Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any young buddhist out there?

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Anupassī wrote: »
    Been meaning to ask you, Palzang: can you speak and/or read Tibetan?

I can read it, but I don't know much grammar, unfortunately.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    Gee Jellybean.

I don't even know you yet and I like you!

Another weirdo! :eekblue:

Palzang
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited February 2010
    My mummy said God clicked the wire into the wrong curcuit when making my brain :buck:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    That's what you get for keeping Egyptian artifacts around the house.

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    Gee Jellybean.

I don't even know you yet and I like you!

Thankyou :D I am quite likeable aren't I Palzang *says in an exuberently threatening voice* I'll send you a friend request. I have sixteen friends but I've never recieved a request, oh well *stumbles away quitely*

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Yes, even if you do live with mummys.

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    Hi, I thought I'd look into this thread, even though I'm afraid I haven't properly read it all.
    I'm 14 and from Nottingham in England, and first discovered Buddhism maybe 4-5 months back.

I was getting a bit fed up about having nobody to talk about with the whole thing, so I thought I would try and find a decent forum. It's very nice here (just in case anyone is wondering, there is a Buddhist centre in Nottingham, but it's FWBO and I heard some bad things about them).

And yeah, Nottingham is where Robin Hood comes from...
    edited February 2010
    You're funny Palyzangy :D They should make a fizzy drink named after you;

'Get your new Palzang! Giving you the extra Zang you can't live without ;)'

And a sweetie named after me, no, that's a crazy idea :rolleyes:

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

P.S.
    I typed in Palzang on the internet and you're famous!!! I'm on the internet to but I'm not saying what you have to type, because I don't remember.
    edited February 2010
    Also because people would know what I looked like and have me kidnapped because I'm so wonderful, and it would give the link to my old school which is two yards (yes, really) from my current school (I'm not a currect but they can't know I'm a jelly bean :() and five minutes from my jar.
    edited February 2010
    Oh My Agnoticism I think I'm litterely actually going :screwy:
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Thankyou :D I am quite likeable aren't I Palzang *says in an exuberently threatening voice* I'll send you a friend request. I have sixteen friends but I've never recieved a request, oh well *stumbles away quitely*

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

:eek: I would have sent you a request but we are already friends. If you want I will de-friend you, wait for a few days and then send you a request.:hohum:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    'Get your new Palzang! Giving you the extra Zang you can't live without '

It's true, they can't.

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    Robin Hood never existed :bawling: (Neither does Santa but don't tell Palzang, he'll cry- like he did when I had to tell him about the Tooth Fairy, Lady Gaga and Paris Hilton). Sorry, I'm a bit... but I'll try not to scare you off...
    Hello *shakes your hand* I from very near Nottingham, I like the farm park...

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/horriblehistories/song8.shtml
    edited February 2010
    It's fine... ^^^ That's what I learn in our great British schools :D That's a fave programme of mine of CBBC. Underneath are all the other songs from the horrible history series. You've got to admit though, you get to laugh, dance, and learn all in one ;)
  • edited February 2010
    Jamithicus wrote: »
    Hi, I thought I'd look into this thread, even though I'm afraid I haven't properly read it all.
    I'm 14 and from Nottingham in England, and first discovered Buddhism maybe 4-5 months back.

I was getting a bit fed up about having nobody to talk about with the whole thing, so I thought I would try and find a decent forum. It's very nice here (just in case anyone is wondering, there is a Buddhist centre in Nottingham, but it's FWBO and I heard some bad things about them).

A lot of the thread isn't worth reading... hehe :D But glad to have you on here jamie. If you hadn't noticed, jellybean/ joe/ love'n'peace is the only member I know of that is younger than you... never would have guessed, right? HAHAH.

And jellybean... I am not sure what to say to you today. :D

How was everyone's week?
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks Palzang! :D
    At least somebody likes me, Ashley :screwy:

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

No, you're too normal to be my friend. Sorry. *Tells her imaginary friends to keep their opinions to themselves, argues for a bit." Okay! Fine! They think you're awesome... :eek: I don't know why... :crazy::D Hehe.
  • edited February 2010
    What does 'Palzang' mean in Tibetan, precisely?
    edited February 2010
    Yay!
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad your imaginary friends like me :screwy: :crazy:
  • edited February 2010
    Jamithicus wrote: »

Yes! Another Nottingham Buddhist on board, i too am from the beloved Nottingham, good to see you on the forums :grin:!

