Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion

MichelleMichelle Explorer
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Oh....I am really struggling with this one right now. Does anyone else have a hard time showing/feeling compassion for those who seem to have none? I know these are the one's who probably need it the most...but dang...it can be difficult.

Peace,
Michelle

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone else have a hard time showing/feeling compassion for those who seem to have none?

What do you mean? Can you elaborate?
  • edited February 2010
    I need to avoid those who express contempt for others cuz I tend to get really hostile toward those folks. I get the urge to just slap um up side the head.

So, since I obviously haven't worked this out yet, I limit association and sit with the memories of contact working on my own stuff.

You may do the same, I recon.

As a matter of fact, this forum, has been a pretty good place to face my hostile impulses in the face of imagined contempt. The urge to slap shows up in some sharp posts and not actually scaring the stuffing out of others when I turn into a demonic presence, which is quite easy when you're 6'4" 280# scarred-up dog-eared, old war-dog, who can bring-up the kind of intense energy that burns through the eyes and can be felt in emanating waves. Ever been in the presence of a cold blooded killer, ready to act. That's the life-long conditioning I get to transform.

The point is it's my own stuff, not the other's.

The compassion thing is your stuff to work with! You may imagine when you've been in the worst pain you've ever experienced then imagine the other is in that same place, I dunno, it may help.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    It is said that Ghandi would look at any individual for the best the have to offer. I do the same, I look for the good in people.
  • edited February 2010
    one time i was watching some political debate on t.v. and it became more heated. i didn't really care much for what they were talking about, but i still wanted to practice compassion... i put it on mute and any traces of contempt or aversion went away because of how funny it looked because they all became mimes. and when you focus not on what people are saying or even doing, but just look at their face and their body, consider it as something isolated from their speech and their actions, it becomes much easier to look at them as no better or worse than anyone else, and equally lovable, most IMPORTANTLY someone who desires happiness just as anyone else, and their anger or lack of love is like you said a sign meaning exactly that they are deprived of such a thing as real happiness...
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2010
    If you are referring to psychopaths I don't see how one can be compassionate to them as they don't have the fundamental neurocircuitry that humans have. A tiger attacks a smaller animal as it is its nature. One cannot be compassionate towards a tiger for doing what is in its nature.

The common criminals are different and makes mistakes because of ignorance.

Psychopathy (pronounced /saɪˈkɒpəθi/[1][2]) is a personality disorder whose hallmark is a lack of empathy. Researcher Robert Hare, whose Hare Psychopathy Checklist is widely used, describes psychopaths as "intraspecies predators[3][4] who use charisma, manipulation, intimidation, sexual intercourse and violence[5][6][7] to control others and to satisfy their own needs. Lacking in conscience and empathy, they take what they want and do as they please, violating social norms and expectations without guilt or remorse".[8] "What is missing, in other words, are the very qualities that allow a human being to live in social harmony."[9]
    Psychopaths are glib and superficially charming, and many psychopaths are excellent mimics of normal human emotion;[10] some psychopaths can blend in, undetected, in a variety of surroundings, including corporate environments.[11] There is neither a cure nor any effective treatment for psychopathy; there are no medications or other techniques which can instill empathy, and psychopaths who undergo traditional talk therapy only become more adept at manipulating others.[12] The consensus among researchers is that psychopathy stems from a specific neurological disorder which is biological in origin and present from birth.[10] It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths
  • edited February 2010
    ha ha i don't think she is specifically referring to psychopaths! but by jove i would say it's absurd to value one neurocircuitry over another, wouldn't you say old chap? those poor psychopathic neurocircuitries are being deprived of the deepest and profoundest experience there is, absolute love!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Michelle wrote: »
    Oh....I am really struggling with this one right now. Does anyone else have a hard time showing/feeling compassion for those who seem to have none? I know these are the one's who probably need it the most...but dang...it can be difficult.

Peace,
    Michelle

“In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.”
    -HHDL

Of course it's hard to feel and show compassion to these types, but in the context of liberation, what is really happening when an enemy or an evil person makes us angry? It's not really that they make us angry. Rather, it is more that we are seeing parts of ourselves when emotions arise. We are seeing our weakest points. We are seeing our psychological processing of behavior that repulses us and we are seeing the psychological process of repulsion as well. This is a great opportunity for deepening our practice if we can catch ourselves.

