Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christmas fatigue

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Right you lot. I like a good get together/ celebration and Christmas has started to lose its shine since we started buying dancing santas in August.

What have i got to look forward to in Buddhism...are there some real humdinger festivals. Go on...whet my appetite (can you do calm excitement?)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    But....But....but......What's 'Christmas'.....? :hrm: :crazy: :D
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I don't know much about celebrations in Buddhism, but I think Christmas for me always sucked.
  • edited November 2009
    I go along with it so as not to upset others.
    Maybe it doesn't bother me, but i'm not going to deliberately spoil everyone elses time, that would be nasty i think.
    Card, presents and meals are fine (thats harmless and good spirited) but i do draw the line at being forced to attend any church matter though.
    Does anyone else do this? :confused:

Susie :)
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009
    blueface wrote: »
    What have i got to look forward to in Buddhism...are there some real humdinger festivals. Go on...whet my appetite (can you do calm excitement?)

Adventure, Excitement? A Buddhist craves not these things ;)
  • edited November 2009
    not1not2 wrote: »
    Adventure, Excitement? A Buddhist craves not these things ;)
    Can a buddhist crave chocolate yule log? :p
    edited November 2009
    Maybe it doesn't bother me, but i'm not going to deliberately spoil everyone elses time, that would be nasty i think.
    Card, presents and meals are fine (thats harmless and good spirited) but i do draw the line at being forced to attend any church matter though.
    Although my folks are catholic we never went to church in Christmas, only other occasions. Thinking about it they never went to church much. My problem with Christmas is that my family is too segregated and competitive. So basically people get together to "measure strength".
    edited November 2009
    In all seriousness, for the holidays we sit around and recite Buddhist prose such as the following:
    Investigate the various repugnant aspects of the body, beginning with the fact that the body is a conglomeration of all sorts of things. In other words, it's a burial ground, a national cemetery, filled with the corpses of cattle, pigs, ducks, chickens, sour, sweet, greasy, salty, gathered and aged in the stomach, filtered and distilled into blood, pus, decomposing and putrid, oozing throughout the body and coming out its various openings: this body, which all of us in the human race care for without ceasing — bathing it, scrubbing it, masking its smell — and even then its filth keeps displaying itself as ear wax, eye secretions, nasal drip, tooth tartar, skin-scruff and sweat, always oozing out, filthy in every way. What it comes from is filthy, where it stays is filthy (i.e., in a cemetery of fresh corpses, or even worse — we've probably buried hundreds of different kinds of corpses within ourselves). If you look at the human body, you'll see that its characteristics are ill-matched and incongruous. Its smell is something really offensive.
    :P
  • edited November 2009
    Namelessriver- Yes, i have to admit, it sometimes isnt the best of times.
    I think a lot of people actually suffer at christmas.
    Personally i have always found christmas hard, i try to enjoy it for other peoples benefit.
    Afterwards i find i feel incredibly low :sadc:
  • edited November 2009
    In all seriousness, for the holidays we sit around and recite Buddhist prose such as the following:

Is this BEFORE christmas dinner? ;)
    edited November 2009

Maybe you should spend the holiday with us and recite something about the grossness of food :P
    edited November 2009
    /sarcasm

for now
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited November 2009

That quote is great! We are the burial ground of corpses, what a wonderful antithesis.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I hate to tell you, but I have to agree with not1not2. Buddhist holidays are generally pretty dull affairs, party-wise. Mostly sitting around doing meritorious things like practicing because, in our tradition, all merit (or demerit, for that matter) is multiplied 10 million times on those days. So naturally the first question out of my mouth when I heard that was, does that mean if I do one prostration on one of those holidays that I've completed my ngondro requirement?

I should be so lucky...

As for Christmas, I've always liked Christmas, even when I was compelled to go to midnight church services on Christmas Eve - in Swedish! Which I didn't speak. It's not the same nowadays with no young ones around, who make it all worthwhile, and I miss the Swedish goodies at Christmas. Just can't find them around here living amongst the Philistines...

