Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited April 2009
    'Hey, quick delete this heretic! Just kidding!'

hahaha

Thank you Palzang. I have no problem at all with the kind of faith you advocate; as I've said in the 'how to explain faith to an atheist' thread, I think that sort of 'faith in yourself' kinda faith is good and necessary, allowing you to succeed where reason alone might say its impossible.

Peace:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    I am a moderator here.

Sounds ok to me!! :D

We simply expect the same kind of courtesy and respect that anyone would want in any encounter:
    Civility, dignity, politeness and enough sway to know that whatever you say, someone may disagree with you. And you with them.
    But there's no need to be bolshy about it. :cool:

Just to be open, and willing to learn.... even if it's "well, I'm definitely not going down THAT road!"

Prometheus, you are most welcome here.

By the way....
    Its your turn to wash up. :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hi, Yuriy, and welcome! It's lovely to meet you and all the way from the Ukraine! I'm in Canada so we're probably half a world apart geographically. Great to see you here.

Hi again, Prometheus. (I said hello in the "Am I a Buddhist???..." thread.)

You'll definitely never get banned from here for the type of post you wrote above. We're not rigid like that. We're careful and thoughtful, but not narrow minded. I think very much the way you think. I need evidence. I need the whoßle story as much as possible. I won't insist on knowing anything about the poison arrow I got shot with before I let the doctor take it out, but I'll definitely be asking questions after!

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I hope you both find this wonderful haven as useful and comforting as I have over the last 3 years. I love these people. They're truly my brothers and sisters along the Path and I hope your time here brings you equal joy and friendship.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hello Yuriy and Prometheus, how good to have new playmates from such distant places.

Prometheus, it is good to see that, even if you do without supernatural propositions, you still grasp the importance of mythology.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Prometheus wrote: »
    I have no problem at all with the kind of faith you advocate; as I've said in the 'how to explain faith to an atheist' thread, I think that sort of 'faith in yourself' kinda faith is good and necessary, allowing you to succeed where reason alone might say its impossible.

Well put.

Palzang
  • edited April 2009
    'We simply expect the same kind of courtesy and respect that anyone would want in any encounter: Civility, dignity, politeness and enough sway to know that whatever you say, someone may disagree with you. And you with them'.

Just what I was looking for. I've tested the waters and they feel good. Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Yeh ok.

but you still need to do the washing up.....

:D
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Welcome Yuriy!!
  • edited April 2009
    'but you still need to do the washing up.....'

It's the first thing on my list after grooming my leprachaun...:lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Eeeyu, how can you touch those things?! :crazy:

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Prometheus wrote: »
    'but you still need to do the washing up.....'

It's the first thing on my list after grooming my leprachaun...:lol:
    Lol!! Good one!
  • edited May 2009
    Hello everyone, my name is Wesley! I’m 27 years old and I’m new to both Buddhism and the forums. I’ve spent the last few days obsessively going through some of the threads and I’m blown away by the amount of respect that the members of this forum show for each other and the amount of wisdom shared throughout. I was raised a non-denominational Christian until I was 18 when I separated from the Church and became an atheist. It’s taken me a few years to grow up and realize it, but most recently I’ve noticed that I’m cold and empty. I’m always haunted by this feeling that there’s more to life than wake up, work, and go to sleep, but I’ve never had a vehicle to help me understand that I could break from that cycle.

It’s been almost 10 years years since I’ve felt anything that I would describe as “spiritual”, but reading and learning about Buddhist teachings has given me a warm and unusual feeling inside. It’s had a measurable impact on my mood and I feel as though I’m slowly crawling my way out of a dark chasm. The effect feels all-encompassing, but I know that it’s only a small step in the beginning of a larger journey. I’m so tired of the darkness and I am ready to learn and work my way into the light. I hope that this doesn’t sound too sentimental or mushy or anything. I just hope that you will accept me and that I can learn from each of you. :lol:
  • edited May 2009
    A belated hello and welcome to Yuriy and Prometheus.

