Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited May 2023

Just had an alert sound on my phone...Orange alert warning for the Auckland area including the islands...Heavy rain strong winds and severe threat of flooding in parts of Auckland ( some areas are already flooding) and the real heavy rain is yet to come...

I think there's an atmospheric river flowing over the northern parts of Aotearoa ...

Since the beginning of this year ( well it started in December ) it's as if we have had nothing but cyclone after cyclone, tropical storm after tropical storm and flood after flood...

Its bucketing down now...Climate change is here folks....

Water flowing down the driveway towards my car...

• How's the property foundation @Shoshin1? You all staying dry inside?

edited May 2023

@FleaMarket said:
    How's the property foundation @Shoshin1? You all staying dry inside?

My apartment's above the garage so I'm okay I'm in no danger of being flooded out, however my neighbour's apartment is at ground level, fortunately the rain eased off which allowed the water to drain away before it became an issue...

When the rain was at its heaviest , thick sheets of rain I could hardly see into the vineyard next door...

Some other parts of the island weren't so lucky, quite a few places flooded out by the looks of it...

More rain and strong winds to come....There's going to be a lot of anxious people, especially the ones whose places were flooding out during the cyclones...

Time to batten down the hatches once again...Would you believe it, yet another major storm just arriving ....strong winds and heavy rains, the strong winds have arrived and the heavy rain is expected anytime between 9pm this evening to 9am in the morning...At the moment the power is still on . but this could change anytime...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Wow Shoshin, you guys are getting hit a lot this autumn… wishing you the best of luck!

Shoshin1

Thanks @Jeroen ...Yes it's crazy times...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I was coming across some articles about El Niño and how that is likely going to impact the world’s weather. It seems to be made worse because of climate change.

edited May 2023

Well it doesn't rain it pours ...there's been a 7.7 earthquake just off New Caledonia, so there's now a tsunami warning for Aotearoa(NZ) for most of the North Island and part of the South Island...And more heavy rain and strong winds to come...

FleaMarketJeroen

Hey there Bunks, it’s good to hear the pitter-patter of your tiny little words again! Welcome back!

NewBuddhist has become rather quiet, there are a few people who discuss their experiences with Buddhism and not-Buddhism, and once in a while a new person drops by. You should read Federica’s thread about her car, that was quite a drama. My contributions have been a little of this, a little of that.

Personally, I have been spending more time reading Osho and the last few days U. G. Krishnamurti. I sometimes return to Buddhism and still occasionally give advice from a Buddhist point of view, but I have come to realise that the later stages of the Buddhist path are not for me. Still doing ‘just sitting’ meditation from time to time though.

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Hi everyone! After almost a year away I decided it was time to come back and see how you all are.
    What’s been happening?

The few Buddhist acquaintances that started Zoom meditating twice a day when
    Covid Quarantining limited access to their own various Sangha's, continue to do so. Anybody stumbling upon our Zoomings probably wouldn't know if we were Buddhist or Quakers.

80% of anything I write for NB, while being an interesting personal exploration of what is it that comes up for me at that moment in response to some question, probably doesn't get sent....because others have already adequately covered it.
    NB is relatively similar to what it was before you left except for some writing shift changes.
    Here's a shout-out to AI who forgot to introduce herself.

NB continues like a slowly spinning jewel, whose various reflecting facets offer ever-changing glimmerings of a greater whole.
    But......

What's been happening for you?

lobsterVastmind
  • marcitkomarcitko Veteran

I had a one-on-one 1.5 hour meeting with the recently-former mayor of my 1 million large city. She has recently been employed at my former work-place in my line of work and wanted me to give her some advice. We talked mostly about work but I also got to ask a few questions about her experiences in politics.

It was very interesting because I studied political science and always wanted to get a feeling for how such "high politicians" act and think (beyond what you read in the media or assume). The fact that my political party toppled her did not get in the way of a good conversation.

Jeroenlobster

Welcome home @Bunks...hope the experiences has been beneficial to both body and mind....

Bunks

A week out from the official start of winter...but Mother Nature may have other plans...

It's still quite warm 17-18C....and some diehards are still going in for a dip....

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Sing, chant, musician?

Joint ... eh join ... the party ...
    https://fedivision.party/

Bunks
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

So happy to see you again @Bunks ! =)

Nothing major with me right now….just taking a hard life easy. B)

Shoshin1Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    So happy to see you again @Bunks ! =)

Nothing major with me right now….just taking a hard life easy. B)

Nice to see you too @Vastmind 😀

I drove into the village to pick up some up some essentials ..( chips & crackers) and decided to go and have a look at the rough waves at Oneroa...and the calm sheltered bay of Blackpool...
    They reminded me of....the mind's states...
    calm & tranquil

Or turbulent

JeroenlobsterBunksFleaMarket

I just had my first cup of green tea in ages. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I may have to experiment with more kinds of tea drunk plain without milk.

Shoshin1lobsterBunks

@Jeroen said:
    I just had my first cup of green tea in ages. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I may have to experiment with more kinds of tea drunk plain without milk.

@Jeroen have you tried Oolong or Gunpower teas ?
    Oolong is what's known as a black and green tea blend often called blue tea..
    The leaves of both Oolong (black green blend) and Gunpower green teas are rolled into tight balls and expand when the hot water is poured over them...

Really nice teas.... a good wake-me-up of a morning...

Jeroen

@Shoshin1 said:

@Jeroen said:

@Jeroen have you tried Oolong or Gunpower teas ?
    Oolong is what's known as a black and green tea blend often called blue tea..
    The leaves of both Oolong (black green blend) and Gunpower green teas are rolled into tight balls and expand when the hot water is poured over them...