I am a big advocate of metta bhavana (loving-kindness) meditation as it can really open us up to the reality that all sentient beings are cycling in a really lowly conscious state. Every angry and selfish person is actually a lost and confused child trying to control an environment that is out of their control. And so am I most of the time. My emotional responses are an attempt to change my environment and put it back in balance. The problem is, these emotions are volatile and lead to unskillful mental, verbal and physical activities.

Anyway, I fail at this a lot, but I've practiced enough to know that I'm just looking at things from the wrong perspective when others make me upset.

Hope this helps in some way.

_/\_
    edited February 2010
    ha ha i don't think she is specifically referring to psychopaths! but by jove i would say it's absurd to value one neurocircuitry over another, wouldn't you say old chap? those poor psychopathic neurocircuitries are being deprived of the deepest and profoundest experience there is, absolute love!

Perhaps you can succeed where others have failed not that one comes across a psychopath that often.
    :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    There is no evidence that people are born psychopathic, although if a parent is psychopathic the chances are higher that offspring will be, but that is explained by nurture. Psychopathy is learned and learned early. Not neccessarily in an environment of material deprivation , but learned in an environment where the person is not valued for themselves, but for that they can do for the group. Essential circuits then fail to join up. Possibly literally.There is evidence that psychopaths and other people with personality disorder can learn, but it is a long hard process. The basic problem is that they have an inbuilt sense of superiority which shields them from ever asking whether a situation might be of their making in whole or in part. To paraphrase Eric Berne, they are ok, we are not ok.
    Which actually means that psychopaths need our compassion greatly, but never from a position of being vulnerable to them.
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010

Peace,
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

A definition of compassion that I have heard in buddhist teachings is that compassion is the wish for another being to be free of suffering. In that case, even a harmful being wants to be free of suffering and is clueless about how to accomplish that. He or she instead continues to create the causes of suffering by harming others.

I had a personal experience with this in the last few years. A woman I had spent a lot of time with to help turned on me and took up being in a relationship with an abusive boyfriend. The boyfriend himself had been a dharma brother, son of a close friend of mine, and active in our buddhist community. Short version of the story, the boyfriend harassed, battered and assaulted me and I was forced to emergency move, sell my house, file a restraining order and talk to the DA about criminal charges.

I've been working with my own mind to feel compassion for these two individuals, both who betrayed me and took advantage of my kindness.

The truth is that I do wish for both of them to be happy, not because I feel such great affection for them. I continue to feel afraid and sad about what happened. But because if these two were truly happy then they would stop harming other beings.
  • edited February 2010
    The practice of compassion is about the person doing the practice not the other. It's about working on one's own being. We cannot change others, they must do their own work. So, if I imagine another being as (insert label) I'm the one doing the labeling and attaching some like, dislike, or neutral attitude toward them.

Whether the other has the capacity to change is not important to the cultivation and expression of compassion. In my last post, I spoke about my own problem with being overwhelmed by the attitude of hostility toward those I imagine as having the characteristic of contempt. This is my problem not their's.

It's like being addicted to alcohol or drugs. If I cannot control the addictive behavior I need to stay away from places where I may associate with others who use those things until I accomplish enough control not to surrender to the habitual behavior.

It's the same with compassion. It's not lack of compassion but addiction/habituation to anger that's at issue. So, until you have control of the habit of being angry, when in contact with those you imagine as having no compassion, stay away from them if you can or find some way to separate yourself mentally from them (dissociate), if you cannot.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I completely agree with Brother Bob and that is why I referenced Ghandi's ability to see the good in others and ignore their bad actions. If we look for good, we are not distracted by bad. That is not to say we should be pushovers or an easy mark, I think it is quite the opposite in fact. If we look for the good in people, we are not blinded by anger and fear so we can better understand them and with that understanding comes compassion; all compassion occurs through true understanding.
  • edited February 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Perhaps you can succeed where others have failed not that one comes across a psychopath that often.
    :)
    pegembra doctor gotama prescribed nothing less than to cultivate loving-kindness and agape for every living being, as a buddhist this should be your goal too, and as a human being you are just as able to succeed as he was, and all the buddhas before us
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »

compassion is the wish for another being to be free of suffering.

