Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism, College & Laziness?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm an undergraduate in college who doesn't "enjoy" school. I understand that I need to get a degree so I can get a job so I can eat and live and give, but even with this motivation I find myself struggling to do any work for my classes because of my disinterest with the "conditioned" world and rigid structure. I was just wondering what Buddhism has to say about laziness and how to deal with it.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Maybe you just need a change of perspective. College is not to get you a job(although it is generally the end result) this is a very common misconception. College is there to help you become a more skillful thinker (I think Buddhism can help do that too.) Don't think of College as a task and part of getting a job as the end result (this surely isn't a very skillful Buddhist way) instead think of it as a journey to improve yourself (A skillful action from any perspective.)

As a Philosophy major I should know.
  • edited January 2010
    I concur with Inji-gyo.
    I am an undergrad as well and had similar difficulties. It wasn't that I didn't enjoi college.. it was more of a "I want to learn and read so many other things NOT required in ANY of my classes" lol. I was so interested subjects outside the classroom that I began struggling. Balance of positive and negative (very buddhist, eh ?) helped me.. What I mean by this is that every time I had to go to class or study, I would counter it with an activity (before or after) that satisfied my needs. For an example, reading a special book, working out, listening to music, meditating, etc. I realized that ignoring my studies was cutting myself short and that ultimately made me have a negative feeling. Perhaps, like Inji-gyo, find a major that you feel is beneficial or fascinating to you.

I sometimes ramble.. i.e. above ha. Hope anything I said was helpful (:
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I would actually disagree. To be honest, college isn't for everyone. Guidance counselors and modivational book authors like to claim that they are, and there is certainly an added pressure for it in today's society, but college isn't for everyone. Mechanics, construction workers, civil service workers, and pilots are just a few jobs that don't require college degrees, and pay good.

If you are having a problem with modavation, take some time off. Move to another part of the country and get started in one of these businesses. Become a plumbers assistant, or an electrician's assistant, see if you like it. If you enjoy working with your hands, do it. If after a year in the job market, if you think you want to go back to school, do it.

Most people enter college too early. I know I did. I got a college degree without really wanting one, but did it because everyone said I should. I spent the next year as a lifeguard/bartender. After a year, I decided I liked college more than I thought I did, so I went to grad school. It's funny how things like that work out. When you get older, your interests change.
  • edited January 2010
    I am currently in "videregående skole", the equalient of "high school" in america, and i am experiencing the same demotivation as you are.
    This partly comes from my choice of subjects (economics and leadership, gah) and next year i hope the lack of motivation goes away with new subjects such as media and communication and marketing.

Oh, and i also contemplated getting a degree in mechanics as i have worked as a car mechanic part time, which was really satisfying and interesting work.
  • edited January 2010
    Inji-gyo wrote: »
    Maybe you just need a change of perspective. College is not to get you a job(although it is generally the end result) this is a very common misconception. College is there to help you become a more skillful thinker (I think Buddhism can help do that too.) Don't think of College as a task and part of getting a job as the end result (this surely isn't a very skillful Buddhist way) instead think of it as a journey to improve yourself (A skillful action from any perspective.)

I couldn't disagree more. I don't know why else you would go to college unless you thought you could get a higher paying job. Just curious; what exactly do you plan on doing with a philosophy major?

I certainly wouldn't ever consider getting into $100,000 in debt to become a "better thinker." If you want to be a better thinker, go to the library, read some books, pay attention to the world, and be skeptical. You don't need overpaid tenured professors who have spent their lives in classrooms to teach you how to think about the world.

@ ravkes,

My advice to you is that if you don't feel motivated to be in college, then you shouldn't be in. If you're not really committed to finishing school, there's no reason to continue wasting money (or wasting your parents money depending on your situation). It's no judgment against you at all, but I just don't think everyone is meant to go to college. There's nothing dishonorable about a trade or a blue collar job.

I'm an undergrad myself specializing in Arabic mostly. I also work as a house painting manager during the summers. Working has taught me infinitely more and made me a "better thinker" than any meaningless, fluffy diversity or English class. I've learned valuable lessons about dealing with people, managing logistics and supplies, customer satisfaction, and lots of practical, mechanical skills. So I miss the job greatly when I'm stuck in school listening to professors babble on about their politics.

Just the other day, I was talking to a girl who routinely switches majors and who will be upwards of $80,000 in debt by the end of four years. Not much in the way of hope in finding a job afterwords. I'd be morbidly depressed if that were me. But then again, I'm a tightwad. I was raised by parents who grew up in poverty, and so I grew up with a Depression-era mentality. The very thought of owing money to anyone is a terrifying thought.

