Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist's new bill of health

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited January 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
NewBuddhist hit a bit of a nadir a year ago; we had very few members online day-to-day and Brian and I made very rare appearances. I'm happy to say that, a year later, NewBuddhist has made a full recovery and I'm delighted to see all the activity lately. Thanks for sticking with us :D

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    The death of buddhachat was your gain. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Whatever happened to Buddhachat, anyway? That was the first Buddhist message board I ever joined, and then one day it was just gone... :(
    edited October 2009
    Some NKT folks with massive persecution complexes (seems to be a common neurosis, for NKT practitioners) made vague litigious threats, because their feelings were hurt by some remarks there, and they scared off the owner, who had since abandoned Buddhism, anyway, and was more interested in raising his new family than in dealing with internet crazies for free. He wanted out, and wasn't interested in transferring ownership of the site, though several people offered to take over the costs and administration and legal risks. The whole thing would have been funny if it hadn't been so destructive.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    The death of buddhachat was your gain. :)
    While we do have a few new members from there, I wouldn't attribute long-term growth to a single event that occurred in the middle of it.
    edited October 2009
    I know. :)
  • edited October 2009
    I just wanted to say i love this message board :) Thank you all for providing me with interesting thoughts and reads everyday :D
  • edited October 2009
    Jackus wrote: »
    I just wanted to say i love this message board :) Thank you all for providing me with interesting thoughts and reads everyday :D

Word.

~nomad
  • edited October 2009
    LOL i came from Buddha chat hahahahha
    seriously the ONLY ONLY reason i came here cause they shut down and I looked for another sangha :D
  • edited October 2009
    however my experience here , has been ridiculously superior to buddhachat.com :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    The great thing about it is, that just like a river, it's never the same river twice.....
    Flow, guys, and keep flowing. :thumbsup:

:om:
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    NewBuddhist hit a bit of a nadir a year ago; we had very few members online day-to-day and Brian and I made very rare appearances. I'm happy to say that, a year later, NewBuddhist has made a full recovery and I'm delighted to see all the activity lately. Thanks for sticking with us :D

Well, speaking for myself, Ypip attracted me back here a second time and looking back in, I find this site, and its administrators/leaders a breath of fresh air.

Spacious, unassuming and definitely a place I respect with thoughtful contributors and a safe, supportive environment.

All kudos to the team and its participants, and respect to all whom participate and build this site to what it is - a little home for Buddhist discussions.

Metta,

Bo
  • edited October 2009
    You've done well!
  • edited October 2009
    YAY!
    :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
  • edited October 2009
    Well, speaking for myself, Ypip attracted me back here a second time and looking back in, I find this site, and its administrators/leaders a breath of fresh air.

Spacious, unassuming and definitely a place I respect with thoughtful contributors and a safe, supportive environment.

All kudos to the team and its participants, and respect to all whom participate and build this site to what it is - a little home for Buddhist discussions.

Metta,

Bo

I agree. A big hearted forum where I feel safe to be myself !!!:thumbsup: Thanks
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2009
    hi everyone , I am a buddhachat refugee also, and the lovely buddhist forum where I have been ( a lot recently) has also now had to close, so looking for a new place to hang out - from the discussions and threads have seen today, and a familar " face or too " thought I would join to say hello :)
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Andy. Did we know each other at Buddhachat?
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2009
    hi fivebells, you are testing my memory now !! Maybe you can tell me?! - I had the same username , think I recall your pic ...
    edited November 2009
    Ah, no worries. :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Some NKT folks...
    These folks are actually members of this site.

What shall we do? :eek:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2009

In my experience, we welcome all as friends unless and until they prove themselves otherwise.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2009
    we welcome all as friends unless and until they prove themselves otherwise.
    Indeed!
    What shall we do?
    Luckily, I'm better at the Internet than I am at Buddhism. :lol:
  • edited November 2009
    Hi, Andy. Did we know each other at Buddhachat?
    Your username and avatar seem familiar to me... I believe I remember you. Do you recall a 'jmeeter' over at BC?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010

Be scared be very scared they eat babies for breakfast :eek:
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Be scared be very scared they eat babies for breakfast :eek:

I vowed not to kill sentient beings. I eat only full grown doughnuts. LOL :)

Not sure what the anti-NKT rant was all about or why you are still angry, fivebells ? Quote: ''Some NKT folks with massive persecution complexes (seems to be a common neurosis, for NKT practitioners) made vague litigious threats''. Really? I read none.

