Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddhist Quotes

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“I found that the chief difficulty for most people was to realize that they had really heard ‘new things’: that is, things that they had never heard before. They kept translating what they heard into their habitual language. They had ceased to hope and believe there might be anything new.”
    —Ouspensky

Jeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Change is the essential process to all existence.

--Spock

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Once I was chastising Maharajji for giving photos to people who were worldly and didn’t care about him. He said, “You don’t understand me. If I tell a man he is a great bhakta (devotee). I am planting a seed. If a person already has the seed planted and growing, why should I plant another?” I said, “You are telling these drunkards, liars, and dacoits that they are real bhaktas. They will just go home and carry on their old behaviors.” Maharajji said, “Some of them will remember what I said of them, and it will make them want to develop this quality in themselves. If ten out of a hundred are inspired in this way, it is a very good thing.”
    ― Ram Dass, Miracle of Love: Stories about Neem Karoli Baba

“For many years before I met Maharajji I was searching, going here and there, studying this and that. I began following strict yogic codes—brahmacharya, 3:00 A.M. risings, cold baths, asanas, and dhyan. It was during a period when I had given up coffee and tea that I met Maharajji. Tea was being offered to all of us, and I didn’t know what to do. I said nothing but did not accept a cup of tea, and Maharajji leaned over to me, saying, “Won’t you take tea? Take tea! You should drink the tea. It’s good for you in this weather! Take tea!” So I drank the tea. With that one cup of tea, all those strict disciplines and schedules were washed away! They seemed meaningless and unnecessary; the true work seemed beyond these things. Now I do whatever comes of itself.”

“About the miracle babas Maharajji would say, “What is this? This is all foolishness.” He could do miracles, but the greatest miracle was that he could turn one’s heart and mind toward God, as he did for me.”

“Fear is the path to the dark side.
    Fear leads to anger.
    Anger leads to hate.
    Hate leads to suffering.”
    — Yoda

“Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is.”
    — Yoda

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A bit long, but worth a read...

"On the day I die a lot will happen.
    A lot will change.
    The world will be busy.
    On the day I die, all the important appointments I made will be left unattended.
    The many plans I had yet to complete will remain forever undone.
    The calendar that ruled so many of my days will now be irrelevant to me.
    All the material things I so chased and guarded and treasured will be left in the hands of others to care for or to discard.
    The words of my critics which so burdened me will cease to sting or capture anymore. They will be unable to touch me.
    The arguments I believed I’d won here will not serve me or bring me any satisfaction or solace.
    All my noisy incoming notifications and texts and calls will go unanswered. Their great urgency will be quieted.
    My many nagging regrets will all be resigned to the past, where they should have always been anyway.
    Every superficial worry about my body that I ever labored over; about my waistline or hairline or frown lines, will fade away.
    My carefully crafted image, the one I worked so hard to shape for others here, will be left to them to complete anyway.
    The sterling reputation I once struggled so greatly to maintain will be of little concern for me anymore.
    All the small and large anxieties that stole sleep from me each night will be rendered powerless.
    The deep and towering mysteries about life and death that so consumed my mind will finally be clarified in a way that they could never be before while I lived.
    These things will certainly all be true on the day that I die.

Yet for as much as will happen on that day, one more thing that will happen.
    On the day I die, the few people who really know and truly love me will grieve deeply.
    They may feel a void.
    They may feel cheated.
    They may not feel ready.
    They may feel as though a part of them has died as well.

And on that day, more than anything in the world they will want more time with me.
    I know this from those I love and grieve over.
    And so knowing this, while I am still alive I’ll try to remember that my time with them is finite and fleeting and so very precious - and I’ll do my best not to waste a second of it.
    I’ll try not to squander a priceless moment worrying about all the other things that will happen on the day I die, because many of those things are either not my concern or beyond my control.

Friends, those other things have an insidious way of keeping you from living even as you live; vying for your attention, competing for your affections.
    They rob you of the joy of this unrepeatable, uncontainable, ever - evaporating 'Now', with those who love you and want only to share it with you.
    Don’t miss the chance to dance with them while you can.
    It’s easy to waste so much daylight in the days before you die.
    Don’t let your life be stolen every day by all that you’ve been led to believe matters, because on the day you die, the fact is that much of it simply won’t.
    Yes, you and I will die one day.
    But before that day comes: let us live.
    John Pavlovitz

lobsterDavid
  • Jeffrey

“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.”
    ― Terence McKenna

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

" I have no wish to defend my 'vices' with propaganda, making out that they are in fact virtues which others should follow. I am only saying that I distrust people who show no sign of naughtiness or self-indulgence.”