With Metta, Jackus.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Anupassī wrote: »
    What does 'Palzang' mean in Tibetan, precisely?

It means "glorious auspiciousness". My full name it Thubten Rinchen Palzang, which means "Doctrine Holder of Precious Glorious Auspiciousness". Well, sounds impressive...

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hey, I thought the evil Sheriff of Nottingham lived in Nottingham and Robin Hood lived in the forest, free as a bird. And he did too exist. I saw his TV show. Santa, of course, exists. All you have to do is go shopping at Christmas time, and there he is :doh:Lady Gaga, however, is a myth...

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    I'm glad your imaginary friends like me :screwy: :crazy:

Hey now... no smartassness needed! :D:lol:
    edited February 2010
    Humth :orange: ...

And Thubten (:lol:), Lady Gaga is real! She is! Here she is:

ladygaga12.jpg

Anyway you don't anything to do with santa:

evil-santa2.jpg

Or the easter bunny:

funny-pictures-evil-easter-bunny-16P.jpg
    edited February 2010
    ;):o:( :eek: :rolleyes: :lol: :crazy: :cool: :confused::angry::grin: :-/ :wtf: :tonguec: :hrm: :pirate: :orange: :nonono: :uphand: :mean: :tongue2: :screwy: :D:):confused: :mad: :cool: :p :smilec: :skeptical :sadc: :rolleyesc :buck: :hohum: :eekblue: :winkc: :werr: :hair: :grumble: :grr: :zombie: :eek2: :downhand: :om: :poke: :bigclap: :bawling: :wavey: :vimp: :rockon: :rocker: :rarr: :rant: :wow: :doh: :viking: :coffee: :hiding: :scratch: :banghead: :cog: :ninja: :type: :mullet: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :facepalm: :dunce: :usflag: :ukflag: :ausflag: :bs: :cheer: :canflag: :sweflag: :ot: :woowoo: :birthday: :whatever: hug.gif :PWNED: <TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=windowbg><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=titlebg><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR class=windowbg><TD align=left>kaffee0.gif clapping.gif clap.gif quoteunquote.gif Candle.gif spinning_emoticons_by_Destiny84.gif willy_nilly.gif tantrum.gif tanz12.gif whistle.gif out.gif hahaha.gif thinking.gif helpsmilie.gif consolinbg.gif surrender.gif surprise.gif silly.gif dancing.gif smiley-face-cheer.gif rolf.gif LoL.gif meditation.gif nerd.gif shrug.gif timeout.gif tt2.gif Confused.gif popc1.gif applause.gif seeya.gif waves.gif hugs.gif smiley_bow.gif love30.gif smiley-face-bouncing-008.gif herz.gif devil.gif stirthepot.gif fight2.gif pullinghairout.gif batting_eyelashes.gif mad2.gif frustrated.gif prrr.gif broken_heart.gif shhhh.gif no.gif yes.gif yesnod.gif hypnotized.gif sleepy.gif idea.gif think.gif innocent.gif whew.gif angry.gif party.gif pppppppppppbbt.gif smiley-face-poke.gif wacky.gif wacko.gif daydreaming.gif stooge_larry.gif stooge_curly.gif stooge_moe.gif angel.gif square.gif blank.gif smiley-face-sun-clouds.gif sunny.gif thumbs_up.gif heehee.gif smartass.gif boxing_smiley.gif punk.gif metal.gif juggle.gif alien.gif sigh.gif evilgrin.gif reading.gif book.gif blink.gif deal2.gif yinyang.gif ack2.gif idontwannasee.gif worried.gif raised_eyebrows.gif talktothehand.gif gnorsi.gif wasnt_me.gif nailbiting.gif liar.gif 7789.gif chatter.gif Straightface.gif reallysad.gif toetap05.gif doh.gif pinch.gif notlistening.gif notalking.gif shameonyou.gif angry.gif shame.gif disappointed.gif waiting.gif bringiton.gif feeling_beat_up.gif yawn.gif pirate.gif drool.gif clown.gif Crying.gif cryin.gif sick.gif sick2.gif troll.gif batman.gif shuriken.gif ph34r.gif toff.gif 1eye.gif moneyeyes.gif argue.gif taz.gif thinking2.gif toilet.gif pc_wos16.gif beatdeadhorse5.gif 11_4_127v_1_.gif nopity.gif coffee.gif Falloffchair.gif computer.gif computerproblem.gif wave.gif Smiley_ROFLMAO.gif panic.gif starwars023.gif tennis-volley-1.gif lurk5.gif happybday.gif goodpost.gif focus.gif rockon.gif yeahthat.gif iagree.gif hijacked.gif oops.gif 3a382d444e054000d57723ff6ca8b949.gif dots.gif kruzen.gif offtopic.gif ban.gif smiley-face-matrix-006.gif tclosed.png nahrung008.gif bulb.gif elf.gif 2eveumu.png xmas.gif rant.gif
    Beat That!
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=titlebg><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR class=windowbg><TD align=left>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=windowbg><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • edited February 2010
    Please don't beat that :P!
    edited February 2010
    I've still got more smilies from my other forum and I haven't even started with my Wiccan forum :p
  • edited February 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Lady Gaga, however, is a myth...

