Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Good Day

emmakemmak Veteran
edited August 2005 in General Banter
After months of deliberation, I have resigned from my job. I realised that it is far more important to be at home with my daughter than succumbing to the consumer society that we live in. I have reevaluated my wants and my needs. I feel very at ease all of a sudden.
:cheer:

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Well, I am happy for you. Good luck with it! :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Congratulations. I won't say it's going to be an easy path ahead of you, but stepping out of the rat race to consume and get more stuff can really be an uplifting experience.

Have a great day today! :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Congratulations, Carlia!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    You got some big balls Carlia. Good Luck, SUCKA!!!!
  • edited August 2005
    I am so happy for you, Carlia! I work part-time right now, but that is what I prefer. It gives me a good balance between time with my family and time for me to be successful. Once my daughter goes into Kindegarten, I will only work the hours that she is in school, and I am looking forward to that. Anyways, sorry - this post is about you, not ME! :) I am sure you are going to love all the time with your daughter! Congrats!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I was only part time but day care was costing me too much and it was not worth it. I have been reading a lot of anti-childcare stuff lately too and decided I did not want my child there. Like you Kim, once Bridie starts school I will return to work again. But hopefully I will have my massage qualification by then and will work from home. Yay. Mummies should be at home with their babies. It is so hard these days because everybody wants so much crap. And I mean crap. I want to go find some commune and live like a big hippy...
  • edited August 2005
    I know - we pay $200 a week for daycare. It is crazy. By the end of this year, we will not need my salary anymore to pay bills - YIPPEE!! I got pregnant WAY sooner than we had expected, but our goal was for me to stay at home after a baby. Well, since I got preggo too fast, we still had college loans, etc, etc that we needed to pay on, so I need to work part-time. But, everything except our house will be paid off when January 1st rolls around - we are so excited. But...regardless...now that I work part-time and see how much my daughter loves her school with all her little friends, and she learns so much there, I prefer to work part-time.

Best of luck to you - I am sure you and Bridie will love the time together! I just had 2 weeks of vacation with my daughter and I miss her terribly this week. :(
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited August 2005
    We pay over 1000/month to have 2 in day care. Luckily, florida has started a voluntary pre-K program, so starting next month, half of my 4 year old's tuition will be reimbursed by the state. It's still a heavy load to carry, though, but we've looked at all of our options, and with health care, etc, it makes sense for both of us to work. But hopefully, next year when my eldest starts kindergarden, I'll be able to convince my boss to let me work from home part time. I've almost obtained superstar status here, so it might be possible!
  • edited August 2005
    I am so glad that I can stay at home with our children. We had to cut back quite alot which I think is a good thing, but we are able to manage. Id love to live in a commune like a hippy unfortunatly my wife doesnt share the same view. The other night we were watching a television program and they were showing a family in a much less "developed" country. They had only what they needed to sustain life. My wife asked if I could immagine having to live like that and I told her I thought it would be great. She looked at me like I was crazy.
  • edited August 2005
    I would also love to live like that! Amish people do it! My husband would also like ot live like that, and our goal is to actually purchase a house on a few acres so that we can "sort of" live like that with our own garden, farm, etc. I can't wait! All of our friends already call us "hippies". :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Same here LOL! There is an Eco Village being built soon not far from us. It will be totally sustainable. I would love to live there! I reckon if more people simplified their way of life there would be so many less problems on so many levels - Social, environmental, economic.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    I know - we pay $200 a week for daycare. It is crazy. By the end of this year, we will not need my salary anymore to pay bills - YIPPEE!! I got pregnant WAY sooner than we had expected, but our goal was for me to stay at home after a baby. Well, since I got preggo too fast, we still had college loans, etc, etc that we needed to pay on, so I need to work part-time. But, everything except our house will be paid off when January 1st rolls around - we are so excited. But...regardless...now that I work part-time and see how much my daughter loves her school with all her little friends, and she learns so much there, I prefer to work part-time.

Best of luck to you - I am sure you and Bridie will love the time together! I just had 2 weeks of vacation with my daughter and I miss her terribly this week. :(

Why is that crazy? My wife works at a daycare and everyone is underpaid. People pay more for their car repairs and a lot of people have the attitude that child care is supposed to be cheap. I go to my wife's work and anyone can just walk in and start shooting up th eplace. They can walk in and kidnap a child. These workers are not trained to protect these children. I find that crazy. Nothing is locked. This is not me judging your parenting by the way. I just get frustrated when people talk about the safety of their children in terms of money. Sorry if I have offended anyone.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    You have not offended. The system is crazy though. In Aust our daycar workers ar low paid also. But in Aust it is generally cheaper to put your children in care if you do NOT work. I know for a fact that many women who don't work get childcare a lot cheaper than me. It is a really bad system when women are encourahed to 'stay at home with their kids', but here, have some cheap daycare while you stay home and relax!
    Sorry if I have offended anyone....
  • edited August 2005
    Comic - I agree wholeheartedly that daycare teachers are WAY underpaid. That still doesn't change the fact that paying $800 a month is just darn expensive. All teachers are terribly underpaid. I have to say that I am surprised that anyone can just walk into your wife's school - the one we send our daughter to is locked and once you get in with the code, the Directors office is right at the door and someone is always in there seeing who comes and goes. I was not talking about my daughters safety in terms of money - you can't put a price on safety. I was basically commenting on the fact that daycare was so expensive - nor would I ever expect it to be CHEAP, because you get what you pay for! I could find a much cheaper place, or hire someone to watch Emma at home, but I prefer to pay more to get the things my daughters school offers. I think you read too much into me saying "it is crazy". My point is only that daycare is expensive for anyone.