Palzang
    edited November 2009
    My guess is that when society is more agriculturally based, that after the fall everyone has counted their chickens. If they worked hard and did things right, there would be more than they need, so they would consume some of the fancy stuff in celebration. That would in a sense be a natural good thing, I think.

But now the late fall/winter holidays bear no relation to anything like it once did (at least where I live).

Still I would like to offer that family get togethers may be more important than you realize. The family structure is extremely supportive, even in most dysfunctional families. Sometimes it takes the loss of this structure to see how supportive it was.
    edited November 2009
    Perhaps you could try it as an exercise to try to more fully connect with your family at Christmas, to be present and loving and to see the deep connection simple goodness that exists there. Many people seem to open their hearts more at this time of year, so it may be easier than you think!

This applies to friends as too. I think.
    edited November 2009
    Perhaps you could try it as an exercise to try to more fully connect with your family at Christmas, to be present and loving and to see the deep connection simple goodness that exists there. Many people seem to open their hearts more at this time of year, so it may be easier than you think!
    There is normal pain that you sustain bravely, and there is excruciating pain that changes you inside. There is dysfunctional family that has a good, supportive, side (or a few supportive people), and there is a family that, when gets together, seems like a Lord of The Rings battle for the Middle Earth. Anger, hatred and ill-will breed more anger hatred and ill-will (almost literally). Groups of people tend to have distinct characteristics, and each family has their own characteristics too.

In my case, I rather just pull a "Galadriel" and hide in the woods ultil the war is over.
    edited November 2009
    If you want to observe the holidays in a more positive, yet authentically Buddhist way, than reciting the repulsiveness of nutriment, you could follow Thich Nhat Hanh's lead:
    o love, in the context of Buddhism, is above all to be there. But being there is not an easy thing. Some training is necessary, some practice. If you are not there, how can you love? Being there is very much an art, the art of meditation, because meditating is bringing your true presence to the here and now. The question that arises is: Do you have time to love?

I know a boy of twelve whose father asked him one day: "Son, what would you like for your birthday present?" The boy did not know how to answer his father, who was a very rich man, able to buy anything for his son. But the boy did not want anything except his father's presence. Because the role the father played kept him very busy, he did not have time to devote to his wife and children. Being rich is an obstacle to loving, When you are rich, you want to continue to be rich, and so you end up devoting all your time, all your energy in your daily life, to staying rich. If this father were to understand what true love is, he would do whatever is necessary to find time for his son and his wife.

The most precious gift you can give to the one you love is your true presence. What must we do to really be there? Those who have practiced Buddhist meditation know that meditating is above all being present: to yourself, to those you love, to life.
    http://www.beliefnet.com/Love-Family/Relationships/Holidays/Valentines-Day/Do-You-Have-Time-To-Love.aspx

We can also get in the general 'christmas' spirit by practicing the Buddhist virtue of 'dana':

http://ratnaghosa.fwbo.net/danatwo.html

and maybe even cultivate some loving-kindness:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/metta_b.htm
  • edited November 2009
    I don't celebrate christmas. Not out of any deep hatred or anything. People think I'm ebeneezer scrooge, or a hater because I don't celebrate any kind of holiday. I'm not a hater, I just don't celebrate holidays. :D
  • edited November 2009
    I'm not giving up that chocolate yule log for anybody. . . . .
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    There is normal pain that you sustain bravely, and there is excruciating pain that changes you inside. There is dysfunctional family that has a good, supportive, side (or a few supportive people), and there is a family that, when gets together, seems like a Lord of The Rings battle for the Middle Earth. Anger, hatred and ill-will breed more anger hatred and ill-will (almost literally). Groups of people tend to have distinct characteristics, and each family has their own characteristics too.

