Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation for Equanimity

edited June 2009 in Meditation
I'm currently reading "An Open Heart" by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. In it he explains the Meditation for Equanimity; saying that you first focus on a stranger or acquaintance
"for whom you have no strong feeling one way or the other.From there you should meditate impartially , moving on to friends and then enemies.Upon achieving an impartial attitude toward all sentient beings, you should meditate on love, the wish that they find the happiness they seek"

My question is...isn't this essentially praying for people? I guess I sometimes have a hard time differentiating between what is meditation and what is praying.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I don't know about prayer but it seems like you are releasing them from the obligation you hold them in, to be the people they are for you.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    The purpose of this meditation is to increase your own feelings of love, not to directly benefit the people you are meditating on. Though, of course, if your love increases, you're going to try to benefit them more.