Welcome today to Nomad. I think you'll like it here,you'll find plenty of help and support, so make yourself comfortable!

With kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Welcome, everyone :)

Nomad, you sound a lot like me.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Welcome Nomad.

I guess as long as the warm and unusual feeling isn't heartburn, that's a good thing! ;)

What's happening to you is that your basic sanity is looking for answers. You're questioning your existence, which sounds very ordinary and pointless, yeah? So you feel there's more. That's the way we all start on the path. We all feel that there's something missing, that there has to be more to life than what you describe. And that's what the Buddha said in the First Noble Truth, that life in samsara is unsatisfying. There is no way to find lasting happiness.

So I wish you success on your path of discovery. There is a lot here to help you along the way, though at some point you'll need to find a sangha and a teacher to really make progress. Meanwhile, glad to have you here!

Palzang
  • edited May 2009
    Welcome to the recent Tsunami of newbies. It's certainly picked up a bit recently.
  • edited May 2009
    Hey everyone i'll introduce myself im 22 year old student at university, i have always enjoyed Buddhism. Im looking forward to being inspired by the people here and learning more about Buddhism.

Im just starting on my meditational journey :-p
  • edited May 2009
    Hello Samadhi and a warm welcome to the group!

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited May 2009
    Brian, Dazzle, and Palzang: Thank you for the warm welcome!

Palzang, I guess you can say that I came here by process of elimination. I decided that my warm feeling was either heartburn or a spiritual awakening, and I decided that it must be the latter since Prilosec OTC had no effect on me. :cool:

In all seriousness, I don’t live in an area where I could find a teacher or a sangha at this time, but I’ll soon be moving to an area of the country where there’s a Tibetan Buddhism center that could possibly help me out quite a bit. I plan on looking them up when I get there.

Again, thank you!
  • edited May 2009
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Hey everyone i'll introduce myself im 22 year old student at university, i have always enjoyed Buddhism. Im looking forward to being inspired by the people here and learning more about Buddhism.

Im just starting on my meditational journey :-p

Samadhi,

Welcome aboard! You and I are in the same boat. We should do well here. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Hi Nomad and Samadhi! Welcome to the board. It's lovely to meet you both.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    nomad wrote: »
    Samadhi,

Welcome aboard! You and I are in the same boat. We should do well here. :)

We're all on that boat, sailing for that other shore across the ocean of suffering!

Best wishes on your move, Samadhi. Personally I don't have fond memories of Texas...

Palzang
    edited May 2009
    Welcome all... we're glad you're here!
  • edited May 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    We're all on that boat, sailing for that other shore across the ocean of suffering!

Best wishes on your move, Samadhi. Personally I don't have fond memories of Texas...

Palzang

I’ve enjoyed my time in Texas, but I’m ready to move on. The area is nice and I’ve had good luck finding what I need, but there are no Buddhist temples or gurus anywhere close by, so I feel isolated in my spiritual pursuits.
  • edited May 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Hi Nomad and Samadhi! Welcome to the board. It's lovely to meet you both.

Thanks, Brigid! Lovely to meet you as well. :)
    LesC wrote: »
    Welcome all... we're glad you're here!

Thanks, Les! Great to be here!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2009
    I just want to say welcome to all of our new members. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2009
    A warm welcome to all our new friends. I hope to get to know you better.
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks!!!! :D
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    A belated hello and welcome to Yuriy and Prometheus.

Welcome today to Nomad. I think you'll like it here,you'll find plenty of help and support, so make yourself comfortable!

With kind wishes,

Dazzle

Ditto on that - welcome Prom, Yuriy and Nomad :lol:
  • edited May 2009
    Hey! Even though I've been here for a while, I figured i'd officially introduce myself! :) I'm Brad, I'm 16 and raised by SouthernBaptists! I'm interested in Buddhism and possibly becoming a monk. I don't know what school I'd like to join, but I'm leaning towards Tibetan Buddhism. I hope to get involved here! Seems like a cool group!
  • edited May 2009
    Hi, I'm Dawn and I found this site whilst browsing through the internet. I am interested in Buddhism and all it has to teach :)

I look forward to exploring the forums and adding what I can.
  • edited May 2009
    A warm welcome to Brad and Dawn!

