Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mahayana vs Theravada bodhi

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello. I have read that Mahayana school; considers it enlightenment or awakening when one realizes wisdom in "emptiness" but I think I have become aware that they still accept the view of the four stages of enlightenment.

When a Bodhisattva takes the vow to become enlightened... does he take a vow to become an arahat; or wisdom in emptiness.

Sorry if I confuse anyone.

Comments

• edited February 2010
    mmmm not sure.. what are your thoughts Richard?:D
  • edited February 2010
    ooops sorry bout that:buck: must be lonely or something!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Cant speak for the Vajrayana. But in Zen the Bodhisattva vows are to realize wisdom in emptiness (Kensho basically) as a basis for ongoing practice and endless engagement in the world. I have heard no reference to the four Stages of enlightenment in a Zen context, and cant say for sure where overlap may be. As I understand it a fork presents at the end of the narrow path of concentration. An Arhant takes a different path than a Bodhisattva. Others may have a different view.
    edited February 2010
    blueface wrote: »
    ooops sorry bout that:buck: must be lonely or something!
    Oh hi:D not lonely just addicted to posting.... Help!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2010
    As far as I know (not an expert) realization of emptiness is not enlightenment. Its the beginning of the bodhisattva path in the Mahayana I think.
    edited February 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    As far as I know (not an expert) realization of emptiness is not enlightenment. Its the beginning of the bodhisattva path in the Mahayana I think.
    It is Enlightenment in a sense. It is "Sudden Enlightenment", the realization of the awakened state, but this awakening is just the beginning of an endless path. In Zen, Enlightenment is no big deal. Its just seeing your "true nature" then carrying on. . Of course this first taste of genuine non-duality is a Life changer, and the end of existential insecurity.

I have been told this corresponds to Mahamudra in the Vajrayana by folk who have practiced in both streams, but do not know this first hand.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    No, a Mahayana Buddhist does not strive to become an arhat. The idea is that by seeing that all phenomena, all of samsara and nirvana, are empty they see the essential identity of the two and thus avoid falling into the extreme of samsara and remaining a worldly person, but also the extreme of nirvana, and becoming an arhat.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited February 2010
    shanyin wrote: »

When a Bodhisattva takes the vow to become enlightened... does he take a vow to become an arahat; or wisdom in emptiness.
    In terms of the stages of a Bodhisattva, realization of emptiness is pretty much a must I think, in order for one to realize true altruism and then compassion.

However, as I understand it an ahrat is also known as a "foe destroyer", in which the individual has completely rid them selves of their defilement's and so forth. So I think that in agreement with the various Bodhisattva levels, one would usually have to attain arhatship initially, although one may be able to achieve this through the wisdom that realizes emptiness.

Then again I could be way off :D
    edited February 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    No, a Mahayana Buddhist does not strive to become an arhat. The idea is that by seeing that all phenomena, all of samsara and nirvana, are empty they see the essential identity of the two and thus avoid falling into the extreme of samsara and remaining a worldly person, but also the extreme of nirvana, and becoming an arhat.
    What do you think Theravada folk would think of The Arhant being presented as a one sided extreme? It is a choice, but is it an error in your view?
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    RH, The Arhant being presented as a one sided extreme?
    Hi Richard, they are different in their Buddhist goal , the Nikayan Buddhist's ultimate goal of practice is Nirvana of no remainder , aka ' reducing the body to ashes and annihilating consciousness '.

Whereas the Mahayana Buddhist's goal of practice , nirvana means to be awaken to the true nature of phenomena , manifesting the life state of Buddhahood ( Buddha wisdom and liberation ) , and enjoying nirvana while repeating in the cycle of birth and death. Since both of them are of non-duality ( emptiness ) , manifested from the same source of unchanging reality/truth
    Hence the Great Teacher Tientai wrote in his ' Great Concentration and Insight' states ' The ignorance and dust of desires are enlightenment, and the sufferings of birth and death are nirvana "
    edited February 2010
    ansanna wrote: »
    Hi Richard, they are different in their Buddhist goal , the Nikayan Buddhist's ultimate goal of practice is Nirvana of no remainder , aka ' reducing the body to ashes and annihilating consciousness '.

Whereas the Mahayana Buddhist's goal of practice , nirvana means to be awaken to the true nature of phenomena , manifesting the life state of Buddhahood ( Buddha wisdom and liberation ) , and enjoying nirvana while repeating in the cycle of birth and death. Since both of them are of non-duality ( emptiness ) , manifested from the same source of unchanging reality/truth
    Hence the Great Teacher Tientai wrote in his ' Great Concentration and Insight' states ' The ignorance and dust of desires are enlightenment, and the sufferings of birth and death are nirvana "
    yeh I know. You are simply reiterating some basics. My point is does jinzan (or you) you see the path of the Arhant as an error.
  • edited February 2010
    the Nikayan Buddhist's ultimate goal of practice is Nirvana of no remainder , aka ' reducing the body to ashes and annihilating consciousness '.

