Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Five Precepts

I think Ajahn Jayasaro puts it forth very well.

rocalaFleaMarketJeffreyfedericaShoshin1lobsterFosdickSuraShine

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have seen the first 5 Precepts presented, outlined, interpreted or explained in many different ways. I like this.

• For a while -a long while...a few years...- I thought I could bypass the Five Precepts (or decide when and where to apply them) and here Ajahn Jayasaro explains why this does not work very well; it is like slowing down the progress.

"Abstaining from them protects us from future pain and crippling remorse."

Unfortunately, I'm still a genocidal maniac protecting my teresitas against various pests.

Trying my best!

FleaMarket
  • Here is how to put a brake on the precepts:

• positively Kill the negativity
    • Steal all the best qualities you can emulate
    • Conduct sexuality well
    • Never speak unless silent
    • peace, love and goodwill are best drugs

… can I go home now?

KotishkaFleaMarketJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I tend to find that the precepts coincide with my natural impulse. As long as I stay aware of negativity, of the un-wholesome, then it is not difficult to stick to that. Staying with the dharma and not letting impulsiveness sneak one through is the order of the day.

lobsterFleaMarketShoshin1