Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lost my text colours

edited December 2009 in NewBuddhist.com
Does anyone know why i can't use any colours for my text?
Its just happened suddenly, all my tyext is just grey now.
I noticed it when i wanted to do something in red and it wouldnt work.
Has anyone else noticed this? :confused:

Susie

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I imagine it has something to do with: http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3786

My signature turned completely black and won't allign to centre anymore, either. Although, everyone else's looks normal to me still (maybe not after I clear my cache)...

BOO. :rant::lol:

I think it's kind of silly to disable all of that over one post... when it hasn't been an issue the entire time the forum's been up. :(
  • edited November 2009
    The colours have actually been disabled?!!!!!
    Great :sadc:
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, it seems like a massive over-reaction to me, too. If someone wants to make their own posts difficult to read, what of it? Pugdala never caused disturbance at BuddhaChat, except for the fun we made of his typography...
  • edited November 2009
    So its been disabled because someone typed in yellow?

Really? That doesn't sound like enough.
    Its spoilt it for the rest of us :(

Who has disabled it?
  • edited November 2009
    I dont like it.
    Tis plain :(
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Maybe we could send the moderators a message to see if they might change their minds. If enough people want to use colours and so forth maybe it would override the negative aspects of it. I don't know what the negative aspects were mind you, but I can see the positive ones, like creativity and personal choice in ones communication and so forth. If there's something I don't know about though that would be a different matter.

What do you think?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I think...

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70936&postcount=36

^ It's Fivebells' fault; GET HIM emot-argh.gif
    edited November 2009
    I take full responsibility for all problems. :)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I literally see only white text on a black background. From my viewpoint, it doesn't matter whether you color your text or not. It's still white text on a black background.

The formatting tags in HTML are only suggestions. Once the data reaches someone else's computer, they can do anything they want with it. If this causes problems, see 5B's post immediately prior to this one.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    If this causes problems, see 5B's post immediately prior to this one.

*looks at Fivebells* seewhatididthere.png
    edited November 2009
    I will fix the problems as soon as Lincoln gives me root privileges on the New Buddhist server. :)
    edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    I will fix the problems as soon as Lincoln gives me root privileges on the New Buddhist server. :)
    The administratively responsible thing to do would be to add the following line to the sudoers file.

fivebells newbuddistserver = /usr/local/bin/omnipotence

Giving you full root privileges would just be giving you more power than you really need.

Lincoln could also give you access to the omniscience binary, but realistically, who wastes time with knowledge when they've got power?
  • edited November 2009
    Stares at fivebells :sadc:

*prepares the hamster troops, loading hazelnut cannons. . . . . *
    edited November 2009
    While I'm not backing away from my full personal responsibility for all problems, I just want to clarify my role in this. By the time posted that comment which Mundus linked to, Lincoln had already disabled color typography. In fact, that flashing "pugdala2" was meant to be multicolored. It was a test of the color functionality. What I was complaining about in that post was the fact that the text entry box at the bottom of every thread still promises to provide color typography. I was saying that if Lincoln wants to disable rendering of colors in the presentation of posts, he should remove that promise from the text entry interface.

However, as I said, I take responsibility for all problems. I wonder why you are staring at me over this typographical issue, when you could be staring at me over cancer, the war in the Sudan, or the likelihood that global warming will cause massive international disruption over the next three decades. :)
  • edited November 2009
    QUIET!

Prepare for the first hazelnut attack. . . . . . .
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I think we're attributing the change too much to the final catalyst (the guy who couldn't help but use yellow everywhere) rather than the real cause: there's no reason to have rainbow colors on a discussion forum.

It's hard to read things online even for people with perfect vision and a nice monitor. Now consider that a significant number of people don't have those luxuries, and there are too many different visual impairments related to color to name in this post.

Centering words, making them pretty rainbow colors, and using crazy fonts isn't how you express your personality online. You express yourself through words. Dressing up your words doesn't change what you're saying. At best, people think it's cute. Frequently, people find it annoying. At worst, it makes people unable to read it at all or exert extra effort to decode it (like highlighting the text or copy/pasting into another program).

I don't want that. I don't want extra effort, people squinting at their monitor, or visual games to be played. It's a discussion forum, not a piece of artwork. What facilitates discussion best is to make sure everyone's posts are clear and legible, not to allow everyone to "express themselves" with all the colors and fonts they can shake a stick at.