In that case, even a harmful being wants to be free of suffering and is clueless about how to accomplish that. He or she instead continues to create the causes of suffering by harming others.
    the being who suffered because of a 'harmful being' has suffered already according to h(is/er) own kamma or in other words that was h(is/er) kamma vipaka

the 'harmful being' is the one who is defenitely going to be suffer in the future because of that harmful action

therefore the 'harmful being' is the one who need our compassion

the Best Wish would be the 'wishing all sentient being be able to get the Right View'
    once one get the Right View one will be able to lookafter oneself
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I've been reading some books by Pema Chodron.

She recommends 'leaning into' that which causes discomfort, in order to look at, even study with a curious eye, our own pain, discomfort and suffering. Someone or something who makes you upset would be a great object for this. The idea is to simply study yourself, even if it is anger or judgement, demonizing the person or whatever.

She also says this is why you need to have compassion for yourself, because when we look at this we won't like it. We need to take a very gentle approach...
    edited February 2010
    pegembra doctor gotama prescribed nothing less than to cultivate loving-kindness and agape for every living being, as a buddhist this should be your goal too, and as a human being you are just as able to succeed as he was, and all the buddhas before us

There is a growing discussion among researchers to suggest there may be a genetic influence that creates a psychopathic personality. The psychopath may lack the ability to physically feel what others identify as the physical sensation of guilt. They can feel fear, anger, sadness in the moment but not guilt for what they did or what they are about to do. Some sociologists believe that a sexually promiscuous psychopath who can live off others is a survivor and may represent one of many genes for survival in the human species. Even more surprising has been the observation that many adult psychopaths do not seem to benefit from support, counseling or therapy and may in fact commit crimes again and sooner because of it. Research using brain scanning technology has revealed that the brain of a psychopath functions and processes information differently. One famous brain imaging study showed that psychopaths can remain calm looking photos of dead bodies in automobile accidents where as other people were clearly upset. They don't use their brain they way others do. This suggests that they may be physically different from normal people.

http://www.crisiscounseling.com/Articles/Psychopath.htm

I stand corrected as I was under the impression that psychopaths has no fear, sadness or anger (like Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs) ie. they are free from suffering that they inflict on others unlike common criminals who clearly deserves our compassion.
    :o
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010

Peace,
    Michelle
    Me! Me! I do!

Oh man, do I ever have a hard time with that one. It's one of my buttons.

When I come across contemptuous people it triggers deep seated anger in me. It's probably because when I was growing up my father and older brother had a bad habit of behaving with contempt and scorn toward others and when it was directed at me for whatever reason it often left me feeling deeply humiliated.

It didn't seem to matter to them that I was a young child. Their self-loathing was so great and their overcompensating arrogance was so ingrained that they didn't seem to notice the effect their ridicule and disdain had on others. On top of that, my siblings and I were forbidden to show anger of any kind towards my father so when he humiliated me I either had to sneak off to my room and scream into my pillow or swallow it and hide my anger and shame behind a smiling face. Very frustrating.

Nowadays when someone deliberately belittles me I hardly ever get those feelings of humiliation, which is thanks mostly to Buddhism. But the anger is definitely still there and it still bubbles up whether the contempt is directed at me or someone else. I understand intellectually why some people might behave that way towards others but that knowledge alone doesn't help me. I just have to keep looking for the correct perspective, the Right View of it, and hope I find it someday soon.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    There is a growing discussion among researchers to suggest there may be a genetic influence that creates a psychopathic personality. The psychopath may lack the ability to physically feel what others identify as the physical sensation of guilt. They can feel fear, anger, sadness in the moment but not guilt for what they did or what they are about to do. Some sociologists believe that a sexually promiscuous psychopath who can live off others is a survivor and may represent one of many genes for survival in the human species. Even more surprising has been the observation that many adult psychopaths do not seem to benefit from support, counseling or therapy and may in fact commit crimes again and sooner because of it. Research using brain scanning technology has revealed that the brain of a psychopath functions and processes information differently. One famous brain imaging study showed that psychopaths can remain calm looking photos of dead bodies in automobile accidents where as other people were clearly upset. They don't use their brain they way others do. This suggests that they may be physically different from normal people.