Anyway, my point is that if you go through all those years of school without ever having a practical, blue collar grunt job, then I think you do yourself a great disservice. It definitely cured me of residual laziness in high school.
  • edited January 2010
    Whereas specialkayme and Knight of Buddha make very good points and I agree with them as well.. I wouldn't always give up on your first shot at something. I think specialkayme gave lovely advice on 'finding yourself' and had great points. I am a firm believer that there are other opportunities and career paths outside of a university/college but perhaps, you have yet to find your niche ? Whatever that is, I wish you the best of luck in whichever path you take.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Just to clarify I go to an in-state university and I pay about 500-600 dollars a semester because of the fatty financial aid grants that I get, lol. So money isn't really the problem if it were I'd have never gone to school. It's more of an "Oh ok, I'm smart enough to understand that I have an opportunity to make my life easier with no debt after I graduate so how can I become less lazy".. I think this is just a reality check after my spiritual journey lol. It's time to apply my spirituality practically now. I'm sure a lot of people have had to do this. Thank you for your thoughts guys!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    ravkes wrote: »
    because of my disinterest with the "conditioned" world ....
    As opposed to what? What else do you have? No such thing as the Unconditioned World. Are you interested in an immaterial realm of attenuated bliss? Thats a condition too.

No escape:p.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I disagree with Knight of Buddha. I went to school with no intention of making more money as I had a great paying job and career (which I am still in more or less) even after graduating. I went to school to learn how to critically think better. I chose subjects that were challenging and interesting but I still got bored at times.

One valuable lesson I learned is that to graduate college you need to put in lot of hard work and dedication towards your goal. It is the same with Buddhism, martial arts, or becoming a master plumber. FYI, getting bored and learning how to do your work inspite of your boredom is an essential skill in order to just survive in the business world.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2010
    As opposed to what? What else do you have? No such thing as the Unconditioned World. Are you interested in an immaterial realm of attenuated bliss? Thats a condition too.

No escape:p.

lol you get what i mean, like the everyday bull we all have to go through haha. That's why buddhism is great because it's so practical.
  • edited January 2010
    I couldn't disagree more. I don't know why else you would go to college unless you thought you could get a higher paying job.

education maybe?
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Actually. I think my question lies in this: Masters teach to be. But how can one be if they have to will themselves to work? What does Buddhism say about will. Because we can't get free food, water, rent etc. How does it apply to western life.
    edited January 2010
    I do not see a distinction from Western or Eastern life with regards to work. Work is called work because it requires perserverance and dedication to accomplish the final product. I would recommend that you realise that you are not a doctor or a lawyer or a plumber, you simply do the tasks of a doctor or a lawyer or a plumber. There is a lot of attachment to one's title, but that title is temporary. Think about this: as a monk you would still have to do the tasks to sustain your life.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I don't think you need willpower. I simply think you need to appreciate what you have in your hands. Think of your education as a privilege rather than an obligation. There are many in this world who crave knowledge and education but do not have the resources or opportunity. Opinions of the role of education itself aside, there are young people out there who would love to go to college but can't afford it. College is actually a rather remarkable thing, when you think about it: here you have access to knowledgeable (sometimes brilliant) people, library resources available nowhere else, research and internship opportunities found nowhere else and you are surrounded by thousands of kids your own age.

Perhaps take a year off? Many universities allow you to take a year off and return to complete your degree with no penalties.
  • edited January 2010
    Glow wrote: »
    I don't think you need willpower. I simply think you need to appreciate what you have in your hands. Think of your education as a privilege rather than an obligation. There are many in this world who crave knowledge and education but do not have the resources or opportunity. Opinions of the role of education itself aside, there are young people out there who would love to go to college but can't afford it. College is actually a rather remarkable thing, when you think about it: here you have access to knowledgeable (sometimes brilliant) people, library resources available nowhere else, research and internship opportunities found nowhere else and you are surrounded by thousands of kids your own age.