Some members of BC were posting stuff for which they could have been prosecuted under dafamation laws. I warned some of them, and gave them chapter and verse on the legal position, so apparently I'm the demon. Weird logic. Nobody threatened anyone, but it was happening at a time when the NKT were looking for someone to prosecute in order to deter others, so my advice was genuinely meant to stop that happening.

Some people still don't understand that defamation applies to organisations as well as individuals, and if you publish lies which harm a company or charity, your forum anonimity does not protect you or the site owners from prosecution in any country where someone is able to read it. Every site owner and forum member needs to be aware of that IMHO.

I can publicly say that my time on BC was not my best moment, and can say with some certainty that others could also own up to the same.

BC was dead in the water once the owner took no interest in it for months on end and left Mods with no means of banning or even suspending members. By the time this was made possible, the owner (as you say) was no longer interested in continuing. I understood that it kept costing him more and more money to keep increasing the site bandwidth and that this was why he closed it all down. He may also, quite rightly, have been worried about being the publisher of a libel, but that stuation was true for a year or more, so I can't think it was the main reason.

In any case, the outcome has helped us find many new virtual 'homes' in this forum, BuddhaForum, Dhammawheel, Dharmawheel etc.

The demise of eSangha has also given a boost to these sites.

Ironically, outside of the BC bubble, former members on this site have co-existed and discussed harmoniously, which of itself is evidence that 'friends' become so because of our own attitudes rather than their actions.

Bringing all blame into one, it is the delusion of 'permanence' linked to 'self' which is behind regrets and recriminations. ;)

Time to move forwards in mutual support.
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    I vowed not to kill sentient beings. I eat only full grown doughnuts. LOL :)

Not sure what the anti-NKT rant was all about or why you are still angry, fivebells ? Quote: ''Some NKT folks with massive persecution complexes (seems to be a common neurosis, for NKT practitioners) made vague litigious threats''. Really? I read none.

Some members of BC were posting stuff for which they could have been prosecuted under dafamation laws. I warned some of them, and gave them chapter and verse on the legal position, so apparently I'm the demon. Weird logic. Nobody threatened anyone, but it was happening at a time when the NKT were looking for someone to prosecute in order to deter others, so my advice was genuinely meant to stop that happening.

Some people still don't understand that defamation applies to organisations as well as individuals, and if you publish lies which harm a company or charity, your forum anonimity does not protect you or the site owners from prosecution in any country where someone is able to read it. Every site owner and forum member needs to be aware of that IMHO.

I can publicly say that my time on BC was not my best moment, and can say with some certainty that others could also own up to the same.

BC was dead in the water once the owner took no interest in it for months on end and left Mods with no means of banning or even suspending members. By the time this was made possible, the owner (as you say) was no longer interested in continuing. I understood that it kept costing him more and more money to keep increasing the site bandwidth and that this was why he closed it all down. He may also, quite rightly, have been worried about being the publisher of a libel, but that stuation was true for a year or more, so I can't think it was the main reason.

In any case, the outcome has helped us find many new virtual 'homes' in this forum, BuddhaForum, Dhammawheel, Dharmawheel etc.

The demise of eSangha has also given a boost to these sites.

Ironically, outside of the BC bubble, former members on this site have co-existed and discussed harmoniously, which of itself is evidence that 'friends' become so because of our own attitudes rather than their actions.

Bringing all blame into one, it is the delusion of 'permanence' linked to 'self' which is behind regrets and recriminations. ;)

Time to move forwards in mutual support.

I think i should raise my hand and apologise for my time on there i was a very, very, naughty boy :eekblue:
    edited January 2010
    I appreciate the apology. (Assuming you're sincere. I can never tell what that emoticon is supposed to mean.)
    edited January 2010
    I appreciate the apology. (Assuming you're sincere. I can never tell what that emoticon is supposed to mean.)

Thats the shock emocon, although someone of a lesser disposition may mistake it for this.

200191796-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=4B58254881E9B7B881F2D9D047828C0949207362A3F24453

:lol:

Yes i regret my actions i made a fool of myself i have since moved on i dont claim to be perfect.