Really nice teas.... a good wake-me-up of a morning...

I may have had them in the distant past, long before I got into mindfulness and had a good focus on my tastebuds. During that callow period my response was likely “that’s nice”.

There isn’t a decent tea shop in my area, I may have to go to Amsterdam to get good teas.

Shoshin1
  • Traveling to and visiting a tea shop is probably more fulfilling but this site has been good to me in the past. https://www.adagio.com/
    They have good gun powder. They have good sencha too but I also like things that taste like grass.

Shoshin1Jeroen
  • I have ordered Shobogenzo print version to rest my eyes from excessive screen use.

Anyone else find that screens end up tiring your eyes a lot more than reading on paper?

Shoshin1

@lobster said:
    Have not walked to the Thames since before covid lock down. Glad to see my favourite dead end sign is still in operation. Much new urban greenery created or in preparation

Which part of the Thames do you walk along lobster?

Back in my running days I used to go from Chiswick to Putney bridge and back.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Bunks I take a route along a fast moving urban chalk stream, the River Wandle.
    I used to cycle along the Thames path as far as Chiswick.

There is a second route I use which goes mostly through commons and parks to get to the Thames. London is a very green city. 👋

JeroenBunksShoshin1
    edited June 2023

On my jolk this morning I saw the the Moon greet the Sun as one shift ended and the other started ...At times the moon works overtime ...

Bunks
  • zorrozorro minneapolis Veteran
    edited June 2023

The moon was shining sulkily
    Because she thought the sun
    Had got no business to be there--
    After the day was done.
    "It's very rude of him," she said
    "To come and spoil the fun."

Lewis Carroll

Shoshin1Jeroen

I came across this…

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/06/whistleblower-ufo-alien-tech-spacecraft

And it seemed interesting that The Guardian would publish it, the guy must have a pretty good reputation. Maybe there is something to this UFO malarkey after all…

lobsterBunks
  • The local news here in Aotearoa(NZ) have said this has been the worst bush fire season on record for Canada...

Hope our Canadian and American friends/members are staying safe from the bush fires and the smoke...

KotishkaBunksWalker
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

My location and the prevailing winds have meant that I've not yet seen or smelt any sign of any fire beyond what the same news has shown you. Of course, that's what a lot of people have said right before they're running for their lives.

JeroenKotishkaShoshin1lobster

My latest attempt to shed some weight appears to be working. I’ve adapted the buddhist monk’s diet and decided to not eat an evening meal, which for me was the largest meal of the day. I do this for about a week, and then eat normally for three days. So far I’ve lost about 4 kgs, and I hope to get down to an average weight from being somewhat “large”.

KotishkaShoshin1Bunkslobster
  • That is great. What is your breakfast now?

edited June 2023

I eat two slices of bread with cheese and a spread, or sometimes with a bit of tuna and mayo. I also eat some plain digestive biscuits first thing. And coffee. For lunch I take a smoothie, frozen fruit blended with yoghurt and some fruit juice.

Today I lost 0.3 kgs, so I’m losing about 2 kg per 10 days, so 6 kg a month. It will take a while, but I hope it holds up. Most diets lead to me plateau’ing in weight at some point, but because this is intermittent, not continuous, I hope to get down a good ways.

Shoshin1marcitko
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Hope you are prepared Howard. Sealed House, Air filters, sealed nuclear bunker or escape route. I have a clear sky but Scotland is burning …

Your and @Jeroen diet/fast regime seems great

I’ve been looking for a solid, reliable way to lose weight for a long time. Tried quite a few different diets, some of which worked but were not filling or satisfying. But this seems good, I don’t feel hungry or tempted to snack during the day, at most a bit during the evening, and it helps you to be more alert as an added bonus.

lobster
  • Another beautiful winter's day, had my morning jolk , did some washing, then drove into the village to one of my favourite shops

It would be nice if all the winter days were like this, but alas nothing is permanent....

Bunks

Took my kids to the aquarium yesterday. Always a fun day out.

Shoshin1Fosdicklobster
  • Just remember, playful big dogs and possums don't mix well.
    Services will be held at................
    Woffie will lead the eulogy.
    Skittls will lead the procession.
    Hold on - Breaking News!
    The Possum family has left out the back door!
    Services cancelled.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Beautiful nippy Winter's morning...

I was tempted to follow the yellow brick road ...

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

seeing is believ … eh …

… Nope boxes do not move, only the signs
    warning: animation creates flashing light

https://media.mas.to/masto-public/media_attachments/files/110/533/973/728/959/107/original/d8199e37cf9810e1.mp4

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

<3 Just created this 💕

… On a federated alternative to reddit
    https://sopuli.xyz/c/meditation

every one here welcome to share their meditation practices and experiences B)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Finally getting my moated strawberries far enough beyond the range of the usual garden bandits to get them to my own table unmolested.

Shoshin1lobsterBunksKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Excellent @how I knew pole dancing strawberries would be possible … B)

Bunks
  • Summer coming - cool June turning into shoe melt July. Unless of course you are in Southern Australia and New Zeland.

Shoshin1
  • On the morning jolk yesterday I came across a green frog on the road, it wasn't squashed (sadly I mostly find the squashed ones on the road) any how I picked it up but it wasn't moving much, I put this down to it had been quite cold overnight and early morning...I took it to my place and placed it on a large leaf in the sun...

I checked in on it later during the day, it was still on the leaf and didn't move when I touched it...I checked again this morning, it's still there, and not moving...I think its passed on...

BunksFosdick