Alan Watts

Shoshin1Jeroen

“We realize there isn’t a justified reason to argue with reality, because we’ll never win the fight. Argueing with reality is a sure way to suffer, a perfect prescription for suffering.”
    — Adyashanti

“Enlightenment is the crumbling away of untruth. It’s seeing through the facade of pretense. It’s the complete eradication of everything we imagined to be true—from ourselves to the world.
    In this process we discover that even the greatest inventions of the greatest minds in human history are but the dreams of children. We start to see that all the great philosophies and all the great philosophers are part of the dream.”
    — Adyashanti

• “I didn't arrive at my understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe through my rational mind.”
    “Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. Matter is spirit reduced to point of visibility. There is no matter.”
    "Time and space are not conditions in which we live, but modes by which we think.
    Physical concepts are free creations of the human mind, and are not, however it may seem, determined by the external world."
    “Time does not exist – we invented it. Time is what the clock says. The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”
    “I think 99 times and find nothing. I stop thinking, swim in silence, and the truth comes to me."
    "The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it intuition or what you will, the solution comes to you and you don’t know how or why.”
    "A human being experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
    "Our separation from each other is an optical illusion."
    “When something vibrates, the electrons of the entire universe resonate with it. Everything is connected. The greatest tragedy of human existence is the illusion of separateness.”
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    “We are souls dressed up in sacred biochemical garments and our bodies are the instruments through which our souls play their music.”
    “When you examine the lives of the most influential people who have ever walked among us, you discover one thread that winds through them all. They have been aligned first with their spiritual nature and only then with their physical selves.”
    “The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self.”
    “The ancients knew something, which we seem to have forgotten.”
    “The more I learn of physics, the more I am drawn to metaphysics.”
    “One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike. We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us. It is entirely possible that behind the perception of our senses, worlds are hidden of which we are unaware.”
    “I’m not an atheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books.”
    "The common idea that I am an atheist is based on a big mistake. Anyone who interprets my scientific theories this way, did not understand them."
    "Everything is determined, every beginning and ending, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper."
    “The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It will transcend a personal God and avoid dogma and theology.”
    “Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”
    “Everything is energy and that is all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you can not help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.”
    "I am happy because I want nothing from anyone. I do not care about money. Decorations, titles or distinctions mean nothing to me. I do not crave praise. I claim credit for nothing. A happy man is too satisfied with the present to dwell too much on the future."

~Albert Einstein~

Love is like a fart, if you push too hard to make it happen it turns to shit.
    — anonymous

Shoshin1

“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.”
    — Socrates

lobster
  • lobsterJeffrey
  • Will Rogers - comedian social commentator when asked why he did not run for a Congressional seat : "I don't want to give up my amateur status..."

Jeroen
  • "An honest religious thinker is like a tightrope walker. He almost looks as though he were walking on nothing but air. His support is the slenderest imaginable. And yet it really is possible to walk on it"
    ~Ludwig Wittgenstein~

Jeroen
  • "Assuming the worst in others, will show our worst character, assuming the best in others is always the best course of action"

Superior Judge Timothy Walmsley

Jeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Superior Judge Timothy Walmsley don't know my husband! :lol:

Kotishka

“In most of our human relationships, we spend much of our time reassuring one another that our costumes of identity are on straight.”
    ― Ram Dass

FleaMarket

“As long as you have certain desires about how it ought to be you can't see how it is.”
    ― ram dass

• "He tugged on Superman's cape."
    - Unknown

lobster
    edited August 2022

There's an amount of Wisdom in admitting that you're ignorant.
    There's an awful lot of ignorance in claiming to be Wise.