In my case, I rather just pull a "Galadriel" and hide in the woods ultil the war is over.
    Lol!! Wonderful post!
  • edited November 2009
    You lot crack me up.:lol:

It seems there are alot of opportunities at Christmas to express all the good stuff/buddha nature. I humbly suggest we rename the festival secretly and continue on as we were (without any dancing santas but with lashings of yule log).

Any good ideas for a name?
  • edited November 2009
    buddhamass?
  • edited November 2009
    Wonderful topic. In the past weeks, my husband (letsgodowntherabbithole) and I cranking the christmas music in the kitchen. I've always loved the holiday, but never really supported the "backstory."

I love the kindness that christmas brings out in others, it's a great time of year! Well.... except for the snow and ice :(
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009

How about, er, Yuletide?

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    Christmas seems to mean different things to different people. To some it is a religious festival, others a time for family and friends linked by 'christmas spirit' which is loosley based on Christian ideas of giving and such like, others a time for drinking the christmas spirit.

I think for me i like th idea of Christmas spirit, but i would like to enjoy those principles without the religious overtones. A new name would some up being 'christmassy' but not overindulgent or commercial.

I don't know what this little guy is for but i want to use him anyway...:woowoo:
    edited November 2009
    You lot crack me up.:lol:

It seems there are alot of opportunities at Christmas to express all the good stuff/buddha nature. I humbly suggest we rename the festival secretly and continue on as we were (without any dancing santas but with lashings of yule log).

How about Waarctlyk? We Are A Rotting Corpse That Loves You Kindly day.

:) Just don't tell aunt linda, or you won't get any of the marshmellow jello with mayonnaise and cool whip!
  • edited November 2009
    I knew you'd be up for it Palzang- are you going for a neutral take on it. (or is there buddhist stuff i don't know about linked to this idea?)
  • edited November 2009
    Simplify wrote: »

:) Just don't tell aunt linda, or you won't get any of the marshmellow jello with mayonnaise and cool whip!

:eek::D:eek:
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited November 2009

What has she got against zombies? If she really had the spirit of Christmas, she'd be offering us brains with mayonnaise and cool whip.

Here we come a wassailing among the leaves so green.
    We are rotting corpses who crave your thinking thing...

We all want some brainy pudding,
    And we want it right now!

God rest ye merry gentlemen
    May nothing you dismay.
    Not even hordes of undead
    That have risen up this day.

My favorite Waarctlyk carol is just the word "Brains!" sung over and over to the tune of Silent Night. It has a simple, austere lyric beauty.
    edited November 2009
    For those zombies that are health conscious, this food pyramid should help:

20070711zombies.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    :confused: Christmas.. I am confused. Am I allowed to 'do Christmas'?:(

not the religious bit obviously but the other parts. The bits that I have always done since I can remember.. family stuff, warm happy stuff. This year is a difficult Christmas for me, I recently lost my father and now am without either mother or father. I have moved away from Christianity towards Buddhism. I am apart from my partner because we have problems merging our families at present. So, all in all its all change this year. My children being aware of my loss are falling over themselves to make it a 'big do'.I want to grab it with both hands...I love Christmas it makes me feel like a big kid but then I am a Buddhist now and all the things it represents are not relevant. I want to do it in style for my children and for myself. I dont want it to be serious I want it to be fun. I want to sing and laugh and let go of all the stress and emotion I have had to hold in all year because I needed to stay brave and focused. Is that wrong? I dont know .

Christmas
    I dont like ..

the fact it starts in August.

bright red Santas and tired tinsel

Christmas Pudding

Christmas Cake

Baileys???? what the hell is that ??? A cold milky coffee in a wine bottle:eek:

Churches so full people are sitting in the aisle just there because its Christmas and it makes them feel good.

The Muppetts Christmas Carol

But I love , love , love

My family all together

The fire blazing

Silly games that no one understands and all the instructions are missing because they were brought ten years ago and have sat in the downstairs cupboard ever since.