Perhaps take a year off? Many universities allow you to take a year off and return to complete your degree with no penalties.
    I agree completely.
    The experience and opportunity of higher education should not be missed and we are very fortunate to have such opportunities.
    My university studies certainly fall into a niche that doesnt really have much financial growth connected to it but i am reminded every day of the value of my education.
  • edited January 2010
    Actually. I think my question lies in this: Masters teach to be. But how can one be if they have to will themselves to work? What does Buddhism say about will. Because we can't get free food, water, rent etc. How does it apply to western life.
    Ever heard of the Ngakpa tradition?
    here is an interview that talks about the lifestyle and practice commitments of Ngakpa's.
    http://www.snowlionpub.com/pages/N76_1.html
    Ngakpa's live in the world but hold serious Buddhist commitments etc.
    Its a very profound path if done correctly.
  • edited January 2010
    to will is to be, as far as i see it at this moment which is looking out from a shell though onto the sun and the sunnily illuminated beach, exerting one's will is the prerequisite, or the beginning to be. it is like investing in the future, a future which may seem tenuous but really is not, so long as you believe. how can we just be anyways? that takes the freedom out of it. we must learn to will ourselves into being first, learn how to lessen the delusive grip that willing things is really that hard at all. man, fuck college! college costs a fuckload of money, and getting a degree usually means pursuing school in an impersonal, rigid & systematized manner. there are schools that have more experimental takes though. i went to school and studied what i want then dropped out. no degree, but i am still paying like a fool for it. but i still did what iwanted! you can live without a degree easily, live simple and beautifully. read thoreau's walden. it's great! just do what you want. but be unwavering & resolute.

also, like glow said, you can take time off. i would also say check out rolf pott's vagabonding: an uncommon guide to long-term travel. great book that encourages independence independent of the general status quo of things and establishment.
  • edited January 2010
    education maybe?

Well and good. But no one I know intentionally goes to school, gets an education, all in the hopes of working minimum wage at McDonalds. I see nothing wrong with people wanting to get an education. I just don't think they should blow exorbitant amounts of money. Fortunately, the OP gets grants, but too many people pay ghastly amounts to go to undergraduate school. I say go to community colleges.
  • edited January 2010
    Well and good. But no one I know intentionally goes to school, gets an education, all in the hopes of working minimum wage at McDonalds. I see nothing wrong with people wanting to get an education. I just don't think they should blow exorbitant amounts of money. Fortunately, the OP gets grants, but too many people pay ghastly amounts to go to undergraduate school. I say go to community colleges.
    i agree that the price is extreme and that there are very few who have hopes of fast food labor when they graduate.
    Community college is a good place to start. In my opinion there is no substitute for the instruction that is available in many universities.
    I dont think anyone is "blowing" money by seeking out a college education.
    In my opinion you cant put a price tag on an education.
    edited January 2010
    My cousin graduated with his MBA from some Ivy league school, I can't remember which one which is around $40,000 a year) and he is now working for the Taco Bell/KFC company.

He is an executive but I like to make fun of him about it.

Anyways, school helps one grow, a degree shows employers you can make a goal and finish it more than anything else, but a degree is not crucial to make a lot of money or have a successful career or life. However, on average it helps one make more money and be more marketable. The important point is to use your college education to learn and grow whatever you choose as a major. I was one who couldn't choose just one so I double majored and got two minors. I am kind of a nerd though.
  • edited January 2010
    I dont think anyone is "blowing" money by seeking out a college education.
    In my opinion you cant put a price tag on an education.

It really depends what you go for. I think most degrees are a waste. Hard sciences are good along with accounting, medicine, and law. But English? Any kind of fraudulent "Insert Ethnic Group Studies?" Marketing? These to me are wastes. Not to say you can't find a job somewhere with them, but I wouldn't count on it with the current state of affairs. I think the education you receive at a community college can be just as good as these pretty universities.

This issue is a particular soar point for me. My sister is going to start applying to colleges next year, and all the schools she wants to go are ridiculously priced. (She doesn't share my thrift) If she somehow cons my parents into paying the piper for one of these Ivory Towers, she'll set them back a decade as far as finances are concerned. I'm opposed on moral grounds as well as simply common sense grounds. I'm just flabbergasted at how parents are so easily duped by "necessity" of going to universities.
  • edited January 2010
    Any kind of fraudulent "Insert Ethnic Group Studies?
    alright alright no need to ddisparage ethnic studies! i love native american studies! they contribute to sociology and politics!
  • edited January 2010
    Originally Posted by Glow viewpost.gif

Excellent advice ... ALTHOUGH ... I do think you have to be careful with taking a year off. I don't mean to know the idea, but it can be a reason for people not to go back at all later ...

Getting through this rough patch ... with a different mind-set would be an option too as suggested here elsewhere.

