Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I can't believe that I haven't found this thread earlier.

My name is Andy, I am 34. During a nervous breakdown 2 years ago, I lost the ability to read because my mind was so unfocused. I gained the ability to read taking prescribed lorazepam and luvox. Slowly my life began to fall into focus and I stumbled upon Jack Kerouac. I live in the city where he was born. This was the second time in my life I would consider Buddhism but not too seriously. I moved away from the casual Buddhist lifestyle of Kerouac and lately have begun to again read into Buddhism. I have no idea where it will take me. I also play banjo, enjoy baseball, and hike, etc.

Not sure what else to say here. I am searching for peace that will allow me to hold down a job and just get through my day.
  • TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
    edited June 2009
    Hello, my name is Travis Black. I used to post on buddhachat as smilesmago.

I am 24, and I seem to be growing spiritually at what feels like an exponential rate. I can't believe how much I have changed since I discovered I was a self. My life is very interesting, even though I am sure it appears mundane to an outside observer.

I am here to sharpen my intellectual understanding and communication skills. I am also here to help others. Finally I am here to receive help from those who would offer it.

peace
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Welcome, The Dude (Andy) and Travis (smilesmago) :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Welcome to NewBuddhist :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Welcome everyone!
  • edited June 2009
    hello everyone, my name is brody, im 22 years old and im in the army. i finish my contract in September. i just got back from a 15 month tour in march. and i cant wait to move back to Illinois.

i m very new to this and have alot of questions.

well just wanted to say hello.
    edited June 2009
    A warm welcome, Brody ! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Hya Brody, and welcome!
    I moved you to our New Members' Thread! make yourself right at home!!
  • edited June 2009
    Hello Brody, and welcome!
  • edited June 2009
    Welcome NewFolks! :)

~nomad
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Welcome, Brody. Welcome to the site.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi, I'm Vicky, I'm 17, soon to be 18, and have just sat my last A level exam, hopefully going to uni to study literature next year. My partner and I feel that there is something missing from our lives, but have been unsuccessful with other faith groups, and we have recently become interested in buddhism, though at the moment I have been the only one to take this opportunity to explore it further. I am interested in it I feel it fits with many of my personal belief, and I find it a more substantial faith as it's teachings can be tested and questioned without distruction (or I have found so far).

I already posted a new thread in the New Buddhists forum asking for advice before I found this thread here. Thank you to everyone who has already made me feel so welcome!
  • edited June 2009
    Hello Vicky and welcome!

I'm from the UK too.........good luck with your A Level results!

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hi, Vicky. Welcome to the site.
  • edited June 2009
    I recall a Buddhist Geeks podcast featuring The Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche ( http://personallifemedia.com/podcasts/236-buddhist-geeks/episodes/3772-analytical-meditation-going-beyond ) in which he encourages practitioners to choose one tradition and stick to it, though we might browse all dharma. I appreciate those words on so many levels, which is why I was hoping this board’s more experienced practitioners might sound off.
    Joining a temple/dharma centre or going on retreat isn’t practical in my life right now. I do practice daily and continue to learn, but my learning and practice are relatively structureless. I’m not going to pretend to being overly disappointed by this-my passion continues to enjoy a limitless diet of some of Buddhism’s most committed teachers. This is the information age and with the internet, I don’t even need a library card. Very cool! It’s exciting to see and be able to participate in groups like this, and others.
    Now, if someone were to ask me which tradition I study, I would say Theravada. But I know for myself that I may not be able to differentiate between Theravada and Mahayana traditions, if pressed. Do I really feel that the difference will alter my path to liberation? I don’t. That said, I DO know that I know nothing, and I love it. I just want to learn. To be better.
    So… my studies are random and wide and gluttonous (I know), yet my practice is slow and tentative. In practice, I rely on light readings such as The Tricycle Review’s “Commit To Sit”. This is where I may have shot myself in the foot, so to speak. Thanks to my broad readings, I’m aware of things like “the dark night”, and mediation maps, as well as various levels of consciousness, yet I don’t understand them. You know? I assume they would all work in tandem with the Buddha’s teachings, but without guidance they sound dangerous.
    If anyone would like to sound off on these thoughts and experiences, I would be truly happy to read your responses. At this stage, I think my next step in regards to my practice is to consider downloading some guided mediations by a qualified instructor. I know there are several.

Oh, and hello! I’m not going to reverse myself and put my intro at the beginning, but it is odd now that I notice how I just couldn’t wait to get my questions/thoughts out there.
    I’ve spent the better part of the morning, reading and considering several posts-what a great way to begin my day off! I look forward to sharing a dialogue with ….anyone!
    <O:p
    -Jerry
  • edited June 2009
    jerry wrote: »
    Thanks to my broad readings, I’m aware of things like “the dark night”, and mediation maps, as well as various levels of consciousness, yet I don’t understand them. You know? I assume they would all work in tandem with the Buddha’s teachings, but without guidance they sound dangerous.

