Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

In terms of series, i really enjoyed The Good Place. Very funny.

FleaMarket
  • NugaiNugai Ireland New

@person said:
    The Last Kingdom. A surprisingly good story involving the rules of Alfred the Great and King Edward. Focuses on a fictional warrior caught between Danish and Saxon loyalties.

Watching this series at the moment! Enjoying it!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Nugai said:

@person said:
    The Last Kingdom. A surprisingly good story involving the rules of Alfred the Great and King Edward. Focuses on a fictional warrior caught between Danish and Saxon loyalties.

My husband LOVES this series and has been watching it avidly. Historically, it's actually quite accurate...

• NugaiNugai Ireland New

@federica said:

@Nugai said:

@person said:

My husband LOVES this series and has been watching it avidly. Historically, it's actually quite accurate...

Yes! It is really accurate I love it from that perspective I feel, being from Ireland, I am learning so much about the Viking and the Early British people as of course Ireland had a huge Viking invasion, followed by Norman, followed by British. I feel I am getting a sense of my early Irish ancestry on the Viking lineage.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I fell down a hole in the internet and found this…

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Jeroen said:

That one wasn't half bad. Maybe its a more current AI than other creations I've seen, or maybe its just the nature of music lyrics vs the more narrative stories of an AI creating a comedy or a horror story.

edited August 2022

Heard really good things about this film… won some prizes at Cannes and the best foreign film Oscar

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited August 2022

On the flight over I watch a couple of movies ...Dr Strange and Tenet ..feeling over tired when trying to watch Tenet, it really messed with my head...I didn't know if I was coming or going 🙃😉🙂...

@Shoshin1 said:
    On the flight over I watch a couple of movies ...Dr Strange and Tenet ..feeling over tired when trying to watch Tenet, it really messed with my head...I did know if I was coming or going 🙃😉🙂...

I’ve got Tenet on dvd, it took me a few times watching it to get it all straight…

• Yes, it's reminds me of a bundle of selves, where their interaction alters their future self , and the future selves goes back to alter itself's future, which is the flowing constantly changing present...It scrambled my brain trying to work it out...

• I fell down a hole in the internet and found this…

Thought that was a very good example of lucid dreaming? People who are more experienced in this area may know … ? For me this is something new …

@lobster said:

Thought that was a very good example of lucid dreaming? People who are more experienced in this area may know … ? For me this is something new …

It’s art, a music video made by artificial intelligence.

• @Jeroen said:
    It’s art, a music video made by artificial intelligence.

You said.

It seems a good representation of the fluid changing in lucid dreaming. I wonder if those who are more familiar with lucid dreaming also experience it in this way?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Watching The Sandman on Netflix.
    I find it quite captivating.

edited August 2022

@federica said:

I heard good things about it, but then I’m a fan of the books.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2022

Went last night to see a special screening of Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo. It’s been voted by filmmakers (not critics) one of the best films of all time.

What WAS that?
    There was no suspense as promised, if so, it drug out forever in the first half. And not in a good way. Don’t get me started on the character development. Plot was stupid….I guess just a reel postcard of San Francisco.

Anyone here seen it?

Yes, I remember seeing Vertigo. It does develop slowly, but it contains quite a few iconic shots of the Bay area which have become so common in cinema that we tend to take them for granted.

I don’t think it is one of the best films ever, but it was a landmark in cinema history.

@federica said:

I’m up to episode 6 now, it’s about reached the end of the first comic book. I’m really enjoying it so far, it’s an excellent adaptation of the story.

I’ve only read comics 1,4,7,10 and 13. So a lot of the story is unknown to me, I just know a few basics, but I appreciated the quality of the story telling.

From what I've heard from die-hard fans (of The Sandman, not the Bruce Willis pap) the series on Netflix is a very good adaptation of the comix, and adheres to the storylines very faithfully.

I’ve finished season 1, think it’s really good and there is a lot of room for future seasons. Morpheus’s struggle with his own nature is slowly coming to the fore.

• I read one of the Sandman 'graphic novels' (up market comic) years ago. Enjoyed the series and so did my sister. Really pleased she found something to enjoy …

• On the last leg of the plane Journey home (San Francisco to Auckland) I watched "The Last Cab to Darwin"

Top Gun Maverick. Typical Tom Cruise. Speed, danger, a smattering of romance, and Buddy-Buddy humour/exchanges. Good film, chewing gum for the mind.

The new Amazon series Rings of Power is exceptionally good. Blockbuster movie level production and so far (only 2 episodes in) the acting and story are great. But I am a massive Lord of the Rings fan so I'm sure I'm biased.

