Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How was your day?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Just a normal day. I'm lucky enough to work from home, so I spent the majority of the day on the computer doing photoshop work. My husband (6 months now :)) and I are photographers, and my time revolves around editing pictures all day long. I spent the rest of my free time reading up on some Buddhist literature. I was really really hoping to do some yoga and try meditating for the first time (told ya I was new to this :o) but some last minute work got in the way. Keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow, I'll give it another shot!

Oh, and I made macaroni and cheese and cookies today! You can call me Susie Homemaker :rolleyesc:lol: Oh, the life of a 22 year old.
  • edited November 2009
    I haven't been sleeping, so im having a tired day.
    Ive had so many nights sitting up watching my darling Katie, i thought now that she has gone i would sleep, but i havent.
    With no hamster to 'spy on' im sitting there thinking about her :bawling:

Holly hamster won't let me spy on her, i know exactly where she'd tell me to go if i shone a torch in her cage :eek:
  • edited January 2010
    Well, My day is really good...A person to whom I had lend some money more than a year back, came and returned it today...quite surprising...
  • edited January 2010
    I just wanted to start a thread for talking. Aside from my wife I don't get to talk much about my experiences day in and day out as a buddhist, and how it changes my perspectives. This is a place where there is a lot of threads about specific things, so I thought I would make a thread that is the opposite of that.

So, have a seat with your friends! Whats on your mind today?
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Nothing, sorry :-/
  • edited January 2010
    Oh, Is this chai tea? That's my favorite.
    You are right about it changing perspectives. I'm in my senior year of high school, and just last aweek a kid stole a chair from my lunch table. None of my friends needed it but they were all angry with the kid.
    When I wasn't they were shocked...
    It seems like it takes alot more to tick me off lately.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the tea BTW :D
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Whats on your mind today?

Well, being British we generally start off with talking about our weather and given our changeable climate we usually have plenty to say! Its ruddy freezing here in the UK and a few weeks of snow has ground the country to a halt. Airports are closed, we're running out of grit for the roads, and the kids are off school and loving the extended holiday break.

Me? I'm a self-employed tradesman and can't work due to the weather; not that I'm soft; its just impossible, so I'm using the time to relax with the family and read about Buddhism.

I've just started on Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's The New Meditation Handbook, and its good to have something to structure my 'education'. I do plan on getting a 'teacher' when I know how; since one hasn't appeared yet! :D

So how what's on your mind?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I woke up this morning and did some walking meditation which was kind of interesting in that I was reflecting on how 'this is it'. In other words I've been meditating for 10 years now and I thought something exciting and mystical would have happened by now :p But its still just laps around the room. I have some interesting body tensions quite often probably related to being a schizophrenic person.

I have some cleaning to do. Laundry and work clearing some things from one area of the basement floor to another. In order to spray a sealant. We just had new tiles put in.

I also want to do some transcription of a dharma talk. I will probably listen for a bit. It is on the logong teachings which are mind purification teachings. I am out of practice listening to talks and I usually lose focus after about 5 minutes. But slowly I am becoming familiar with the talk. Next step is to use transcribing software (stop start buttons) to set down the text exactly.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »

I also want to do some transcription of a dharma talk. I will probably listen for a bit. It is on the logong teachings which are mind purification teachings. I am out of practice listening to talks and I usually lose focus after about 5 minutes. But slowly I am becoming familiar with the talk. Next step is to use transcribing software (stop start buttons) to set down the text exactly.

I started doing this just for my own use with one dharma talk, and I have also participated in a couple small translation projects. I found that it is a great way to understand the essence of the teachings in a point by point way. Yes, it can be very easy to become distracted these days isn't it?
  • edited January 2010
    When I was driving back to MN for the xmas holiday season, I had a feeling of sadness and despair approaching me. Instead of letting it attach to me, I was mindful of why it was happening, remembered that I can choose how I let certain situations affect me, and let it pass by. I felt that was a nice little breakthrough for myself.
    I attended a sangha for the first time last night. http://www.bodhimarga.org/ It was very interesting. Ven. Tenzin Priyadarshi is the teacher, and he seems very wise and kind. I think I will attend a few more times before deciding if it is a good fit for me.

namaste,
    brian
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What is on my mind today is the loss of one of our beloved anis (nuns) early this morning. She had heart surgery for a leaky valve Monday, and afterwards they just couldn't get her vitals stablized. She was in her 80s, so that's not particularly surprising. They operated on her yesterday to see what the problem was, and they found that her heart was not perusing the organs sufficiently. They had to take out some of her intestines that had actually died because of insufficient blood. But they adjusted her medications, and her heart responded. Unfortunately though, her body had sustained too much damage, and she passed away early this morning. We will all miss her terribly, but we also know that she has been well taken care of.

She was a great dancer in her younger days, so I wrote her a little goodbye haiku:

DANCER IN THE DHARMADHATU

Free of earthly bonds,
    Rising from her lotus seat,
    A perfect grand jeté!
    Palzang
    edited January 2010
    That's a nice little goodbye :o
    Where I live it's been snowing for weeks! It's been great off school! :D I've been spending the time watching telly, reading, and what I'm doing now, (I'm lazy) :o
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Get a job! :D

We had one big snow storm (on a weekend) and several minor dustings here, so it hasn't been too bad generally. No ice storms, which are the worst!