I understand some of you spent time crafting pretty signatures and putting time into cleverly formatted posts. I'm truly sorry if that time was wasted because I didn't announce the change beforehand. It wasn't my intention to offend or ruin your work.

This is something I've intended to do for quite some time, but vBulletin makes it exceptionally difficult to implement. Merely disabling the colors in the control panel causes all the [ COLOR ] tags to display in the posts, making it even worse. I had to hack the core forum files to make it "silenty die" instead of ruining posts with those tags everywhere. It was a pain to figure it out, hence why I needed a final catalyst to inspire me to put in the work to do it.

I'd love to remove it from the interface as well to remove "the promise" of color as fivebells noted, but given that I hope to have us on a new forum software package by February I'm reluctant to figure out how to hack that button out too. That usability problem pales in comparison to most of the problems I've identified in vBulletin, frankly.

I apologize for the abruptness; I know better than to make changes like that. My frustration got the better of me.
  • edited November 2009
    <span style="color: #ff0000;">whoops!</span>

Hehe okay okay I'm sorry I won't do it again.... I promise to be a good boy.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    <span style="color: #ff0000;">whoops!</span>
    This is what I get for allowing HTML. :buck:
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009
    :(
    Oh well, hopefully the hazelnut canons will sort it out... :)

You are violent lately Susie ;)
  • edited November 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    :(
    Oh well, hopefully the hazelnut canons will sort it out... :)

You are violent lately Susie ;)
    Hamster war is different. Sometimes you just have to fight for things like coloured text, the orange cream in revels, and ribena :hrm:
    edited November 2009
    Susie you are HILARIOUS! :D
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2009
    All of you nectar-seeking lovers of colors are cwazy, I think!

But you no doubt make the drab world a better place.

We'll all get used to this soon enough, but I miss the green the most.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    (. . .)
    I apologize for the abruptness; I know better than to make changes like that. My frustration got the better of me.

Can we not therefore - as with all things - find a middle ground?
    Allow one colour.
    Allow a different font.
    You express yourself through words.

Of course.... but in speech, we have inflection, gesture, facial expression and mannerism.
    Dressing up your words doesn't change what you're saying.
    No, for sure, but it's the only way we have, to add inflection, gesture, facial expression and mannerism.
    deprived and devoid of the mediums available in F2F engagement, there is precious little other way to express our intention and mood.
    That's why such measures were technically introduced in the first place. otherwise, we might as well resort to e-mail and word-processors again....
    Though I agree, we should all be modest in our usage and guarded in our possible excesses.....

Just a comment. (shrugs, in pink.)
    edited December 2009
    The solution which occurred to me would be to just deny the markups to the worst offender. (Who seems to have been driven away by this intervention, anyway. I kind of wonder at the value of that trade.)
    edited December 2009
    Who, may I ask, has been driven away?
    edited December 2009
    edited December 2009
    federica wrote: »
    No, for sure, but it's the only way we have, to add inflection, gesture, facial expression and mannerism.
    deprived and devoid of the mediums available in F2F engagement, there is precious little other way to express our intention and mood.
    I can only speak for myself, but colors and fonts don't convey inflection, gesture, facial expression, mannerism, or emotion. And aside from the happy, sad, and joke smilies, icons convey no information, at least to me. Once you get past three or four basic ones, it's too hard to remember what they're supposed to mean.
    That's why such measures were technically introduced in the first place.
    The fact that they were introduced to solve a problem doesn't mean that they solved it. For me, they don't express anything and make posts harder to read.
    Just a comment. (shrugs, in pink.)
    I know what a shrug is. I don't know what a pink shrug is. :-)

Lincoln's changes strike me as sensible. It's too bad that the forum lost a poster. Leaving because posts stopped displaying color doesn't seem to me to be something a reasonable person would do.

As I've said before, colors don't display in my browser. Neither do fonts or icons. Obviously, any changes Lincoln makes aren't going to affect what I see, so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just pointing out that people who rely on color, fonts, and icons for communication seem to me to be communicating much less than they think they are.
    edited December 2009
    Who'd leave because of colours LOL
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Along with the loss of colors, have we not also lost the ability to center our text?
    edited December 2009
    I don't know what you mean?:)
    edited December 2009
    Oh right... I tried to center that text... :(