Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Healthy Habits

2»

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

The French Paradox
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox

Ah ha! Makes sense.

• Rather than butter in the summer I like to use coconut oil for spreading on toast …
    • The French love their food. Metta again …
    • Some other tips worth acknowledging.
  • ShanYin37ShanYin37 Ontario, Canada Explorer

My healthy habits:

Drinking around an average of 2L water per day.
    Buying and eating fruits, veggies, whole grains (I switched even to whole grain pasta) lentils
    Exercise
    Vitamin D supplement

I still smoke and eat junk food.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    The French Paradox
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox

Ah ha! Makes sense.

• Rather than butter in the summer I like to use coconut oil for spreading on toast …
    • The French love their food. Metta again …
    • Some other tips worth acknowledging.

It's a fallacy. The cause of coronary problems is not those fats. It's carbohydrate/starch sugars.
    The Body produces both HDL and LDL Cholesterols.
    Both are essential for the adequate and correct function of the brain. Your brain is fed by cholesterol.
    Your Body isn't going to produce adequate amounts of a compound that is bad for you/going to kill you.
    Now, according to doctors, LDL is "bad" cholesterol.
    Why? because if a person consumes high levels of sugars, the sugars, normally stored in the liver, are diffused into the bloodstream. When you eat too much sugar, your liver makes more LDL while lowering the amount of HDL in your body. The extra calories from a sugary diet also leads to more of something called triglycerides, a type of blood fat that plays a role in your cholesterol health.

LDL Combines with the triglycerides and creates the destructive and unhealthy platelets that line arteries and thicken to inhibit, block blood-flow. You can have high levels of LDL and HDL, without either level affecting your health one little bit, AS LONG AS YOUR TRIGLYCERIDES ARE AT NORMAL LEVELS.
    Take it from me. Been there, done that, put my Dr in his place.

lobster
  • Thanks @federica

And now …

Therefore, in Ayurveda, people are classified as per their predominant qualities, known as doshas. These doshas are three in number and are called Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. They primarily represent the wind, fire, and water elements and are responsible for movement, transformation, and stability in the body. Just like diet, lifestyle, and herbs, even asana recommendations are given to a person as per their dominant dosha.
    https://www.yogauonline.com/yoga-practice-tips-and-inspiration/vata-pitta-or-kapha-how-practice-yoga-according-your-ayurvedic

The dosha principle has something for me. I am still doing yoga to complement my practice. I am still too angry. So can implement correctives …

federica
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    I am still too angry.

Who are you angry at, @lobster ?

• Lifting weights.

Keeping quiet.... I try...

Helping others.

Viveka.

Also, "don't eat stupid shit" has been essential. Donuts, pizza, salted roasted cashews, filipinos (crunchy donuts). And weed of course. I still need to keep an eye on this one....

Also adding ritualS to one's life. Good for discipline, good for practice... Zazen...and I like to chant this before I ring my bell...

"May living beings of the dharma realms,
    stifled and mired in bitterness
    in the three painful destinies and eight hardships,
    hear the sound and awaken to the way."

It comes from here...
    Verse for Bell Ringing

三途八難 sanzu hachi nan
    息苦停酸 sok-ku jo san
    法界衆生 hok-kai shujō
    聞聲悟道 mon sho godō

• Also adding ritualS to one's life.

Seems like a plan.

I was listening to my internet radio app and started listening to Ven Sarah Thresher …
    https://www.lamrim.com/index2.html

… a little ultimate healing …
    http://www.lamrim.com/vensarah/ultimatehealing.html

• I still smoke and eat junk food.

yuk! You probably mean smoked sausages and such?
    Or maybe it is some sort of burnt offering? ;)

Understood. :)

Junk food does not love us. It is an unbalanced relationship … :o

I am Lobster and a food addict (food eaters anonymous)

• I got on the stationary bike for the first time in some time. It was less than 30 minutes later I felt the positive effects. How strange it is to know and experience something is wholesome and helpful yet still get lost elsewhere and struggle to get back.

lobstermarcitko
  • @FleaMarket said:
    How strange it is to know and experience something is wholesome and helpful yet still get lost elsewhere and struggle to get back.

Indeed, very strange! I have noticed that for me negative emotions is what usually stops/hinders such "wholesome and helpful" activities. Stranger still that these activities are precisely what helps lessen those emotions in the first place. Ay carumba!

FleaMarket
  • @marcitko said:
    I have noticed that for me negative emotions is what usually stops/hinders such "wholesome and helpful" activities.

They're just so distracting and since I'm making them, I know the perfect recipe to distract myself! I sort of "went with the flow" for a few weeks and it just got harder and harder to remember how to get out of it. I think the exercise helped supply whatever had been missing to cut through some the mental clutter and get back to the present.

Hmm maybe too little effort and healthy habits can't be sustained while too much effort isn't sustainable. Finding right effort seems a bit of a balancing act.

• Exactly so @FleaMarket
    The balanced or Middle Way. Exercise engages the mind, stilling it.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

FleaMarket
  • "Protecting oneself, one protects others." (Attanam rakkhanto param rakkhati.)

"Protecting others, one protects oneself." (Param rakkhanto attanam rakkhati.)

