Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Order of Interbeing

NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I was just wondering about the 14 vows of the order of interbeing. What are those for? Is like an abridged ordination like the NKT one? Are the 14 vows for lay people?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    They are the 14 Mindfulness Trainings, which are an extension of Thich Nhat Hanh's 5 Mindfulness Trainings, and are found here. It is an ordination of sorts (like the 5 are), but I believe it is still at the lay level.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Oh, that is interesting. :-)

Thank you Rayfield. Too bad I don't have a community to practice, that sucks. :-S They have an NKT here but it costs a crapload of money. I rather remain a loner.

I think eventually I'll crawl up into a tower with a lot of Buddhist tomes and practice the Dharma like a crazy lunatic. lol
  • edited February 2010
    I hear you...I actually sit with a Thich Nhat Hanh group, and have received the 5 Mindfulness Trainings...but I feel out-of-place in the group. I'm a bit of a loner myself, and all of the hugging meditation and whatnot that TNH groups practice can be a little strange for me. :p
  • edited February 2010
    Here's some more info:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HKQUZd7eufwC&dq=upaya+thich+nhat+hanh&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=bCmDS6DuKYvusgPE1OmjDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=11&ved=0CDMQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=&f=false

I'm going to an OIB retreat on the Oregon Coast, this weekend. One of our aspirant members lives in Homer Alaska and his mentor in Salem Oregon. They communicate via email and Skype. The aspirant receives teachings via links to Thich Nhat Hanh's dharma talks online and the talks of other OIB Dharma Teachers. You may do the same, just contact Plum Village or any Thich Nhat Hanh group, anywhere in the world!!