http://www.crisiscounseling.com/Articles/Psychopath.htm

I stand corrected as I was under the impression that psychopaths has no fear, sadness or anger (like Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs) ie. they are free from suffering that they inflict on others unlike common criminals who clearly deserves our compassion.
    :o
    The research is not conclusive pegembara. The scanning technology certainly does show that the brain of a psychopath functions differently from their cultural norm. What is not clear is whether this is genetic or whether it is due to differently configured neural circuits due to faulty learning as discussed earlier. The act of learning is what semi hardwires our nervous systems and neural pathways. This may leave the possibility of relearning through cognitive means. Although it has to be said that at the moment results are hopeful but not overwhelmingly so. The (rather superficial ) article you quote from is also slightly alarmist. The actuality is that full blown psychopathy whether leading to violent behaviour or not, is rare.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi Citta,

I just wanted to say that even if behavioral challenges have their genesis in the womb there is still a great chance that relearning can take place through cognitive means. One example among many would be autism.

And the second thing I wanted to say was that I just read an article in Reuters Health regarding the newest studies in psychopathology which indicate that it is more common than previously thought, not less.

That's all. Carry on! :D
    edited February 2010
    Myths of Psychopathy

1. All psychopaths are violent. Research by psychologists such as Randall T. Salekin, now at the University of Alabama, indicates that psychopathy is a risk factor for future physical and sexual violence. Moreover, at least some serial killers—for example, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Dennis Rader, the infamous “BTK” (Bind, Torture, Kill) murderer—have manifested numerous psychopathic traits, including superficial charm and a profound absence of guilt and empathy.

Nevertheless, most psychopaths are not violent, and most violent people are not psychopaths. In the days following the horrific Virginia Tech shootings of April 16, 2007, many newspaper commentators described the killer, Seung-Hui Cho, as “psychopathic.” Yet Cho exhibited few traits of psychopathy: those who knew him described him as markedly shy, withdrawn and peculiar.

2. All psychopaths are psychotic. In contrast to people with psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia, who often lose contact with reality, psychopaths are almost always rational. They are well aware that their ill-advised or illegal actions are wrong in the eyes of society but shrug off these concerns with startling nonchalance.

3. Psychopathy is untreatable. In the popular HBO series The Sopranos, the therapist (Dr. Melfi) terminated psychotherapy with Tony Soprano because her friend and fellow psychologist persuaded her that Tony, whom Dr. Melfi concluded was a classic psychopath, was untreatable. Aside from the fact that Tony exhibited several behaviors that are decidedly nonpsychopathic (such as his loyalty to his family and emotional attachment to a group of ducks that had made his swimming pool their home), Dr. Melfi’s pessimism may have been unwarranted. Although psychopaths are often unmotivated to seek treatment, research by psychologist Jennifer Skeem of the University of California, Irvine, and her colleagues suggests that psychopaths may benefit as much as nonpsychopaths from psychological treatment. Even if the core personality traits of psychopaths are exceedingly difficult to change, their criminal behaviors may prove more amenable to treatment.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-psychopath-means&page=2
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Hi Citta,

I just wanted to say that even if behavioral challenges have their genesis in the womb there is still a great chance that relearning can take place through cognitive means. One example among many would be autism.

And the second thing I wanted to say was that I just read an article in Reuters Health regarding the newest studies in psychopathology which indicate that it is more common than previously thought, not less.

That's all. Carry on! :D
    What is a source of hope Bridget is that indeed what might appear to be hard wiring may be modifiable. I think that there is a growing body of evidence that indicates this.
    Even if psychopathy is more common than previous thought, and that might indicate changes in classification criteria or data collection, it is still a question of whether it is rare or very rare.:)
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited February 2010
    Oh gosh! What a wealth of information... I am going to need it all. Hubby had hip replacement yesterday and...well...lets just say my compassion and pateince will be tested.

Looking forward to having a moment to come back and thoroughly read, absorb, and respond.

Thank you!
    Peace,
    Michelle
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Simplify wrote: »
    I've been reading some books by Pema Chodron.