Palzang

And I was going to see her live as well. Damn...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Well, if you've ever seen her live, then you know she's not real!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Smilies make me want to burn my computer and go live in a cave somewhere, preferably on another planet...

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    Smilies make me want to burn my computer and go live in a cave somewhere, preferably on another planet...

Palzang

Oh way to be a boring butt!

But I have to agree with jackus... lets not beat that. Hehe :o

And Lady Gaga... umm... eww. :D
    edited February 2010
    computerproblem.gif < Palzang when I do smilies :D Spoilsport Mr Palzang smiley-face-poke.gif
  • edited February 2010
    ^Haha :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Oh, way to be mature, Joe! And N-I-R! :lol:

And anyway smilies are punishable by death on my home planet...

Palzang
    edited February 2010

vvvvvvvvvv
    Oh, way to be mature, Joe! And N-I-R! ----:lol:----

And anyway smilies are punishable by death on my home planet...^^^^

Palzang

Hypocrit alert! Alert! Alert! Alert!:hrm: Load up the smilie guns :eek::mad:
    Load, aim, FIRE! :crazy::cool::lol::p:):(:D;):o:confused::rolleyes::mad::eek::winkc::hrm::crazy:
    > tantrum.gif
    Palzang
    ^^^
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    You are a sick puppy! LOL

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    nahrung008.gif
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Like I said...

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I love the microwave smiley. Always makes me laugh....
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010
    nahrung008.gif

wonderful Love'N'Peace
    my grandson sends his love:):)
  • edited February 2010
    The time has come for the manifestation of the Blessed One, the Buddha of this age, in webcomic form.

(The finger puppets are on the hand of the Abrahamic God in the clouds.)
    2006-11-21.gif

2006-11-22.gif

2006-11-23.gif

2007-04-06.gif

2007-06-17.gif

2007-08-14.gif

2007-10-07.gif

2007-10-08.gif

2008-01-10.gif

2008-01-25.gif

2008-02-29.gif

2008-08-11.gif

2008-11-23.gif

2009-09-17.gif

2009-09-20.gif
  • edited February 2010
    :) That is funny anupassi.

Hmm, I had a weird encounter today. A guy whom was the first buddhist I'd ever met came up to me and appologized for being, as he said, a "dick". But I was so caught off guard, sure he had been acting rudely and such, but I wasn't effected by it, and upon further realization I let him come into my life, and leave just as easily, and it did not hurt me. This makes me happy for I have come to realize happiness does not come from others, therefore basing your happiness on others is a waste of time... probably.
    Then he was talking to us about how he no longer is sure about enlightenment. He feels that expiriencing the lows are worth it, because without it you would not have the highs, therefore the middleway, though it is said to be a way out of suffering, does not allow for the high points, thus is not worth it to him. This gives me a good idea of how we easily will buy into illusion. The kid was a hard core buddhist for a little over two years, he even shaves his head >_<, yet when a girl came by, he quickly relinquished his buddhist views in order to allow himself to become attatched. And has come to a conclusion that attatchment in fact brings happiness, and if it brings suffering, that maybe we all need to suffer a bit too... say what? Lol. But that's okay, I can accept his opinions and views, however I cannot find truth in them. I think this is good because, as he introduced me to buddhism, my beliefs did not falter merely because his did.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Ashley,

The middle path does not stop one from experiencing moments of joy or sadness. What it does do is help you develop a method of understanding those moments of hapiness or sadness as exactly what they are, moments. Life is full of highs and lows but these moments do not need to control your life. Hopefully, he will realize this truth one day and understand life for what it truly is. His past actions at least led you to better understand the Dharma and was a catalyst in your path to enlightenment.

