Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shin Buddhism

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Not sure if I am posting this in the right section. I have a Buddhist Church in the town that I live in. Can someone enlighten me on Shin Buddhism? I will be giving them a call to talk with them to see if this is the place for me. Yes I am new to Buddhism although I have read a book or two several years ago and over the last two years I keep coming back to wanting to learn Buddhism. I am at a point in my life that it is just right so I will be jumping in head first. Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited July 2009
    No idea, I'm afraid. Chinese / Japanese Buddhism is my weak point. Sorry.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Dear Zenshin,
    Both Jodo-shin-shu and jodo-shu are refered to as devotional schools. They rely on Amidas 48 vows. The former is entirely lay. The latter both lay and monastic. The latter is quite close to Chinese Pureland. Devotional schools rely on other power rather than self power. Devotional practice often sees deceptively simple. But its not.

grackle
  • edited December 2009
    I'm becoming increasingly drawn towards Amida in my private reflections. The proactive thing about the Pure Land Doctrine (especially as taught by Shinran-a veritable Luther of Buddhism) is that the Dharma is not best reached by doing x and y, because this 'doing' is a manifestation of 'self-power' (the calculating and doubting ego). In order to find true contentment we must realise that we can't do this 'great work'. We must accept where we 'are' and not try to force change. If we wish to come to the refuage of the Buddha (and by extension his Dharma) we must entrust ourselves to Amida's compassion, not our own effort. To borrow some Christian language by recognising our fallibility we receive a deepening 'grace' which brings us closer to enlightenment.
  • edited December 2009
    namu amida butsu, that's good, i like that.
  • edited December 2009
    To: Summeroflove85,

This Amida's compassion sounds very much like the Christian faith in Christ or the Creator God, where once relies with faith on them and then be born in the kingdom of heaven. It there then any difference in this buddhist practice and that of Christianity? The ultimate purpose is to be born near to God, in a land of peace and happiness.
  • edited December 2009
    I've been reflecting upon these similarities very hard over the last few days. It could be that Amida (meaning infinite light) is that same rapturous illumination which John's Gospel calls-'the true light that enlightens every person by his coming into the world' I]John 1:9[/I. If the sun is reflected in a mirror and then in a lake, we don't say that there are two suns; we say that it is the same sun, but that the light is being reflected off different surfaces. Maybe it is he same with Amida and Jesus. Afterall Shinran says,

Amida existing from the eternal past,
    Pitying the common fools in the world of the five diflements,
    Appeared in the Castle of Gaya,
    Manifesting Himself as
    Shakyamuni Buddha.

Perhaps Amida manifests in other ways as well? The big difference however between the Pure Land understanding of Amida and the conventional Christian understanding of salvation is that while most Christians see Heaven as their ultimate goal, on the other hand Jodo-shin-shu sees the Pure Land as a preparation for enlightenment, not enlightenment itself. Also, while those who practice Shin seek and hope for Amida's Pure Land, there is no sense that those who do not believe in Amida risk time in hell. Although I fully accept that many Christians don't accept eternal damnation, these Christians set themselves against a tradition which historically does. Hell is noticeably absent in he writings of Shinran.
  • edited December 2009
    Summeroflove85,
    Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, -- this thing that is for "preparation to enlightenment" is very possible. After all, Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha and others (including the Buddha) teaches according to each capacity and ripeness for the Buddhist teachings. So perhaps, Christinity and other religions are just another expedience to "prepare for enlightenment".

Those who did not or cannot meet with the Buddha's teachings may have missed the boat, but certainly they did not lose sight of the harbour that have many other boats to carry them across to the other shore eventually.

So, really Amida or Christ or Mohammed - they do not matter. Just our personal affinity with each that's matter.

Finally, you and I have met the Buddha's teachings of Amida as well - that is good!
  • edited December 2009
    Although I fully accept that many Christians don't accept eternal damnation, these Christians set themselves against a tradition which historically does. Hell is noticeably absent in he writings of Shinran.

btw - there is no support for a beleif in eternal damnation in hell to be found in the christian bible. Christ didnt say that those who didnt follow him would go to hell, and the main point of him dying on the cross for human sins, was to make a passege way for all humans to go to heaven.
    Christians who beleive in hell (and i know there is alot of them) are misinformed, and wont find support for that beleif in the bible.

Much love

Allan
  • Is there an exception to the 6th through 8th Precepts? I'd like very much to follow them in addition to the first five that all Shin Buddhists follow but I love music. I see it as an extension of ourselves, our spirits and our collective unconsciousness or the universal unconscious if you will. Also, since I have a disability and life commitments [school, etc...] I must eat after noon and into the evening. May I, in this instance abstain from eating excessive meals? Just some thoughts which trouble me.

Thanks in Advance,
    Phil