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Where's Maryland?

Does it have cookie trees?
  • edited January 2010
    I like tea. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I merged letsgodowntherabbithole's thread ("Have a seat, would you care for tea?") with this one, because at least, it has the same theme.

Thanks, LGDTRH, how about a cuppa for yourself? :)
    edited January 2010
    Interesting... Thankyou on behalf of everybody :)
    My bunny rabbit died yesterday so I wasn't very happy, but I had a good day to day :)
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    What is on my mind today is the loss of one of our beloved anis (nuns) early this morning. She had heart surgery for a leaky valve Monday, and afterwards they just couldn't get her vitals stablized. She was in her 80s, so that's not particularly surprising. They operated on her yesterday to see what the problem was, and they found that her heart was not perusing the organs sufficiently. They had to take out some of her intestines that had actually died because of insufficient blood. But they adjusted her medications, and her heart responded. Unfortunately though, her body had sustained too much damage, and she passed away early this morning. We will all miss her terribly, but we also know that she has been well taken care of.

She was a great dancer in her younger days, so I wrote her a little goodbye haiku:

DANCER IN THE DHARMADHATU

Free of earthly bonds,
    Rising from her lotus seat,
    A perfect grand jeté!

Palzang

I hope you the best right now. Its always monumental to lose friends and loved ones, my respects.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Me too, sorry for your loss, Palzang. Nice haiku too.
    edited January 2010
    My respects :om:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I had some terrible anxiety. Not sure what caused it but it sounded just as in the lojong teaching dharma talk. Ordinary annoyance became a huge struggle against a hardened outer world that was kicking my ass. Closing in even my body felt awful. So it was like being stuck in the in breath of tonglen. Tonglen is the practice of taking and sending. Sending relief and happiness to all beings and then switching to noticing the discomforts and hurt and breathing those in on the in breath. It is hard to switch back and forth I think I may have to practice with one or the other for a while. Also practice the swtiching, but I am not able to do it with each breath yet.

I took a medication that makes you feel kind of sleepy and now I am feeling fairly relaxed with some sweet moments of wonderful blissful relief.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Where's Maryland?
    Does it have cookie trees?

Good lord, don't they teach you anything in British schools?! :p

Maryland is on the east coast of the US and is the center of the world. We surround Washington, DC on three sides (he he). There are loads of cookie trees, of course. The flying pigs feed off them constantly.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    My bunny rabbit died yesterday so I wasn't very happy, but I had a good day to day :)

Sorry about your bunny. But death is always a good teaching on impermanence.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    I love flying pigs and cookies :p I'll have to visit some time :D
    I felt better when Minty died because she was out of pain and, according to the test she's an alligator at the minute LOL
    Joe
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, come on over. We can do lunch with Obama - and a couple of flying pigs! :lol:

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    That would be nice, not anytime soon though because I'm off to live with some Vampires in North Africa next week, I'm looking after Polar Bears there ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Hahaha, this is an odd thread.

How was my day? In one word- MINE :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Why odd? You mean you don't have flying pigs around your place? Or polar bears?!

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    They'll be saying the sky aint pink next... :rolleyes:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I know. What planet do these people live on anyway?

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Earth probobly...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Oh yeah, I've heard of that place. Pretty dreadful, by all accounts.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Good lord, don't they teach you anything in British schools?! :p

Maryland is on the east coast of the US and is the center of the world. We surround Washington, DC on three sides (he he). There are loads of cookie trees, of course. The flying pigs feed off them constantly.

Palzang

I like Maryland. I get up there on business about once a year. . . but have never seen the cookie trees. Please point me to the nearest cookie trees coming out of BWI. Cookies are very important in my life and travels. :D
    edited January 2010
    In England we have berry trees (I like berries but usually the only ripe ones are poisonous LOL) :-/
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    solowriter wrote: »
    I like Maryland. I get up there on business about once a year. . . but have never seen the cookie trees. Please point me to the nearest cookie trees coming out of BWI. Cookies are very important in my life and travels. :D

Sorry, if you don't have the karma to see them, you can't see them. :(

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    To see them you must loose your very mind as you know it... :p
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Sorry, if you don't have the karma to see them, you can't see them. :(

Palzang

Well, now that's hardly fair!

:::heading to the mall to get some better karma:::
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Wal-Mart is having a special this week...

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    In England I call super-markets Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda ecetera :p
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Not sure when it will happen, but when my partner and I finally make it to England, I will keep that info handy! Thank you.
    edited January 2010
    You welcome, how's the weather in the little dot in the universe where you live anyhow? :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    P.S. Feel free to ask me about anything :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hey, Joe, can you explain anything? Well, you said ask about anything!

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    I meant about England but... Well go ahead, I'll try my best :D
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    P.S. Oh yeah, and that is a fact :-/
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    P.S. Oh yeah, and that is a fact :-/

What is? Ya lost me...

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    That I'll attempt to answer any question ya can throw at me, 'coz I'm clever ;)

Because atleast us English didn't FAKE landing on ze Mooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????:lol:

Love, Peace, & Jokes!
    Joe :p
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Lol!!

Yer funny, Love!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Because atleast us English didn't FAKE landing on ze Mooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

That's because you limeys still think the earth is flat!

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    its' not flat?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Of course not. Actually it's an optical illusion...

Palzang