-QW
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    :) That is funny anupassi.

Hmm, I had a weird encounter today. A guy whom was the first buddhist I'd ever met came up to me and appologized for being, as he said, a "dick". But I was so caught off guard, sure he had been acting rudely and such, but I wasn't effected by it, and upon further realization I let him come into my life, and leave just as easily, and it did not hurt me. This makes me happy for I have come to realize happiness does not come from others, therefore basing your happiness on others is a waste of time... probably.
    Then he was talking to us about how he no longer is sure about enlightenment. He feels that expiriencing the lows are worth it, because without it you would not have the highs, therefore the middleway, though it is said to be a way out of suffering, does not allow for the high points, thus is not worth it to him. This gives me a good idea of how we easily will buy into illusion. The kid was a hard core buddhist for a little over two years, he even shaves his head >_<, yet when a girl came by, he quickly relinquished his buddhist views in order to allow himself to become attatched. And has come to a conclusion that attatchment in fact brings happiness, and if it brings suffering, that maybe we all need to suffer a bit too... say what? Lol. But that's okay, I can accept his opinions and views, however I cannot find truth in them. I think this is good because, as he introduced me to buddhism, my beliefs did not falter merely because his did.
    That's a very interesting development. It's sad for him that he has to do more suffering to figure out it's not worth it but it's amazing that you already know that. He was the one who inspired the path in you yet he can't walk it right now and you can. Interesting. The level of maturity is definitely a factor too. I'm very happy for you, Ashley. It's like today's encounter was an affirmation for you. :)
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it's sad for him :( A shame... But it shows independance- in a way of speaking- because you didn't falter, I don't know if I would. A couple of my friends are 'Buddhists' but I just feel they're copying me and exitedly planning to get a huge group of friends to beat another of my friends just isn't right... :(

Hilarious cartoon :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I agree, Ashley, that's an important step you've taken because Buddhism is about finding your own path, not depending on others. Ask your friend how important this relationship is when he breaks up next week or month or whenever!

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    I agree, Ashley, that's an important step you've taken because Buddhism is about finding your own path, not depending on others. Ask your friend how important this relationship is when he breaks up next week or month or whenever!

Palzang

Yeah Palzang, I thought of doing that, but the comment would merely upset him, rather than show him error in his logic. However, as you said, it's about finding your own path... I don't really think it is in my place to push him back toward the path that he once walked, but rather talk to him if he ever needs that.
    Yeah, it's sad for him :( A shame... But it shows independance- in a way of speaking- because you didn't falter, I don't know if I would. A couple of my friends are 'Buddhists' but I just feel they're copying me and exitedly planning to get a huge group of friends to beat another of my friends just isn't right... :(

Right, which is why I have not told him that I am now following the buddha dharma, and was why I waited until he wasn't in my life as much so that I could be sure that I was doing it for the right reasons. Though, I am sorry to hear about your friends, perhaps they will see they are not helping themselves through acting that way, nor anyone else.
    Brigid wrote: »
    That's a very interesting development. It's sad for him that he has to do more suffering to figure out it's not worth it but it's amazing that you already know that. He was the one who inspired the path in you yet he can't walk it right now and you can. Interesting. The level of maturity is definitely a factor too. I'm very happy for you, Ashley. It's like today's encounter was an affirmation for you. :)