Roast potatoes

The Great Escape

Peeling brussells in my party frock

Oh and um....yule log (but I am Vegan so thats sort of out of bounds now..I just look at it now and salivate)

What three things do you love about Christmas and what three do you hate?

Just interested..:rolleyes:
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hello All,
    I very much enjoy Christmas. The ability to share with others. For many though perhaps it is an unhappy time. Im already whistling and singing carols. My selfish desires such as they are are met with christ-stollen and Claxton fruitcake.

grackle
  • edited November 2009
    I think for me i like th idea of Christmas spirit, but i would like to enjoy those principles without the religious overtones.
    Thats exactly my idea too :)

*Here, have a slice of chocolate yule log*

How about 'Buddyule log festival'

(i'm sorry, i can't get chocolate off my mind. . . . . .)
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hey, of course you're allowed to "do" Christmas! Silly Buddhists...

By the way, we do have Bodhi Day on Dec. 8th. It commemorates Buddha's awakening beneath the Bodhi tree. It's a great day to celebrate, if you so choose. I always make sure everybody knows it's Bodhi Day, and try to do something a little special, just myself. It could be as simple as lighting incense and giving thanks. It would be a great day to plant a tree, or just spread a little spontaneous kindness and compassion. :-)
  • edited November 2009
    msmedusa wrote: »
    :confused: Christmas.. I am confused. Am I allowed to 'do Christmas'?:(

not the religious bit obviously but the other parts.

I love , love , love

My family all together

The fire blazing

Silly games that no one understands and all the instructions are missing because they were brought ten years ago and have sat in the downstairs cupboard ever since.

Roast potatoes

The Great Escape

Peeling brussells in my party frock

Oh and um....yule log (but I am Vegan so thats sort of out of bounds now..I just look at it now and salivate)

Just interested..:rolleyes:

I'm no expert but i don't see anything contradicting Buddhist ways in togetherness, joy, light heartedness or cake. Have a brilliant whynnnffnsdar or whatever the blazes we are calling it now. I love the stuff you love and intend to enjoy it. warm regards:buck:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Christmas/Yule/Winter Solstice resonates deep in the human psyche - even those who have desperately tried to insulate themselves in cities.

This is the darkest time of the year, the shortest day, the longest night, the time of story-telling and huddling (in the North at least) around the fire. It is the time when we most need to remind ourselves that, despite all appearance, Summer will come again.

We are so sure of ourselves and of our petty, local, recent and temporary certainties. For most of humanity's millennia we watched as the days shortened, unsure that it would no go on until we were lost in the dark. Then, joy of joys!, we notice (around what we now call 25 December), the days begin to lengthen again. It is as if the Sun is reborn, Sol Invictus.

Make no mistake: this is a time to celebrate, to draw close to those we love and to transform our negativities into positives. It is a time to recall that life is short and there may be little time left for any of us to amend what must be amended. It is a time to look back and to look forward.

Rejoice!
    edited November 2009
    I once heard Buddhist monks celebrating. I was in McLeodganj (the town where the Dalai Lama lives, I was there for completely non Buddhist reasons), and there was either a monastery or monk dormitory or something. The town's power was off (very common there), and I was listening to the monks making some kind of music with gongs. Right in the middle of a song the power came on and all the monks yelled, "Yay!".
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I once heard Buddhist monks celebrating. I was in McLeodganj (the town where the Dalai Lama lives, I was there for completely non Buddhist reasons), and there was either a monastery or monk dormitory or something. The town's power was off (very common there), and I was listening to the monks making some kind of music with gongs. Right in the middle of a song the power came on and all the monks yelled, "Yay!".

While I was in McLeodGanj, the power was off each evening from 7 till 9. Many evenings one or two of my monk friends would drop in to my guesthouse and celebrate the return of power - particularly if there was anything good on the TV.

P.S. Whatever non-Buddhist reason could there be to visit McLeod?