In healing myself, the byproduct is healing others/allowing others to heal. In others being allowed freedom to heal, I heal. If we are interbeing, the path is a regeneration. Healing self, society heals on the same effort. As other selves in society heal, self heals as well.

I am smoking less pot today, consuming more mindfully and humbly, practicing mindful thought gardening, and am giving my self a little compassion for my unwholesome qualities even though it feels kind of gross.

Anyone else practicing some healing? I could always use more tips.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/bl034.html

lobstermarcitko
  • I do every kind of self healing I can find @FleaMarket

Over the years have used amongst others:

• massage
    • aromatherapy
    • Ionisers
    • Hypnosis
    • Fasting
    • Isometrics
    • Dancing
    • Running
    • Cycling
    • Swimming

Oh so many
    find your way …
    Great link by the way 🙂

FleaMarketLionduck
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

That’s interesting @lobster, I was just about to take up running as a way to exercise the body. What was your experience like?

For me it has often been difficult to strike a balance between active and passive healthy habits. Passive ones like fasting, listening to binaural beats, getting enough rest have been easy, while active ones like exercise have been more difficult. Its a motivation thing.

• Healthy....What! No more margaritas with tequila shot chasers? Darn!!!

I ran, when I could. Now I hike when I can,
    Take life seriously - with a grain of salt and never take yourself too seriously.
    Good habit to give yourself credit for being able to give yourself credit, even for just greeting the new day.
    Remember, all of us are capable of great good and great evil, even both at once. So, when someone says or does something you consider bad or evil or just don't like, hate the words or deeds, not the person.
    Respect life - beginning with your own.

Oh Shakespeare, you dog! Now you've got us doing it....

Peace to all

KotishkaFleaMarketlobster
  • @Jeroen said:
    That’s interesting @lobster, I was just about to take up running as a way to exercise the body. What was your experience like?

Not good. Make sure you warm up and stretch afterwards too. Injuries, blisters etc common. Did not work for me. Did it for about a year. Even running in snow/ice with wellies on …

Jeroen

I came across this and was somewhat inspired…

https://www.verywellfit.com/tips-for-running-in-your-50s-and-beyond-2911208

• I have a habit I have been practicing for about 2 months. Once per week I fast. I do eat but a greatly reduced selection of food. The idea started as a "fiber fast" to have a day of rest for my digestion because I have to eat a lot of fiber to prevent constipation caused by medication. It continues to be a fiber fast or rest for my digestion from fiber intake but it is also a reduction (not elimination) of calories because all I eat are: chicken noodle soup, sweetened and flavored greek yogurt, and drinks with no fiber: milk or even a soda aka pop.

In addition to the benefit of weight loss, resting digestion of fiber I also feel it makes me appreciate food more for the days I am not fasting.

marcitkoJeroenlobsterShoshin1
  • @Jeffrey you reminded me of my 70-year-old spiritual friend who lost 20kg in 3 months by fasting 2 days a week and walking 3 hours a day. Take that, people who claim that weight loss is not possible in old age!

JeffreyShoshin1
  • I have whiteboards on various walls at home where I can write important rememberances, instructions, inspirations, and funny stuff on. Or even just a market list and exercise routine. It's fun cuz I can erase and alter it easily and when I come across something too important for one of my never re-read notepads, I can add it to an increasingly personalized and inspirational whiteboard.

Shoshin1
  • I don't remember what caused it to start but some time around joining this forum I started washing my feet every shower. I used to not wash them cuz I thought they were gross. (I know, gross huh?) Now I wash them every time with equal amount as the rest of the body. Honor them things carrying me everywhere you know? They're good feet. Now they're good and clean feet.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2023

I found a new way to eat vegetables that is not costly in time or money. I buy Campbell's (or other cheap brand) of Minestrone soup and then add any seasoning I want eg. extra ground pepper. I really have always liked that soup in restaurants but didn't realize canned soup at the grocery is/tastes about the same thing as you get in a restaurant here.

edited February 2023

I’ve been looking at bodyweight workouts… the local gyms were not a success, but these seem to work quite well, and it looks like you get a lot more muscle suppleness from it than from weights and machines. Plus it saves you the money from a gym subscription.

• marcitkomarcitko Veteran
    edited February 2023

@FleaMarket said:
    I have whiteboards on various walls at home where I can write important rememberances, instructions, inspirations, and funny stuff on. Or even just a market list and exercise routine. It's fun cuz I can erase and alter it easily and when I come across something too important for one of my never re-read notepads, I can add it to an increasingly personalized and inspirational whiteboard.

I recently got a small whiteboard and absolutely love it. It's done wonders for my organisation. I write down daily goals, larger visions, stuff that needs to be done in general, quotes that I would like to keep in mind, I test intuitions, etc.

For now, the little one is good enough, but once I get my own apartment I will invest in a huge one, hopefully the size of a school blackboard. But your idea of several medium sized ones sounds also very good.

lobsterFleaMarket
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Definitely worth watching and taking note of: This video dates from 2018. Since then, Dr. Ede has undertaken further documented and accredited research; more recent findings, outlined in a video again, only go to confirm what she says here.
    I leave it to you.