Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All things Sport(s)

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Australia are one step closer to the FIFA World Cup after a win against UAE this morning.

There are still two spots to be filled with two final games next week to determine them.

NZ v Costa Rica
    Australia v Peru

In all honesty, any of these teams is just making up the numbers in Qatar but it's always fun for your team to make it :)

Yes I was surprised to see Wales made it after a 1-0 win against the Ukraine in Cardiff. I think they will do well just to win a game against the bigger teams in Qatar, but fun that they are there. The netherlands also qualified some time ago.

In the Nations League, Holland beat Belgium 4-1 which i thought was a surprise, the Belgians have had a really solid team for some years.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yeeeeeessss!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Congraturlations @bunks…

Bunks

Hehe 😜

Biggest home loss by England since 1928 I hear…

Bunks

I must admit, although I wasn’t convinced by the Nations League at first, it has been quite a good invention, I have enjoyed the matches. Because of the way the groups are organised you get fewer processionals such as Germany v San Morino, which tends to have scores like 6-0, and you get more interesting games between evenly-matched teams.

• Some team from Oakland beat some team from Boston and got a pretty trophy and handfuls of cash and bragging rights.
    Meanwhile in the International Snail Race, lap three of four, Flash Escargot hold the lead with Drag Foot hot on his heels as Slime trail gains. Winner expected to cross the finish line around 2:00 PM tomorrow.

JeroenBunks

Yeah the Celtics lost in the NBA Finals, I saw it.

Bunks

What do you guys think of the Qatar world cup? Holding the world cup in the winter, while disturbing all the domestic leagues?

@Jeroen said:
    What do you guys think of the Qatar world cup? Holding the world cup in the winter, while disturbing all the domestic leagues?

Yeah it doesn't seem to be going down too well with the England fans. Think they like the idea of it being in their summer which makes sense.

It suits me as it will be summer here but the timeslots still not great. A lot of games happening over night.

What are your thoughts?

I’m a traditionalist for wanting to have the World Cup in the summer, I guess, and I think the whole process of buying world cups, as seems to have happened with Russia and Qatar, is far from ideal. It’ll be interesting to have a world cup where all the players are in the prime of their seasonal form, which is something.

At least the match times are ok, daytime and early evening for me.

Bunks
  • Sadio Mane, a Senegalese soccer star, earns approximately $10.2 million annually. He gave the world a rude awakening after some fans were flabbergasted when they saw him carrying a cracked iPhone 11. His response was awesome:
    "Why would I want ten Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, and two jet planes? I starved, I worked in the fields, played barefoot, and I didn't go to school. Now I can help people. I prefer to build schools and give poor people food or clothing. I have built schools and a stadium, provide clothes, shoes, and food for people in extreme poverty. In addition, I give 70 euros per month to all people from a very poor Senegalese region in order to contribute to their family economy. I do not need to display luxury cars, luxury homes, trips, and even planes. I prefer that my people receive some of what life has given me."

JeroenBunks

@Shoshin1 said:

Sadio Mane, a Senegalese soccer star, earns approximately $10.2 million annually. He gave the world a rude awakening after some fans were flabbergasted when they saw him carrying a cracked iPhone 11. His response was awesome:
    "Why would I want ten Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, and two jet planes? I starved, I worked in the fields, played barefoot, and I didn't go to school. Now I can help people. I prefer to build schools and give poor people food or clothing. I have built schools and a stadium, provide clothes, shoes, and food for people in extreme poverty. In addition, I give 70 euros per month to all people from a very poor Senegalese region in order to contribute to their family economy. I do not need to display luxury cars, luxury homes, trips, and even planes. I prefer that my people receive some of what life has given me."

All too often we hear stories about the excesses of sports people but rarely hear the stories of selflessness and generosity that often occur. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10607215/Shane-Warnes-support-Boxing-Day-Tsunami-victims-turned-hated-beloved-Sri-Lanka.html

Shoshin1

@Jeroen - NUFC have just signed a young Dutch defender. Looks like a quality player.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61933036

edited June 2022

Sven Botman yes. He is not that well known in the Netherlands, i’m surprised the fee was so high. But he looks like a good player. The national team have a surplus of good central defenders at the moment, otherwise he would be playing for the senior team.

Newcastle seem to be doing well upgrading their defense first.

@Jeroen said:
    Sven Botman yes. He is not that well known in the Netherlands, i’m surprised the fee was so high. But he looks like a good player. The national team have a surplus of good central defenders at the moment, otherwise he would be playing for the senior team.

Newcastle seem to be doing well upgrading their defense first.

Yep, think we've shored that up now. We still need a Striker and I think we'll be pretty good to go...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You know how Russia has been excluded from Sport competitions, and all manner of global events, because basically Putin is a power-crazy little despot with criminal intentions?

Can't we do the same with America?

Seeing as they're intent on slowly destroying every single right there could possibly be for half of its population, I think that can be classed as a crime against humanity.... can't it?

Bunks

Arsenal seem to be spending considerably on their new attacking line…

Bunks
    edited July 2022

First Chelsea buy Romelu Lukaku from Inter for 110m euro, then he doesn’t quite make it, and now he is loaned back to Inter for 10m a year…

And Manchester United is looking to buy Frenkie de Jong from Barcelona for 85m. Huge amounts of cash being spent.