Hi ansanna

With respect, here you are not speaking what is truthful.

The goal of practise as taught by the Buddha in the Nikayas is NOT annihilationism.

In fact, the contrary is the case.

Annihilationst views are taught: as one extreme to be abandoned.

They're opposed to eternalist views: another extreme to be abandoned.

However, the goal of practise in the Buddha's teaching is the end of suffering.

The end of suffering is synonymous with seeing things as they really are.

Please do not misrepresent the Buddha, friend.

:)
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi Richard, the beautiful of Buddha Dharma is that it is much more refine , it respect other practices , at most they are expounding the partial truth , or provisional teaching that helps to prepare the mind of the beings for the higher truth in their future lifes

Within the Buddha Dharma - hence the notion of 84,000 dharma gates and outside of Buddha Dharma - it recognise the saints and sages of Greek, Chinese, Indian & other lands as pratyekabuddha , as preparation the human mind for future higher teaching before the Buddha advent.
    edited February 2010
    This can morph into a really interesting discussion on misunderstandings between vehicles. Hidden here is the "H" word. The path to Nibbana and the path of the Bodhisattva , at least in Zen are not ranked as higher or lower (at least in my experience as a student of both) but a matter of choice. I should have picked out the use of the term "Annhilation" This is interesting. I was taught by the Theravadin teachers that "consciousness" also arises and ceases along with the object of consciousness. It is also Anicca Dukkha and Anatta. Nibbana is not Consciousness is it? ...thats a rhetorical question
    edited February 2010
    Hi Richard, the beautiful of Buddha Dharma is that it is much more refine , it respect other practices , at most they are expounding the partial truth , or provisional teaching that helps to prepare the mind of the beings for the higher truth in their future lifes

Within the Buddha Dharma - hence the notion of 84,000 dharma gates and outside of Buddha Dharma - it recognise the saints and sages of Greek, Chinese, Indian & other lands as pratyekabuddha , as preparation the human mind for future higher teaching before the Buddha advent.
    Hey I'm all for many Gates. All beautiful.:)
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi TheCap, with great respect,<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    This is the concepts of the earlier schools , basically their view is divided as<O:p></O:p>
    1) Considered that nirvana-without-remainder always follows nirvana-with-remainder (buddhas first achieve enlightenment and then, at 'death', mahaparinirvana) and that nirvana-without-remainder is final.<O:p</O:p
    2) The other camp of earlier school such as Mahasanghika, consider that nirvana-without-remainder is always followed by nirvana-with-remainder – the state of attainment of the arhat is not final, and is eventually succeeded by the state of buddhahod or total Awakening. - Mahayana generally adopts as the heir of this school of thoughts .<O:p</O:p
    The above arguement have been reflected in many of treatises of ancient Indian Mahayana Buddhist scholar monks and sages (bodhisattva ), we cannnot white wash or not respecting this part of buddhist history
    edited February 2010
    I am being taught, and practice is pointing to .. this "remainder" being endless. Any thought on this ansanna?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2010

That's one interpretation some Theravadins have of the term anupadises-nibbana-dhatu (nibbana element with no fuel remaining) in Iti 44 — as well as the line, "With the cessation of consciousness each is here brought to an end" from DN 11 — but that's certainly not how it's understood by all Theravadins.

In The Mind Like Fire Unbound, for example, Thanissaro Bhikkhu writes that, "This experience of the goal — absolutely unlimited freedom, beyond classification and exclusive of all else — is termed the elemental nibbana property with no 'fuel' remaining (anupadisesa-nibbana-dhatu)."

He also points to the term vinnanam-anidassanam (consciousness without feature) in DN 11, and notes that this consciousness, not "partaking the allness of the all," doesn't come under the aggregate of consciousness because it stands outside of space and time. As such, it is a type of awareness that is "not harmed by death."