(Me.)

lobsterKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2022

@Lionduck said:
    "He tugged on Superman's cape."
    - Unknown

This reminds me of Bodhi Christ when virtue/grace/power goes out of him due to someone with faith believing. Luke 8:45

“The heart surrenders everything to the moment. The mind judges and holds back.”
    — Ram Dass

“Every religion is the product of the conceptual mind attempting to describe the mystery.”
    — Ram Dass

“You are only a disciple because your eyes are closed. The day you open them you will see there is nothing you can learn from me or anyone. What then is a Master for? To make you see the uselessness of having one.”
    — Anthony de Mello

lobster

“The mind in the everyday is being used as a threat-detection machine. The mind on psychedelics is like it gains another dimension.”
    — Terence McKenna

“Belief seems a dangerous and unnecessary way of thinking. After all, if something is there, it doesn’t need you to believe in it, and if something is not there, why believe in it?”
    — Terence McKenna

“The next time I was capable of it, I asked the mushroom how we could save the planet. The mushroom hesitated roughly a third of a second and replied, every woman should bear only one natural child.”
    — Terence McKenna

• "Don’t wait for the storm to pass; dance in the rain."
    -Kevin Kelly

Shoshin1lobster
  • If you're not grateful for what you have,
    you'll never be happy with what you get.
    You'll always feel like you don't have enough.
    You’ll regret the past,
    because you could have 'done more'.
    And you'll be anxious about the future,
    because you could 'miss out' on riches.
    Find gratitude for the smallest things -
    the morning sun, a sip of water, your old shoes -
    and happiness is yours,
    no matter what you get
    or what you lose.

• Jeff Foster
    lobsterperson
  • Thanks @Jeffrey

Seems like a plan
    Which book of his is this from?

I went to his wikipedia entry. Just reading that gives insight into his unfolding …

• "Every culture is horrible in its own way."

Slavoj Zizek

person

“No thing in existence has a particular cause; the entire universe contributes to the existence of even the smallest thing; nothing could be as it is without the universe being what it is.”
    — Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

FleaMarket
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited September 2022

'Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God.'

“What you think you are is a belief to be undone.”

“Rest does not come from sleeping but from waking.”

“There is no one who does not feel that he is imprisoned in some way. If this is the result of his own free will he must regard his will as not free, or the circular reasoning in this position would be quite apparent. Free will must lead to freedom.”

“The one wholly true thought one can hold about the past is that it is not here. To think about it at all is therefore to think about illusions.”

“God is in everything I see because God is in my mind.”

“Only those who have a real and lasting sense of abundance can be truly charitable.”

A Course in Miracles

lobster
  • Thanks @pegembara

A bit god centric for my tastes but ideal for those so inclined …

As I said to God only this morning, 'as I have no Mind at least both of us are delusions'.

Silence. <3

Kotishkapegembara

“Our free will is constrained by all manner of addictions and traumas, attractors and avoiders, old dreams and terrors. To call us ‘free’ would be a major stretch of the imagination.”
    — me

KotishkaShoshin1lobster
  • "Poipoia te kākano, kia puawai. Nurture the seed and it will blossom"

~Maori Saying~

Kotishka
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2022

"The Cosmos is within us, we are made of star stuff ...We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself"

~Carl Sagan~

lobsterJeroenKotishka

“Surrender is to surrender your concept of separateness, your ego. Surrender is to surrender your stupidness, your wickedness to the will of existence. That’s all.”
    — H. W. L. Poonja

“‘I am bound’ and ‘I am free’ is exactly the same trap. So only the desire for freedom will help you, for you are what you think. Think of destroying the mind and the mind becomes a destroyer. Think of Freedom and you become Freedom.”
    — H. W. L. Poonja

FleaMarket

“At the end of sadhana the Guru confirms you are free. Because you came to Lucknow not for freedom, but to know you are not bound. In satsang you have to remove your doubts, because it is only doubts that kept you from being free. Simply keep quiet!”
    — H. W. L. Poonja

“Everything is your guru: the rocks teach you silence, the trees teach you compassion, and the wind teaches you non-attachment.”
    — H. W. L. Poonja

Kotishka

“Face is index of mind”
    — Terence McKenna

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

"If discomfort and danger be always at hand, why adventure? Something in mankind leads folks to such foolishness, and the rest of us benefit by the riches and knowledge and dreams they bring us. Why else tolerate such dangerous idiots?" ~ Ed Greenwood Spellfire

JeffreyFleaMarket