Hi again Brad,I think we already met on another thread - as I'm a Tibetan Buddhist practitioner myself I'm very happy to hear of your interest!

Hi Dawn - I live in the UK too. I hope you'll find lots of useful information here and have some interesting discussions with us.

With kind wishes to you both,

Dazzle
  • edited May 2009
    Hey Brad and Dawn, hope you enjoy yourselves. Dawn- cool name.

edited May 2009
    Welcome guys!
    Brad, cool as ever.:winkc:
    Dawn, lovely to have you with us. Thanks for joining us. ;)
  • edited May 2009
    Thank you all so much for the very warm welcome :D
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks guys!
    edited May 2009
    Welcome aboard :)
  • edited May 2009
    Thank you :D
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Welcome to all of our new members. :)
  • edited May 2009
    Welcome Brad and Dawn! Great to have you here!

~nomad
  • edited May 2009
    I have been here on the forum for the last week -- I live in Africa and grew up in Zimbabwe and Kenya, am now bsed near Cape Town. I have been doing sitting meditation, reading Buddhist writers and studying the Pali texts for eight or nine years but since I have worked in such isolation, I consider myself to be a beginner.

Nomad -- Umntu ngumtu ngabantu
    is how your proverb reads in isiXhosa and here we usually say 'A person is a person because of other people'
  • edited May 2009
    Hello and welcome, Mary Arnold!

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited May 2009
    Welcome!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Welcome, Mary!

It's a great pleasure to meet you.
  • edited May 2009
    I have been here on the forum for the last week -- I live in Africa and grew up in Zimbabwe and Kenya, am now bsed near Cape Town. I have been doing sitting meditation, reading Buddhist writers and studying the Pali texts for eight or nine years but since I have worked in such isolation, I consider myself to be a beginner.

Nomad -- Umntu ngumtu ngabantu
    is how your proverb reads in isiXhosa and here we usually say 'A person is a person because of other people'

Mary,

I've seen you around in some other threads. Thanks for the info on my proverb! It's still beautiful. And welcome to the forums! Great to have you here! :-)

~nomad
    edited May 2009
    Welcome to our community :)
  • edited June 2009
    My name is Barb. I am interested in Buddhism because of my late brother.
    He passed away a little over two years ago and we were close. He was studying Buddhism for many years.
    We had some Buddhist Monks come and chant the prayer to purify his ashes at his memorial service. It was so peacful.
    I am now looking for ideas for a tattoo to memorialize my brother.
    Do any of you have any ideas?
    Thank you very much.
    edited June 2009
    bjb412 wrote: »
    He passed away a little over two years ago and we were close. He was studying Buddhism for many years.
    We had some Buddhist Monks come and chant the prayer to purify his ashes at his memorial service. It was so peacful.
    Thank you very much.

Check out this thread...

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3131&highlight=tattoo
  • edited June 2009
    Thank you very much.

Welcome to the Forums. That thread should help you out immensely. I'm wanting a tattoo myself, but budget constraints are keeping me from caving in at the moment. Best wishes!

~nomad.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Thank you very much.
    Hi, Barb!

Welcome to the site.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. It's hard to lose a sibling, especially when you were close. My older sister died two years ago as well. We weren't close at the time of her death but we had been, years before. My heart goes out to you. I think it was wonderful that you were able to have monks come to your brother's memorial service and bless his ashes. I hope with all my heart that I'll be able to have something similar when I die.

I also think it's a beautiful idea to get a tattoo in your brother's honour. The thread Les pointed you to is a great one and I hope it helps.

Lovely to meet you, Barb.