She recommends 'leaning into' that which causes discomfort, in order to look at, even study with a curious eye, our own pain, discomfort and suffering. Someone or something who makes you upset would be a great object for this. The idea is to simply study yourself, even if it is anger or judgement, demonizing the person or whatever.

She also says this is why you need to have compassion for yourself, because when we look at this we won't like it. We need to take a very gentle approach...
    I love Pema Chodron's approach. I've been listening to her CD's and I never tire of her. They live in my car and I listen over and over again and continue to hear something new. I've particularly benefited by her teachigns on Learning to Stay.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Citta wrote: »
    What is a source of hope Bridget is that indeed what might appear to be hard wiring may be modifiable. I think that there is a growing body of evidence that indicates this.
    Even if psychopathy is more common than previous thought, and that might indicate changes in classification criteria or data collection, it is still a question of whether it is rare or very rare.:)
    Yes, I really do marvel at brain elasticity. I also rely heavily on it in my attempts to reprogram my own brain in order to deal with a panic disorder it has.:)
  • edited February 2010
    I have come across Pema Chodron's name in reference at least a half-dozen times this week in my literary wanderings. I very much want to pick up one of her books, but I hesitate right now because I have a tendency in the past to overload on books and then have a hard time finishing one because of the desire to pick up the others. For the last year I've been trying this radical experiment of reading one book from beginning to end. It's kinda cool.

But on the specific topic....there is an almost palpable resistance or unease in me on the topics of compassion and loving-kindness, and I suspect its because on some level it feels like one of those "can't do it, why bother?" areas for me. At times I've wondered if I'm capable of developing compassion on the level that I often admire in some other people. I developed a level of emotional detachment early in life, and while there have been definite shifts in that, I do at times have a hard time "connecting."

Still, the truth is that any progress I've made (or choose to perceive that I've made!), in learning, in living, in growing spiritually, in becoming a kinder person -- all of it has come just a baby step at a time.

So now at the end of my morning meditation when I extend wishes for the people I love, I am including one person who arouses ambivalence or animosity or judgment in me, extending the very same prayers to them.

Some mornings I really don't want to do it!! :lol: And I find the feelings it evokes in me to be interesting, as they are seldom the same (duh).

Baby steps work so much better for me than idealistic (and unrealistic) expectations.

May all beings be happy and free from suffering. Really. :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Yes, I really do marvel at brain elasticity. I also rely heavily on it in my attempts to reprogram my own brain in order to deal with a panic disorder it has.:)
    How interesting, perhaps at some point you could share your experiences about this frequently met- with condition.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Michelle and all,

I've just come across this thread now -and so I thought this might be helpful.

youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixmba3jAEEk

Kind wishes,

D.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Kristen wrote: »
    I have come across Pema Chodron's name in reference at least a half-dozen times this week in my literary wanderings. I very much want to pick up one of her books, but I hesitate right now because I have a tendency in the past to overload on books and then have a hard time finishing one because of the desire to pick up the others. For the last year I've been trying this radical experiment of reading one book from beginning to end. It's kinda cool.

But on the specific topic....there is an almost palpable resistance or unease in me on the topics of compassion and loving-kindness, and I suspect its because on some level it feels like one of those "can't do it, why bother?" areas for me. At times I've wondered if I'm capable of developing compassion on the level that I often admire in some other people. I developed a level of emotional detachment early in life, and while there have been definite shifts in that, I do at times have a hard time "connecting."

Still, the truth is that any progress I've made (or choose to perceive that I've made!), in learning, in living, in growing spiritually, in becoming a kinder person -- all of it has come just a baby step at a time.

So now at the end of my morning meditation when I extend wishes for the people I love, I am including one person who arouses ambivalence or animosity or judgment in me, extending the very same prayers to them.

Some mornings I really don't want to do it!! :lol: And I find the feelings it evokes in me to be interesting, as they are seldom the same (duh).

Baby steps work so much better for me than idealistic (and unrealistic) expectations.

May all beings be happy and free from suffering. Really. :)

The fact they we can LEARN to be more compassionate and kindly seems odd doesnt it ? We tend to think some people are just born that way, and to some extent its true. But many of us need to practise those qualities in the same way that we can develop certain muscle groups by exercising. The exercises to strengthen our compassion muscles are called the Brahma Viharas. The vid. posted by Dazzle give a good intro to the Brahma Viharas. Thank you Dazzle.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited February 2010
    To the original post and poster, if we have a hard time showing/feeling compassion for any sentient being, there is indeed much work to be done. That is not a bad thing, that is just the way it is. Good luck in this work. Your path is rich in value before you.