Hi jerry,
    Welcome. I find your enthusiasm very refreshing. By all means look around and try things out. I personally don't buy the "meditation's dangerous" gumpf one reads in certain places, unless the prospective meditator has mental health issues which need to be taken into account and that's a whole new scenario.

There's nothing to "understand" about meditation - nothing whatsoever. The only benchmark is your own experience whilst doing it. Even fidgeting and drifting off are valid experiences within this context. Learn to be interested in what you experience within meditation and the rest will follow.

Namaste
    Kris
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hi Jerry,

I would say that there is a time to "play the field" and a time to make a commitment to a certain path and follow it. It is important to try different styles, different schools, to see what fits you best, but to make real progress you really have to commit to one or another path and follow it. I did that a long time ago, but I still enjoy reading other teachers and appreciating their wisdom. But I never confuse one path with another.

Palzang
  • edited June 2009
    Hello Jerry,
    I wish you happiness in your search, compassion in the inevitable comparisons, and wisdom in the choice (someday) of one path which speaks to your heart.
    In friendship,
    Anagarika Sevaka
    "Clearly know your own welfare
    And be intent on the highest good."
    Dhammapada (Oneself - Chapter 12)
  • edited June 2009
    Thank you each for your best wishes.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Adding my hello and welcome to you.....
    Nice to meet you jerry. Hope to have many fruitful discussions with you.
    I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your first post to the new member's thread. Feel free to wander about the house, look in all the rooms, and enjoy the garden. tea's in the kitchen.....;)
    edited June 2009
    Adding my welcome to all you good folk as well :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hi, Jerry, and welcome!
  • edited June 2009
    Well thank you muchly, new welcome people. :D
    edited June 2009
    Welcome also Catherine ! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks for the warm and quick:0) welcome.
    edited June 2009
    :)

And welcome to a dear, old friend - piper ! *claps excitedly* :D
  • edited June 2009
    Hi all!

I just found this site. It's nice to see some familiar faces! :)
    edited June 2009
    Welcome Drolma :)
    edited June 2009
    Welcome to NewBuddhist :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hello and welcome to Jerry and Catherine and Ngawang Drolma!
  • edited June 2009
    Welcome Drolma :)

:wavey:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    kuxle.jpg Ngawang Drolma
  • edited July 2009
    hi friends, i am nobody. welcome myself to a new home !
  • edited July 2009
    Hello, I am new here and I wonder, why it is called a newbuddhist.com
    Is it for people who are new to Dharma? Or is it for people who feel to be new kind of Buddhists?
    Anyways, happy to be here.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi, all. Fresh meat here. Glad I found this forum. Lots of good stuff to be explored here.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi there Tathagatagarbha, Marpo and Former Buddhist Monk, and welcome!

_/\_
  • edited July 2009
    Hi, Dazzle, and thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    Hello everyone. Just dropped in to say that I am enjoying looking around the site.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi, Camillus. I just got here, too. So far, so good. Hope you find something useful.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Camillus and welcome. I'm from the UK too!

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Hi, everybody! It's so lovely to see new faces. A big welcome to all of you.
  • edited August 2009
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, just wanted to say hello. I'm new to Buddhism, so I'm really looking forward to learning from everyone.
  • edited August 2009
    Hello I'm new here too I'm 26 years old and interested in Buddhism. I live in the netherlands and just have moved to my new home,

bye
  • edited August 2009
    kuxle.jpg Ngawang Drolma

Pahavi-dhatu :D

16hklf5.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Hi, Urizen and LLotus!

Welcome to the site and thank you both for introducing yourselves.

It's so lovely to see people on here from all around the world. Japan and The Netherlands. Wonderful!
  • edited August 2009
    Hello and welcome to new members!

• edited September 2009
    Hello. Is this where I start? I am a Mother of 2 young children (4 and 6) and a part time physiotherapist (I work with people who have had a stroke). I am quite new to Buddhism.
    I am looking for ways to find calm in my chaotic life and to waft it over my children and husband.
    I need to go and collect the kids from school now but I'll be perusing this fabulous site for ideas and inspiration.
    edited September 2009
    hinny, look no further.
    you have found the answer to life, the universe and everything.
    And contrary to popular opinion, it's 46....

It's lovely to meet you, and you're most welcome here.
    Your room is upstairs.
    everybody's got one......

enjoy your stay with us. :)
  • edited September 2009
    Thank you Federica. I'll go and have a look once I've fed the kids.
    edited September 2009
    Welcome Hinny. I'm a single dad with one kid in elementary school and another in middle school. I know your pain :D

Welcome to the site!