Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Daily Checklist

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi there,

I have been trying to introduce Buddhist practice to my daily life, and the adjustment has been rough on me. I go through periods where I do very well, then without realizing it I get completely away from it. I've tried researching different ways to successfully begin buddhist practice, and have not come up with any concrete methods to do so. In thinking about it, I had the idea that it would be beneficial for me if I had a daily checklist of things I could ponder at the end of the night. For example, "How did I practice right speech today?" or something of the sort.

So with that in mind, I thought I would pose the question to the forum: What would be on your daily checklist to assure good/mindful practice?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Going for refuge Morning and Evening.

Memorising the Eightfold Path and finding out what it all fundamentally means,
    and condensing it into one word:

Mindfulness.

Wearing an elastic wristband, with those little square beads on it, with letters on the faces, spelling M-I-N-D-F-U-L-N-E-S-S

Simplify.
    Don't load your life with too much stuff to do, too many challenges to meet.
    Shed, don't accumulate.
    It's all about letting go, and lightening up.
  • edited March 2010
    The Five Precepts is a good daily "basic" checklist to see whether ones deeds, speech and thoughts for the day were skillful or unskillful:

The Five Precepts

1. To abstain from harming or killing any living being.
    (Instead, practice loving-kindness and compassion.)
    2. To abstain from taking what is not given.
    (Instead, practice honesty and generosity.)
    3. To abstain from sexual misconduct.
    (Instead, practice responsibility and restraint.)
    4. To abstain from lying and false speech.
    (Instead, practice truthfulness and pleasant speech.)
    5. To abstain from intoxicants that cause heedlessness.
    (Instead, practice self control and mindfulness.)

The precepts are not commandments; they are training rules we take upon ourselves to observe. We observe them not because of the fear of punishment but because we realize that such actions harm others as well as ourselves.
    :)