Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Types of Atheists | Psychology of Atheism Part 1

Some may find this of interest...Hmm I think therefore I am an..............

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I always thought Bertrand Russel’s teapot argument was sufficient.

Shoshin1FleaMarket
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2022

@Jeroen said:

Hmm so you're an Ateaist ;);)

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:

@Jeroen said:

Hmm so you're an Ateaist ;);)

In the early mornings more of an acoffeeist. But yes.

I said the other day, if God was all-knowing and all-powerful, then everything would be according to his will. So he wouldn’t ever make changes. So its no good praying to him, and he is in effect impotent and powerless.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

God is a human concept, no more than that. There's "something out there" all right - I think that is a logically compelled position, but it's not God - unless you choose to call it that.

I always thought it a bit odd that Christianity typically decries paganism, yet nonetheless apes the pagan system of thought.

• God always tells me to stop babbling and listen. Then when I do. Nothing! Not a word!

Holy Ghosting!

DavidSuraShine

@lobster said:
    Nothing! Not a word!

It was said of Sri Ramana Maharshi that when a seeker first came to him he would sit with him in silence, that that was his most powerful message. Only when it was clear that the seeker wasn’t understanding and wanted to ask questions would Ramana give him an answer.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Holy Ghosting. Love it.

I always figured that if we are really honest with ourselves we would accept that we just don't know either way what lies beyond this earthly experience.

@David said:
    we just don't know either way what lies beyond this earthly experience.

Or even what is part of this earthly existence. If you start exploring the edges of the dream realm you find you’re not who you thought you were, that your mind is a lot more than your brain.

• I don’t believe in God. I am aware of Him.

lobster
  • @Silouan said:
    I don’t believe in God. I am aware of Him.

Her God! Hymn is aware of my Unbelief …
    Buddha bless her and his children: Thor, Frig, Superma, Cardea, Saehrimnir, Xochipilli etc.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I've been consuming, not so much Athiest content, but skeptical and scientific content for quite a few years now. In that time I've never really had a direct encounter with a simplistic (for lack of a better term) believer... Up until this past week.

I was working for someone and saw some signs that they were a religious Christian. She also had a modest, but nicely upkept home with happy family and professional pictures about. I equated some of what I saw as a happy, successful life probably being helped along by her faith. At some point I noticed a few things with Jehovah's Witness in them and began wondering what level of "belief" this person had.

Anyway, at some point I was working near where she was hanging out for the day and we started talking. It pretty quickly turned to her being Jehovah's Witness and she began asking me the questions. She was reasonably polite and curious, but I had answers to everything and she could see there was "no reaching me".

I went back 2 days later to finish up and even though she maintained a decent amount of professional politeness it was fairly obvious that her attitude towards me had soured. Having a couple days to think about my answers and, I imagine, talk to members of her faith, I was probably now one of the lost and maybe a bit dangerous to be around (I might corrupt her with all the devil ideas I had).

Anyway, it was interesting. But I have a bit of a new found appreciation at the reaction non believers who have to deal with this sort of person on the regular have. It would get tiring and exasperating.

lobsterShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2022

@person said:
    … but I had answers to everything and she could see there was "no reaching me".

thank Jehovah someone has … ;)

• What is the best way to reach out … or better yet in?
    • Is it better for some to be wrong … whose right is that?
    • How much Noble Silence is correcting?

"In the imagery of the Kabbalah the shekhinah is the most overtly female sefirah, the last of the ten sefirot, referred to imaginatively as 'the daughter of God'. ... The harmonious relationship between the female shekhinah and the six sefirot which precede her causes the world itself to be sustained by the flow of divine energy. She is like the moon reflecting the divine light into the world."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah

and now back to the unbelievable

@person said:
    It pretty quickly turned to her being Jehovah's Witness and she began asking me the questions. She was reasonably polite and curious, but I had answers to everything and she could see there was "no reaching me".

That kind of person who tries to actively win souls for God can be a pain. Not so long ago I had a couple of visitors at the door, a pair of women who were Jehovah’s Witnesses. They engaged me in conversation, but when I said my beliefs were mostly buddhist they gave up almost immediately.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Ah, the Witnesses. We used to get them coming around frequently, attempting to convince us that their particular viewpoint was, somehow, logically compelled - mostly by quoting from the Bible. I would often try to get them off this narrow track, and to say something that came from their own mind rather than from the dogmas of their organization. Once in while I would succeed, but not very often.

I think they've finally given up on me - haven't seen them for years. I kind of miss them, oddly enough.

personShoshin1
  • thank the Lord Lama Buddha spaghetti monster we do not have Evangelical Buddhism … phew!

Oh wait … tsk, tsk
    https://www.dayamati.org/queries/metaphysics/buddha-nature/a-buddha-for-the-west/evangelical-buddhism/