Also, Only Murders in the Building on Hulu is pretty fun.

@person said:
    The new Amazon series Rings of Power is exceptionally good. Blockbuster movie level production and so far (only 2 episodes in) the acting and story are great. But I am a massive Lord of the Rings fan so I'm sure I'm biased.

Quite a few good new series coming out. Sandman, Rings of Power, House of the Dragon. But I wasn’t planning on taking all those streaming services, I might just buy a few on Blu-Ray when they come out.

edited September 2022

@Jeroen said:

@person said:

Quite a few good new series coming out. Sandman, Rings of Power, House of the Dragon. But I wasn’t planning on taking all those streaming services, I might just buy a few on Blu-Ray when they come out.

Buying them digitally on iTunes or something is often available as the series comes out, or shortly after.

I’ve never yet seen TV series for sale on iTunes in the UK or the Netherlands. They sell movies but TV series seem to be limited to just the USA.

lobster
  • Interesting documentary "The Egtved Girl"

lobster
  • @federica almost said: Good film, … chewing gum for the mind.

my mind is chewing gum, so I am letting it chew on The Rings of Power TV series, based on the elves, dwarves, orcs and humans of Tolkiens works.

… all dharma and no play? pah, it is all Play …

edited September 2022

Lupin on Netflix. Enjoying it very much.

• I enjoyed very much the Netflix documentary 'A Trip to Infinity' … just when you thought things make sense …

• @person said:

Also, Only Murders in the Building on Hulu is pretty fun.

Rings of Power is AWESOME. I'm actually reading The Silmarillion in between episodes. Talking about patience... ha!

person
  • True Story ...It's about manipulation...

Vastmind
  • @Kotishka said:

Interesting video to watch, thanks @Kotishka ...However the mathematics did my brain in ;);)

• Indigenous Tribes Push Back Against Evangelical Missionaries

It's really sad how these evilgelical missionaries are forcing their beliefs (by bribery, and brain washing) onto others, attempting to destroy the indigenous people's language, culture and traditions ... a way of life which no doubt dates back before the 'invention' of Christianity...

lobsterVastmind
  • Thanks @Shoshin1

There I was manipulating what is considered a mind (mine) through sitting and meditating, chanting in a foreign language etc when I realised:

Tsk, tsk … is I bad again?
    Maybe I should watch some Vice
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/93abxz/save-kink-spaces-protest

• Comedians in cars getting coffee
    Hosted by Jerry Seinfeld, he takes some iconic people out for coffee and some semi-candid convo.
    The episode with Obama was fun but I've enjoyed quite a few of em.
    On Netflix

person
  • Christiania ...Last City in Europe with No Laws

I first visited there back in 1972/3 (not long after it was established) and then again I think in 1983 or 1985...

I remember on my first visit when talking to one of the local who was doing some gardening outside his dwellings, when a bumble bee started to fly around him and he tried to kiss the bumble bee...

• must be halloween time …
    Are we good or … mmm … decisions, decisions …

Watching Uncharted…

• Another perfect dream world … or …

That actually looks pretty good…

• FleaMarket
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2022

We enjoyed the Patient 10 episode series. Yes Steve Carell can do non-comedy quite well. It's about a serial killer who earnestly wants to stop his compulsion to kill people and he abducts a therapist to try to stop feeling that compulsion; the killer had been severely abused in childhood. I thought it would be like the Steven King Misery but it wasn't at all. It was about the therapist trying to help this killer awhile the therapist is reflecting on his own life/family and what he would do if/when he escapes. And he has to cope with being a prisoner.

person

@Jeffrey said:
    We enjoyed the Patient 10 episode series. Yes Steve Carell can do non-comedy quite well. It's about a serial killer who earnestly wants to stop his compulsion to kill people and he abducts a therapist to try to stop feeling that compulsion; the killer had been severely abused in childhood. I thought it would be like the Steven King Misery but it wasn't at all. It was about the therapist trying to help this killer awhile the therapist is reflecting on his own life/family and what he would do if/when he escapes. And he has to cope with being a prisoner.

I really enjoyed The Patient as well.

• Interesting documentary "The Egtved Girl"

It certainly was. Thanks @Shoshin1 :+1:

• Just watched a BBC/CCTV documentary about Tibet. Amazing and insightful. Look forward to others …
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_China

• Just came across this short video about the island, which I found quite interesting...

Doreen's daughter still lives on the island...
    I first visited the island back in 1977/8 when on a working holiday from Oz (more holiday than working :) ) ...Moved here in 2021...A lot has changed...which is to be expected....Change is inevitable...Suffering optional...