Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yay! Thank you Brian!

edited October 2009 in NewBuddhist.com
Thanks big-time Brian for the username change!!!

Almost 4 years ago I started "Looking For Answers" and I haven't found them all, or many for that matter, I felt like a name change was in order as things have progressed for me on this path. As mentioned in another post, one asking about dharma names, I recently received a dharma name hence the reason for this username change. I felt it was fitting, Brian willing, to have it changed on the forum. So from now on, I am going to use the name given to me, at least here and other places on the net.

Again, thank you Brian!!!!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so now, you haveta share, right....?
    tell us whatever you can about your empowerment....
    if you'd like to......:)
  • edited October 2009
    it's cheating, but I am just gonna paste the little write up I did about it for my blog.... hehe...

Yesterday (10/26) I was lucky enough to have been invited to a teaching/ empowerment at Kind Yoga School. The teaching was led by Lama Migmar Tseten and the empowerment was the Green Tara Initiation. I came away from the teaching renewed and with a new base for practice.

The teaching was held at the Kind Yoga School, inside of the Cape Codder Resort in Hyannis. I got there by the skin of my teeth. Earlier in the day my brother Andre had come by to help me replace the brake pads in my van (thanks again Andre). It was a success, kind of. The new pads got in, I went to the store to put new brake fluid in on the way to the teaching. On my way the brakes decided they really didn’t want to work so well. I figured they just need to be pumped a few more times, and they seemed ok. I got to the Cape Codder in just enough time.

The teaching was running a couple minutes behind, and they were still setting stuff up. People were still trickling in, so I wasn’t cutting it as short as I thought. I set up my cushions in the front, as close as I could (geekin’ out at the experience to come of course). Things got underway shortly after, with many people in the audience by now.

Lama Migmar’s English is perfectly understandable, some Tibetans have a very thick accent still and it can sometimes be a bit difficult to listen to. His teaching was profound, and the explanations for visualizing different aspects of the meditation were very clear.

I was very excited to learn that after the ceremony for taking refuge, we would be given dharma names. Yes, I know, non-attachment and all that jazz, but it was still a bit exciting and I think having been named it will give me another point/ reminder in my practice. I was named Kunga Tashi, not completely clear on the meaning but I did hear Lama say something about it being auspicious.

During this ceremony it was also the first time I had some of my hair cut off. I normally shave my head, which I had done about a week ago so not much hair had grown back since. He chuckled and made a joke that I was all ready for him, I had come prepared. I thought it was funny too, being as short as it was he had a time trying to grasp onto a bit to cut, hehe.

Anyone who has sat in on an empowerment knows, you are given many instructions. We were given meditation instruction and a mantra to help in our practice. I am confident that this new direction will give me a stronger base and will help propel my practice into something more.

All in all it was a profound experience, something I will always keep with me. I am thankful, and grateful that I have met, Diane Kovanda of Kind Yoga who put this event together. Thank you Diane and thank you Lama Migmar for travelling to the Cape to give us all this teaching.

ps. The brakes are still shot, was not a fun ride home!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Neat!

I'm glad you had a good day!
    I guess it was auspicious....Can you imagine how you would have felt, if you'd been pulled over by the cops for having dodgy brakes...? :eek:

Well done, congratulations to you!
  • edited October 2009
    NO kidding... luckily they have been fixed since then! :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Best wishes, Kunga Tashi!

What a winning story!

Congratulations on the auspicious beginning.

Years from now you will surely remember the brake problems and you will laugh and laugh!

May you always be Happy and a Blessing to those you encounter!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2009
    One could argue that the faulty brakes was a metaphor for not "putting brakes on" to your path of buddhist education...
  • edited October 2009
    if only it were a metaphor Xray, hehe! Although looking back it could have been... didn;t feel like it on the slick rainy roads but either way! :)

good to hear from you, it's been a while!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Congrats, Kunga Tashi! I'm so happy for you!
    I love the new name. Can I call you Kunga?
  • edited October 2009
    thanks Brigid! :)

How have you been? I haven't been around for a bit...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Things have been grand!

Life is sweet with all its opportunities to practice Dhamma and I've been immersing myself in it as much as I can.

Another fantastic thing is that Ayya Medhanandi, a Theravadan nun, has established a Hermitage for women in Perth, Ont. which is only a few hours away from me. I can't wait to visit! I've been wishing for something like this for years and now it's happened. I'm filled with gratitude and that's a wonderful feeling and perspective through which to see the world.

Life is sweet.

It's so good to hear how you've been developing your practice, Kunga. You've advanced a lot since we last heard from you, haven't you? What a joy it is to hear of your success!

As always, I'm sending you and your family my deepest wishes for peace and joy today and every day.

Warmly,
    Boo