Lastly, I think it's all about motivation in college, "you got to find your carrot" if you know what I mean ;) , dangle something in front of you to get you nearer to your goal. Sometime indeed it is a good idea to see it through for a while and give it a good go while u are at it.

Best of Luck!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Inji-gyo wrote: »

And when you graduate, you may realise that you don't! LOL
  • edited January 2010
    Hey thanks for putting me in my place Simon :-p

KOB-
    I don't plan on doing anything with my degree. But I know whatever comes my way I'll be ready for it.

To ravkes-
    Buddhism doesn't prescribe a magic bullet to end laziness. Laziness is the opposite of diligence. Diligence is a skill, like any skill you must practice.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hank777 wrote: »
    Excellent advice ... ALTHOUGH ... I do think you have to be careful with taking a year off. I don't mean to know the idea, but it can be a reason for people not to go back at all later ...
    This is true. Also, you must be sure you're square with your university so they know you're taking a break and not simply dropping out. Of course, some people leave school never to return again, and they do alright. (coughBillGatescough) What you do with that year off is important, however. Joining a volunteer organization, going abroad, working full time are good options. It may also give you an opportunity to earn some money to help contribute to the paying of tuition when you do return. I know of people who have been forced to leave school because of monetary reasons, taking some time off to build resources back up, and then returned. Everyone follows a different path.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'm an undergraduate in college who doesn't "enjoy" school. I understand that I need to get a degree so I can get a job so I can eat and live and give, but even with this motivation I find myself struggling to do any work for my classes because of my disinterest with the "conditioned" world and rigid structure. I was just wondering what Buddhism has to say about laziness and how to deal with it.

Thank you.
    I don't enjoy school either, but I like to get myself a good dose of education. In other words, I'm a lazy-a** student too, though I'm in high school :D.
    I'm lazy at school mostly because I hate to hear the same s**t every-day, and to be conditioned. And although I'm the lazy-a** of my classroom, I get the highest grades at tests.
    Well, as for the buddhism, lazyness and the education thing, I suggest that you should be lazy when you want to (you suffer if you do what you don't want to do...Am I right ?? :D). And about the study, you should study before going to bed. Pick up the book and read it before you sleep.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    buddhism would say to wisely reflect in the way you are reflecting

however, an impression gained is you are using buddhist teachings to justify your mind's discursiveness

a practising buddhist can actually function in the conditioned world rather than become disfunctional

the buddha praised education highly

if one struggles to finish a university degree then one will struggle with buddhist practise

kind regards

dd

:)
  • edited February 2010
    Well, there are Buddhist universities that offer regular real life degrees; like Naropa!!

There's also on line stuff and a place called the California Institute of Integral Studies. In Portland, Oregon there's the Maitripa Institute associated with the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Teachings that's on the road to full accreditation and and Bastyr U. up around Bellingham, Washington.

If the State U. does't work for you, you can always transfer.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Mechanics, construction workers, civil service workers, and pilots are just a few jobs that don't require college degrees, and pay good.

I agree with your post that college is not for everyone, but I would disagree that civil service jobs and pilot jobs do not require college. Most do. And most don't pay beans, at least not in the USA. Most entry level professional airline pilots (who start out with the regional airlines) make less than $15,000 per year. That's poverty wages (literally). Most civil servants don't make much money either, and in today's climate, they're not getting raises.

Mtns
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2010
    buddhism would say to wisely reflect in the way you are reflecting

however, an impression gained is you are using buddhist teachings to justify your mind's discursiveness

a practising buddhist can actually function in the conditioned world rather than become disfunctional

the buddha praised education highly

if one struggles to finish a university degree then one will struggle with buddhist practise

kind regards

dd

:)

True DD. Thank you. I try to "be the watcher" constantly, it seems to help while studying as well. Do you have any mindfulness techniques?
  • edited February 2010
    This topic is relevant to me as I am graduating this semester from a four year undergraduate program in psychology.

My experience at school has made me very cynical about academia in general.

My view of the educational and economic system is that it is driven primarily by fear. In buddhism, we learn the importance of not investing too much into our sense of self and ego. But for the rest of the world, especially western society, that seems to be the main thing motivating the system. Sure, we may be afraid of death and loss. But shhh.. don't tell anybody that no amount of money, fame, or power is going to prevent that from occuring.

I had the choice this year to apply to graduate school or not. I chose not to because I would like to learn what its like to live with nothing, before I attempt to discover what it is like to live with something. Here's to hoping the true thing of value remains the same: to live at all.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi ravkes

Try not to think of "college" as "getting a job" in the future.

College is your job.

With metta.