Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

can i have a buddhist funeral

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
i was wondering what will happen to my body in the western world when i die. Here in england its mostly christian based.
As a buddhist i would like my body to be left for ten days, then disposed of on a funeral pyre.
anybody know the laws on this in a western world.:rolleyes:

Comments

• edited March 2010
    In UK you can now have a pyre. The law has just been passed about a month ago.
  • edited March 2010
    thanks thats good to here, what about my body not being moved for ten days which is more important, that law will proberly be quite tricky.
  • edited March 2010
    Get embalmed or put in a fridge, they can hold bodies for that long waiting autopsies (sp?).

Why 10? why not 9 or 11. Where does this idea come from?
  • edited March 2010
    tony, what if im not dead, just mastered the art of meditation, i wouldent want any outside aggravation to aggitate my mind, which wouldent help me to a good rebirth.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Louise,

Apart from 10 days in a mortuary and a funeral pyre thereafter, are there any other "buddhist funeral" formalities that will be performed?

Just curious....
  • edited March 2010
    louise wrote: »
    tony, what if im not dead, just mastered the art of meditation, i wouldent want any outside aggravation to aggitate my mind, which wouldent help me to a good rebirth.

Be like a Victorian and ask someone to bleed you before they burn yea :lol:

I want the music from "Rhubarb and Custard" played when I go down.
  • edited March 2010
    thanks thats good to here, what about my body not being moved for ten days which is more important, that law will proberly be quite tricky.

Hi Louise,

Where did you get the idea that your body shouldn't be moved for 10 days ?

In Tibetan Buddhism its believed that it should be undisturbed for 3 days - but I've never heard if 10 before.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I hope you have a good time at your funeral, whether Buddhist or not ;)

And the later, the better :)
  • edited March 2010
    dazzle i have it in my head 10 days, i dont know why, well anyways i want to make sure that i have know need for my body.
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited March 2010
    You can have family/sangha say specific practices (ideally the practice you have been connected to most closely in this life) for 49 days.

There is a practice that can be performed by someone in retreat to purify any hell realm karma. I would put that in a will and designate offerings.

That probably sounds absurd since so many of you don't ascribe to any teachings on rebirth.
  • edited March 2010
    I hope you have a good time at your funeral, whether Buddhist or not ;)

And the later, the better :)

i intend to, the reason it all sounds glum is im thinking about writing my will cause you never know, and i want my wishes to be legal:o
  • edited March 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    You can have family/sangha say specific practices (ideally the practice you have been connected to most closely in this life) for 49 days.

There is a practice that can be performed by someone in retreat to purify any hell realm karma. I would put that in a will and designate offerings.

That probably sounds absurd since so many of you don't ascribe to any teachings on rebirth.

thanks skydancer, a good rebirth is what i intend to have or what is the point of practing meditation to stable my mind for the point of death.:crazy:
  • edited March 2010
    Its possible to arrange Tibetan Buddhist funerals in the UK and I'm sure it would be possible with the other Buddhist traditions too.

If you are intending to write something like that into a will, you should contact different centres to see what's available, Louise.

• edited March 2010
    thanks dazzle
    edited March 2010
    You can have the Akshobya practice said. Google Mahakaruna Foundation or Chagdud Gonpa.

Since the practices are said in Tibet the cost is quite reasonable.
  • edited March 2010
    You can have the Akshobya practice said. Google Mahakaruna Foundation or Chagdud Gonpa.

Since the practices are said in Tibet the cost is quite reasonable.

thanks skydancer, i will google thease , my relatives just laugh at me when i say this is how i want my funeral to go, but since so many of my friends have passed and not got what they wanted, i thought planning now and making sure i get what i would like and looking into how and who will help me , must start now, also who will conduct my service, im not sure in england that you can have anyother person conducting the funeral other than a priest, so thats next on my list, gosh i sound so morbid, :lol:
    edited March 2010
    thanks skydancer, i will google thease , my relatives just laugh at me when i say this is how i want my funeral to go, but since so many of my friends have passed and not got what they wanted, i thought planning now and making sure i get what i would like and looking into how and who will help me , must start now, also who will conduct my service, im not sure in england that you can have anyother person conducting the funeral other than a priest, so thats next on my list, gosh i sound so morbid, :lol:
    I think you sound realistic, not morbid. One way to fully enjoy the life we have is to recognize it's impermanent.

Right now I have no formal plans because I'm thinking if my partner survives me she will take care of my Buddhist 'funeral'.
  • edited March 2010
    I think you sound realistic, not morbid. One way to fully enjoy the life we have is to recognize it's impermanent.

Right now I have no formal plans because I'm thinking if my partner survives me she will take care of my Buddhist 'funeral'.

thats good to know you have a partner who will grant out your wishes, im still trying to let my partner know how it feels when the path you take can bring you much joy, hes sooo misrable and stressed i just wish he could see it dosent have to be that way, but he is like a blinkerd horse, at least my children are intrested a little to learn new ways to make them and others feel happy inside.:)
  • edited March 2010
    i was wondering what will happen to my body in the western world when i die. Here in england its mostly christian based.
    As a buddhist i would like my body to be left for ten days, then disposed of on a funeral pyre.
    anybody know the laws on this in a western world.:rolleyes:
    Of course you can have a Buddhist funeral. There is actually a book coming out in a few months that explains how to do it.
    And its only 3 days, not ten.
    peace
    sn