So while some Theravadins describe nibbana as the end of all consciousness, stressing the cessation aspect of nibbana, others describe nibbana as a state of purified awareness and stress its transcendent aspect.
    edited February 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    He also points to the term vinnanam-anidassanam (consciousness without feature) in DN 11, and notes that this consciousness, not "partaking the allness of the all," doesn't come under the aggregate of consciousness because it stands outside of space and time. As such, it is a type of awareness that is "not harmed by death."

yikes!. Hello Brahman! When Theravadins, who so often hang on the authority of the Pali Canon, come across something patently eternalistic like this. Do you try and square it? or just defer? :eek:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2010
    yikes!. Hello Brahman! When Theravadins, who so often hang on the authority of the Pali Canon, come across something patently eternalistic like this. Do you try and square it? or just defer? :eek:

Usually we just have endless debates about the nuances of Pali and whether the Abhidhamma Pitaka and its commentaries are as authoritative as the Sutta Pitaka. :D
  • edited February 2010
    well i wanna stick my face deep up into samsara with utter non-attached equanimity and frolic around a few moments in pure bliss. :lol::lol::lol:
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    RH, I am being taught, and practice is pointing to .. this "remainder" being endless. Any thought on this ansanna?

Hi Richard, when you said that your view came from Mahayana perspective , you are in this side of the camp, the remainder is derive from your Bodhi-cita or Bodhisattva vows to practice for oneself and practice to save the rest of suffering beings

As the Mahayana lotus sutra clearly state the teacher Shakyamuni Buddha is always here preaching the Dharma , his Buddha field is none other then this saha world.
    So if the teacher is still working hard to preach the Dharma, how possible his disciples can annihilating to ashes and forgo the other suffering beings ?
    edited February 2010
    Hi Richard, when you said that your view came from Mahayana perspective , you are in this side of the camp, the remainder is derive from your Bodhi-cita or Bodhisattva vows to practice for oneself and practice to save the rest of suffering beings

As the Mahayana lotus sutra clearly state the teacher Shakyamuni Buddha is always here preaching the Dharma , his Buddha field is none other then this saha world.
    So if the teacher is still working hard to preach the Dharma, how possible his disciples can annihilating to ashes and forgo the other suffering beings ?
    Camp? Well ansanna, Life is my responsibility as long as it exists, and when this world passes, there is the next one, and the next one...forever. Yet the whole time there is only practice now. That is the choice made from this gut.

However. Ultimately the choice to "stay" or "go" is neither here nor there. The choice between realizing the cessation of Nibbana, or the endless realizing of nirvana/samsara, is ultimately neither here nor there. No higher, no lower. No spiritual hierarchy of transcendent amazingness (gack). ....And on the level of human behaviour and example. No one, comes close the the virtue demonstrated by the beautiful Theravadin Monks and Nuns I have had the good fortune to know! No "Bodhisattva" Ive ever met comes close to the likes of these people. So no. This practitioner not in your Holy camp :). The Bodhisattva vows prevent it.

"Nothing Holy, Great Space!" Bodhidharma :) Tis so.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi TheCap, with great respect,<o>:p</o>:p
    <o>:p</o>:p
    This is the concepts of the earlier schools , basically their view is divided as<o>:p></o>:p>
    1) Considered that nirvana-without-remainder always follows nirvana-with-remainder (buddhas first achieve enlightenment and then, at 'death', mahaparinirvana) and that nirvana-without-remainder is final.<o>:p</o>:p
    2) The other camp of earlier school such as Mahasanghika, consider that nirvana-without-remainder is always followed by nirvana-with-remainder – the state of attainment of the arhat is not final, and is eventually succeeded by the state of buddhahod or total Awakening. - Mahayana generally adopts as the heir of this school of thoughts .<o>:p</o>:p
    The above arguement have been reflected in many of treatises of ancient Indian Mahayana Buddhist scholar monks and sages (bodhisattva ), we cannnot white wash or not respecting this part of buddhist history

Hi ansanna

These are common beliefs of the various commentarial traditions.:p

Previously, however, you were talking of "Nikaya Buddhism" and "annihilating consciousness".:p

The Buddha never taught annihilating consciousness, quite the contrary.:p

In the Majjhima Nikaya, the Buddha clearly states Nirvana to be a kind of consciousness:
    [Brahma:]
    "Good sir, if that is not partaken of by the allness of all, may it not turn out to be vacuous and empty for you!"

[Buddha:]
    "Consciousness non-manifesting,
    Boundless, luminous all-around:
    that is not partaken by the earthness of earth,
    that is not partaken by the waterness of water, [..]
    that is not partaken by the allness of all.
    Be well.:p
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    thecap : In the Majjhima Nikaya, the Buddha clearly states Nirvana to be a kind of consciousness:

Well , Thecap , you may need to define this different of the Nivanic consciousness and the consciousness in the five aggregate ( pancha-skandha )
    as in elementary Buddhist teaching all these five aggregates of form, perception, conception , volition and consciousness are all temporarily element of a individual self .

I think the Yogachara and the Tathagata-garbha school explains that better with their eight level of consciousness ( vijnana , discernment ) and the nineth level of consciousenss ( amala consciousness as the pure and undefiled consciousness )