Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Elephant in the Room

2»

Comments

• Putin is desperate. Also shows how good of an the analogy seeing geopolitics as a poker / chess table is. After losing so much, backing down is not even inside his mind. He decides to go all in....

• Sadly as usual, the meat in the political money making/grabbing war sandwich...for the most part ... innocent people...

...used as cannon fodder and if they managed to survive, many are physically and mentally scarred for life..

lobsterBunks
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited September 2022

"A thirst for the Hun
    We were food for the gun
    And that's what you are when you're soldiers"

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I thought the whole escalation of the war in Ukraine is a disaster for all right-thinking people. First the Ukrainians call up all males aged 18-60 for service in the army, then the Russians partially mobilise, it makes no sense.

I’m glad I registered as a conscientious objector here in the Netherlands when the time was right.

lobsterShoshin1
  • This young guy gives some interesting updates

FleaMarket
  • Putiney Mutiny in Russia...

For real ? Or staged ? ...Hmm I wonder...

• Hmmm.... this reminds me of my medieval history teacher back in university:

"Contemporary history, or current affairs, is mostly journalism. Real history takes centuries, or at least many decades to unveil, because lots of the documents are either hidden, agendas are misunderstood, and (IMPORTANT) there is a tendency to lack of the necessary perspective required to make a good balance of what actually happen."

So far I just see vast groups of people and their respective alliances fighting over territory and ideas; not caring about the preciousness of life at all.

Shoshin1
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:
    Putiney Mutiny in Russia...

I do notice in the media EVERY story regarding Russia is about Putin losing his grip, losing the war, generally having a miserable time.
    Bit like when Trump was President

Shoshin1
  • Yes it's a propaganda war of egos and greed...and all the innocent lives lost/wasted are just collateral damage...

Behind the scene, there are the puppet masters who are making a lot of dough from the ongoing conflict and have no desire for it to come to an end any time soon...

The love of money is the root of all evil, and weapon manufacturers and those who have shares in the companies have dollars signs in their eyes as they watch the destruction and bloodshed and cold hard cash where their hearts should be...

Bunkslobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2023

@Bunks said:

@Shoshin1 said:
    Putiney Mutiny in Russia...

I do notice in the media EVERY story regarding Russia is about Putin losing his grip, losing the war, generally having a miserable time.
    Bit like when Trump was President

That's in the Western media. But meanwhile, P himself is saying that the recent crisis resulted in more support than ever for the "Motherland" and himself as head of it. The leadership in Russia rallied around him at the beginning of those events, in a show of support.

So, whether he's losing his grip or is tightening it, is up for debate. The truth is probably somewhere in-between. But he's spinning the whole thing as an attempted coup, a narrowly-averted civil war, which is ridiculous. One guy leading a few thousand men toward the capital is not a civil war. It's just one guy who has a beef with the Minister of Defense, who appeared to be incompetent in supplying the Wagner troops with food, munitions, and other basics. One guy, who had a solid following among his men, so that he could organize a show of force to demonstrate he was to be taken seriously. This caused the fearless leader to flinch. So now the populace and the world has witnessed, that the supreme leader is not so fearless. Still, he's good at holding on to power.

Western news sources and pundits are hoping this is the beginning of the end for the hitherto fearless leader, but I think that's wishful thinking. I take this type of prognosis with a grain of salt. We'll wait and see.

In the meantime, there have been reports that Belarus is building camps for Prigozhin and his men, near the Ukraine border. It looks like Russia and Belarus want to make use of him to lead an attack on Ukraine from the north, while pretending they've sent him into "exile", and neutralized him. All we can do is wait and see. But betting on wishful thinking is not conducive to winning. I doubt Ukraine is engaging in wishful thinking. They have a country to win back. They have to be more grounded in reality. I found it interesting, that throughout the weekend and its aftermath, none of the media outlets thought to find out what the Ukraine's leadership's perspective was on the whole thing.

BunksShoshin1person
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited February 11

Came across this Tucker Carson's interview with Putin on the Russia Ukraine war ...
    Interesting....

Not sure what to make of it...Around one hour forty minutes in, it gets a bit weirder

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I must admit, I just think all these world leaders are more than a little insane. You would have to be to want to be a world leader, and then to go to war. And who wants to listen to insane, very cunning people justify their actions… what use is it to know the news, to be up to date with these things? You can’t do anything about it, your indignation serves no purpose.

Kotishkalobster
  • The ego plays a big part in daily life and for world leaders it would seem that it plays a bigger part...

What it boils down to is humans being human warts and all.....

• @Jeroen said:
    I must admit, I just think all these world leaders are more than a little insane. You would have to be to want to be a world leader, and then to go to war. And who wants to listen to insane, very cunning people justify their actions… what use is it to know the news, to be up to date with these things? You can’t do anything about it, your indignation serves no purpose.

Question: How can you tell when a politician is lying ?
    Answer : When their lips are moving!

lobster