Bunks

Yeah football money is absurd.

Neymar gets paid £600,000 a week…A WEEK!!!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Michael Jordan:

"I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Incredible mentality

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Bunks how good are your Carlton doing???

The baseball playoffs are happening again and last night there were some classic games: the San Diego Padres (a small team) knocked out the Los Angeles Dodgers (one of the biggest teams), there was an inside-the-park home run, there was an 18-inning nailbiter decided by one run between the Seattle Mariners and the Houston Astros, and the Cleveland Guardians (another small team) had a walk-off comeback victory against the New York Yankees (the biggest team in the league).

The baseball is down to four teams now…

Philadephia Phillies v San Diego Padres
    New York Yankees v Houston Astros

You’d expect the winner of the Yankees v Astros to also win the World Series, but we will see.

• The women's rugby world cup is on, held here in Aotearoa

SuraShine

The World Series is being played between the Houston Astros and the Philadelphia Phillies. Its 1-1 in a best-of-seven games format, the first two games played in Houston, the next three in Philadelphia, and the last two in Houston again, if required.

I was hearing some very alarming things about Barcelona’s finances, that they’ve sold about 40% or so of their television rights over the next 25 years in order to finance acquisitions on the transfer market. Sounds like they’re not going to be a big football club for very long…

The Phillies were held to zero hits in the latest World Series game, it was a combined no-hitter by the Astros starter Javier and the bullpen which was only the second no-hitter in World Series history.

• The Black Ferns beat France to reach the semi finals of the women's rugby world cup...but it was close...25-24...

The football World Cup has started in Qatar. Seems there is a kerfuffle about LGBTQ rights, because gay love is illegal in Qatar. Some teams have said they will play with a OneLove rainbow armband in support of gay rights, FIFA is trying to quash that movement and so on.

Shoshin1
  • The Black Ferns won the women's rugby world cup, by beating England...

In the World Cup there have been a few surprising results, so far. Saudi Arabia beat Argentina 2-1, and Japan beat Germany 2-1, so it looks like a few high-ranking nations may go home early. There have been a few big scores as well, England beat Iran 6-2, and Spain beat Costa Rica 7-0. France, Brazil and the Netherlands all won their opening matches.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

US and England both look good, and each has a Chelsea player who almost scored.

I watched a little of the USA v England match and thought it looked pretty lively in the first twenty minutes. But from reading the Guardian write-up of the match it later on turned dull and turgid, with England’s four defenders having more touches of the ball than the rest of the team put together.

The thing I enjoy most about the World Cup is watching Brazil play. They have such a lot of talent and skill on the pitch…

Some good games today. Excited for France and Denmark right now.

edited November 2022

Add Marokko winning 2-0 against Belgium to the list of upsets. Its a shame because Belgium had what they call a “golden generation” of players like Kevin de Bruyne, Eden Hazard, Dries Mertens, and Jan Vertonghen, who are all in their thirties now and for whom this will probably be the last big tournament, and they may leave the stage without a title… Their best result was third place in the 2018 World Cup.

The Spain v Germany match tonight should be a cracker. If the Germans lose, they may be out of the tournament, so its a high-pressure occasion.

It was a hard fought tie.

Brazil playing against Switzerland this afternoon.

The next matches coming up are USA v Iran and England v Wales. Its interesting because a lot can still happen in this group. It’s difficult to imagine a scenario in which England doesn’t go through though.

• marcitkomarcitko Veteran
    edited November 2022

I am watching the Football World Cup too. Rooting for Croatia, England, Brazil, and any underdog that does well.

Might give "The Cup" a rewatch, it was a favourite of our old friend @genkaku

Shoshin1

So, USA versus the Netherlands in the next round!

edited December 2022

Well I think @Bunks would have been proud of the Socceroos, they gave their all and made Argentina sweat right up until the last minute in the World Cup. Argentina go through and play the Netherlands next, who beat the USA 3-1 earlier today.

• KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited December 2022

I have never seen my father so happy in a while. Vamos Argentina👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 We've got The Messi Ah❤️ haha

• And @Jeroen it is time Argentina visits an old rival. Netherlands vs Argentina is a promising match!

Still haven’t forgiven Argentina for the 1978 World Cup final. I think existence owes a few victories to the Dutch national side. Beat Argentina in the quarters, Brazil in the semis, and France in the final, sounds easy…

marcitko
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2022

As relating to Buddhism I get a sense of fear sometimes when I'm watching a team play that I really want to win. Like anxiety. Doesn't happen every time I spectator sports watch just big games when a team I like has a chance to win a championship or the like.

So I guess it's a chance to turn towards and face a feeling in my body and mind of fear or discomfort. And you win some but also lose some. And you might miss an opportunity to be a champion but there's always next season.

Well it’s not over yet but I’m calling it, England are 3-0 up and have just brought on fresh attackers, Senegal are showing very few signs of life. Its going to be France v England in the quarterfinals, which will be a very tasty match, don’t know who I would favour there.

• I've read that the Netherlands are the best-performing team that never won the World Cup. Would sure deserve a win! But the road ahead sounds very hard!

• Croatia's goalie is a penalti stopping beast

marcitko