I hope that he finds his way back to the path, and I feel that he somehow will. Though he is trying to dissprove things for himself, he is still affirming them. Like, "I am not sure I can believe this is the right path anymore," followed by "well, if it is, maybe I am not meant to find enlightenment in this life, I am okay with that." I think perhaps he is confused, which is why it is easier for me to see this in him, and continue to follow the path. As he even admitted to, girls are obstucting his viewpoints, and since he admitted this, it shows that he is aware that he is not neccesarilly thinking clearly, and even in doing the wrong thing right now, he knows it. I think if following the four noble truths you can come to see the reality of suffering, which for some reason he seems not to be seeing right now. Perhaps he will. And thanks for the encouragement Brigid. :D
    Ashley,

The middle path does not stop one from experiencing moments of joy or sadness. What it does do is help you develop a method of understanding those moments of hapiness or sadness as exactly what they are, moments. Life is full of highs and lows but these moments do not need to control your life. Hopefully, he will realize this truth one day and understand life for what it truly is. His past actions at least led you to better understand the Dharma and was a catalyst in your path to enlightenment.

-QW

Thank you QW for the reminder, they are moments. :) I was thinking that too... but it seems he would rather soak in the good moments and come crashing back down to the bad if it means getting and expiriencing the highs at their highest. If you put all you have into one moment of happiness, it gives it more meaning than it has, it becomes impermanent to you... that's what i think he means.

But thanks everyone for your thoughts, they were much appreciated. I was in shock a bit yesterday merely because he was so head-strong in his path, and with no warning he choose to do something else for his sack, and that wasn't normally something, as I knew him, he would do.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    And I wouldn't give up on him, Ash. We all experience those times where we get distracted by something and fall off the path for a time, only to wake up later and find our way back.

Jellybean, I understand about your friends. At your age people are trying to figure out who they are and what fits for them in life, so they're willing to try out all kinds of different roles, often for the wrong reasons (to impress somebody else usually). It's a normal part of growing up, so I wouldn't worry about them. If it feels right for them, they'll stick with it, or come back to it some day. If not, at least they got some contact with the Buddha's teachings.

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, thanks Ashley, but oh no! Not the word 'right' again... (but that's a story for another day)...

And thanks Palzang :) During the teenage years teenagers wonder about all sorts of things. I have a lot to find out about myself and it's annoying but... It's a part of life and patience is a vurtue, so I'll have to live with it for the next several years :rolleyes:

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited February 2010
    I love hearing all of your stories! its an amazing thing to find out how many of us are not separate, however together. We are not alone in our journeys.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to share some of my past life and experiences.

I grew up in a christian family myself. Never met my real father till recently, my mother and the person I called father divorced when I was 9 years old. Things were not happy and things were crazy. For years I had suffered dealing with their problems and eventually ended up making my own problems from theirs.

When I was about 12 I had started exploring my spiritual-self. I ended up questioning what was taught to me about religion. I stopped believing in god and Christianity. I was young and really didn't know what to do with myself really. So I met a friend at the age of 14 who was at the same point in life I was. We started learning about energy's and Ki to start off with, then eventually started to learn about wicca. For years I was learning about wicca and still to this day I still keep some of the things I have learned close to my heart.

I told my parents about my spiritual beliefs and they just freaked out, said a lot of nasty things, and everything just was left at that.

I did a lot of religion hopping trying to find some spiritual peace. I am 19 now, and feel I did not start to find my path until about a year ago.

I have learned a lot about consciousness, my mind, and my soul. I have also spent a lot of time on myself with self development. I have spent a lot of my life improving myself, how I act, and defining how I view the things in my life. At one point I was on top of my game, when it comes to feeling complete, however that was years ago.

I now believe in god, but not as an entity or in anyway a christian form, but as an essence of all. I am god, you are god, everything in life is god. The power to create and destroy. I believe in the power of belief. Nothing is wrong and everything is right depending on the viewer. We create things with our consciousness and I also believe that there are different energys everywhere that put things into motion. I believe in a lot of little things that I have learned throughout my life. However I choose not to believe in religion of any form. I believe all religions have things to learn from, but religions as an organization are ridiculous to me. I just recently started learning about Buddhism, which from my perspective is not a religion but a supporter or a lifestyle.

I was in the Navy for a short time, then was discharged right after boot camp. However a friend of mine that I had met there started telling me about Buddhism, So when I got home, I started doing some research. Here I am now! I am excited to be learning again.

It is never too late or never too early to start learning, growing, and developing yourself.

Thank you for your stories!