Namaste
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Someone famous (I forget who) said something like, 'I've never regretted anything I've done out of compassion.'

I imagine the work that goes into developing compassion is never regretted either.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Citta wrote: »
    How interesting, perhaps at some point you could share your experiences about this frequently met- with condition.
    There are some posts scattered around about it but essentially it's a pretty simple, although repetitive exercise. Maybe I'll start a thread about it since anxiety/panic disorders do seem quite prevalent here. It's no surprise to me why so many people suffering from those disorders have come to the end of their suffering rope and have come to Buddhism. I told my mother during a panic attack when I was 10 years old that it was one of the worst things a human could suffer and that I'd say the same thing when I was 35. At 42 it still holds true.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I am amazed at some of my co-workers sometimes. If I show compassion to a patient, even one who is a "frequent flyer" and who is addicted to pain medicine or something else, they think I'm "soft" or something. It can be frustrating in that situation, knowing that in many cases they only get sick because they want attention and/or pain medications, but they still deserve my compassion. It's amazing how many times people in a caring, compassionate profession aren't either.

Likewise, some physicians I work with can be... well, I'll be charitable and say they can be a "challenge" to work with sometimes. In fact, sometimes they can be downright nasty. But I know that kind of behavior is not about me, it's a problem they have (much like the posts about abusive personal relationships). I try really hard to have compassion for these people as well. Sometimes it works and sometimes it takes a while.

Mtns
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Not reinforcing someones addictive behaviours while still having an open heart for them IS compassionate isnt it Mountain ? We can even refuse someone in a way that causes that person to gain some insight. Compassion is not about about putting on a special voice or facial expression, its about trying to see clearly what the real need is, and sometimes getting it right and sometimes getting it wrong. In my experience many western Buddhists think that a permanent soppy grin and being passive -aggressive equals compassion. Real compassion can be really hard headed.
    Reducing the complexity of human behaviour to a few simple nostrums is not compassionate. Telling people that all they need do is pull themselves together, or relax, or even all they need to do is meditate, is not always compassionate on its own.
  • edited March 2010

Interesting question: "having a hard time showing compassion?'.It initiates a further contemplation for me.

1.Do we 'show' compassion ? If we chose to show or not show is it not something that is coming from the 'thought process' which may or may not be authentic?

2.Extrapolating from the scattered Buddhist literature, Did ever Buddha divide people into the ones worthy of compassion and those who are not worthy?No.

3. Is compassion a polar thing? can you be compassionate towards one person and not compassionate towards other?Interestingly attachment,craving,romantic love etc are polar.If we categorize compassion as a polar feeling then are we not seeing at it the same way as we see other casual emotions.

4.Pure compassion is obvious(and only) interpersonal relation between a perfected being and others. us being degenerate 'believers' in the idea of compassion 'choose' our sphere of compassion according to our own volitions.

5 At any case if 'the compassion ideal' is to be set for the sake of setting an ideal, it makes more sense to make it 'unconditional compassion' for all rather than saying 'compassion for certain subset'.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Yes, Michelle, I too get impatient with certain types of behavior. Not only do I get annoyed, but I also have to fight feeling superior to them ... a double-whammy of ignorance on my part. But not impossible to work with. There are two concepts that are key ...

(1) Every act of "bad" behavior is an attempt to avoid or cope with an underlying discomfort. This applies not only to the other's bad behavior, but also to my own reactions to it.

(2) I cannot begin to really "see" another until I have acknowledged and set aside my own reactions and poor attempts to cope with them.

When someone annoys me, I try to see and set aside my own reactions (not always successfully). If I can do that, then I can observe the other person more deeply ... and I always see some form of agitation (pain, helplessness, pride) that lies underneath their behavior.

If I can do this and really "see" the other person's discomfort, then and only then am I able to generate compassion.

Because we are all the same ... as Buddhism teaches, we are all only trying to be happy.

I hope things go well for your husband and his surgery.