amputation.
    Is it weird to actually be pleased in anticipation...?

>

the way of the wyrd is the first step towards having no attachments to our former life
    https://111.fandom.com/wiki/Limbu

I hope everyone survives the hot weather in Europe… especially for English friends, I hear temperatures there are going to reach 40 degrees Celsius over the next few days. Maybe good to do shopping today and spend tomorrow taking cold showers.

I cold shower anyway; have been river swimming a few times with my daughter... and am NOT walking my dog; this heat could kill him, and the pavements could make his pads blister...
    My lawn (ha ha, can't really call it that at the best of times!) is parched and yellow... finding decent food for my tortoises is proving a challenge.... Personally, I have not complaints about the weather; I love the heat, but can fully understand how many might be finding the going really tough. Global warming? Well hello there, DO come in....

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Global warming? Well hello there, DO come in....

Indeed. A time of turmoil to end some of our dinosaurs … again …

• @lobster said:

Two of my Buddhas, chilling under the jasmine … you would hardly know they were there …

Very good at garden designing @lobster . I'm trying to make a jazmin grow to cover my Buddha statue in a similar manner..!

• lobsterlobster Veteran

many thanks @Kotishka however …

Design? I largely let nature take its course …
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/natural-garden-design.htm

today I had to water 3 times and then unpredicted rain fell …

Kotishka
  • On a different tac....Traded my quirky little Mimi Me (Rebel 250) for a Royal Enfield Int 650 about 30 days ago. I had been checking out bikes and pricing for the last six months. Saving up my coins. Checked out the Rebel 300 and 500 - good for what they were built for but NOPE. Poked and prodded some more. narrowed it down to either the Honda CB500F and the RE Int 650. Almost got the Honda, but decided to take the RE for a test ride. Anybody with a cycle or scooter knows, "you know it when you know it".
    The RE fit like a well made glove. I was shocked; The ride was golden. [ Of course, Matty, just like people, no bike is perfect]
    So, I rode in on the Rebel and rode out on the 650.
    Good by Mini Me, you were good, but it's time to moving on.
    The ride home was pure joy. It was all a ride should be. [Yes children, be careful out there, more so on two wheels (motorized or not)]. Two wheeled therapy upgraded, thank you.

To all, if you have not already, find something that brings you home. Be it gardening, cooking, reading, The All Black,...whatever it is. That will be part, in a way, of your practice, part of what enriches you, enables you. Reward yourself that you may enrich others. The lantern you carry light the way for those walking the path with you. May it shine brightly.

"Hey Maude! 'E talks too much!"

Peace to all

Jeroenlobster
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited July 2022

@Lionduck

When I think of motorbikes, this song pops up, a leather jacket, and a pair of sunglasses...

Lionduck
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited July 2022

My garden has a small baby hedgehog as new resident. Hogletini, also known as Atelerix Algirus.

lobsterLionduck

He looks beady eyed and formidable!

Lionduck
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

To all, if you have not already, find something that brings you home. Be it gardening, cooking, reading, The All Black,...whatever it is. That will be part, in a way, of your practice, part of what enriches you, enables you. Reward yourself that you may enrich others. The lantern you carry light the way for those walking the path with you. May it shine brightly.

Great advice @Lionduck 💗

Today I left for an early walk. Found two pine cones to add to the garden, which a juvenile blackbird has made home …

The fox left me a glove and a shit marker … two in fact. Sure that is dukkha BUT finding our sukkha, as you mention … priceless.

Lionduckhow
  • This week there's been rain, rain and more rain,,,

There was rain here as well… we could do with it after a day of 38 degree temperatures, puf puf.

Shoshin1
  • Yes, I hear that parts of Europe are feeling the heat...I'll be over there soon to experience it myself...I fly out on the 30th...A change is as good as a holiday...well so it's been said...

Oh that’s good. Are you visiting your kids @Shoshin1? Despite the sometimes excessive weather we’ve had a nice summer so far ;)

Shoshin1
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Bears all over the place this year. I've been composting poop in a large garbage can, and the bears keep knocking it over, looking for something edible and being repeatedly disappointed.

Shoshin1Lionduck
  • @Jeroen said:
    Oh that’s good. Are you visiting your kids @Shoshin1? Despite the sometimes excessive weather we’ve had a nice summer so far ;)

Yes @Jeroen ..I'll be staying with my son and his wife in London, plus seeing other family members and friend...I'm also going to visit my sister who lives in Alicante...

Jeroen
  • @Fosdick said:
    Bears all over the place this year. I've been composting poop in a large garbage can, and the bears keep knocking it over, looking for something edible and being repeatedly disappointed.

I guess the bears will have to grin and bear it ;);)