Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do I set up a poll please?

edited April 2010 in NewBuddhist.com

mat

Comments

• edited April 2010
    You create a new thread, pick the option to submit a poll with it, and the next page should give you the options for the poll. Please tell me it won't be one about rebirth? ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    No, I'm telling you it won't be one about re-birth. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    You create a new thread, pick the option to submit a poll with it, and the next page should give you the options for the poll. Please tell me it won't be one about rebirth? ;)

Thanks Stephen, it was actually going to be about rebirth, but not its truth or falsity, but the dictator, she says no:)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I agree with Stephen and federica, and I don't think there is any justification for calling others names within this forum.
  • edited April 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    I agree with Stephen and federica, and I don't think there is any justification for calling others names within this forum.

It is not a name it is a description, as she will admit, she decides what gets closed and what stays open.
  • edited April 2010
    federica is one of the most patient and tolerant people I've met on these forums, and if she has to play the part of moderator and put a stop to anything it's after all of that patience has been exhausted. She's a good cop, which is to say she's a good person and she isn't abusive of her position. :) That being said, she's a moderator for a reason; and that reason is so she can put a stop to activities that we undertake wrongfully without knowing any better. She's entrusted by whomever to do this, and we should be thankful that she is *not* a dictator by a long stretch.
  • edited April 2010
    federica is one of the most patient and tolerant people I've met on these forums, and if she has to play the part of moderator and put a stop to anything it's after all of that patience has been exhausted.

Go and fread the last 4 threads this person has closed.
    She's a good cop, which is to say she's a good person and she isn't abusive of her position. :)

I am sure she is lovely. She is, however, abusing her permission to protect her views.

It is morally and dharmically wrong.
    That being said, she's a moderator for a reason; and that reason is so she can put a stop to activities that we undertake wrongfully without knowing any better.

Please think about what you just said within the context of this neutral internet disucssion forum.

She's entrusted by whomever to do this, and we should be thankful that she is *not* a dictator by a long stretch.

You would see her differently had you been subject to the hostile, confrontational, belligerent bulling she has subjected me to, please I implore you, look at our exhanges on the closed threads and see what I speak of.

She acts like a teenage boy with her finger on the button.

I cannot believe its allowed to go on.

Mat
  • edited April 2010
    Mat, I've been *in* most of these threads that you're talking about. This isn't a place where you can discuss anything you want as much as you want without oversight. The mods are here for that oversight. If you talk about it like it's wrong for the mods to do anything here, then you forget entirely that you're on a private forum (and a nice one at that) and that the very job of the moderators is to keep it from becoming a cesspool.

If you insist on your rights and keep saying they're wrong, etc., it will end badly for you. Stop and think about that, because I'm trying to help you with this just as I was trying to help you before. You are not being mindful, you are being stubborn. I don't intend to be mean, but you're acting a little crazy.

I was the head administrator (with about a dozen other admins and a coder) and part-time coder for an online game for 7 years. This is a Buddhist forum, and so it's more lenient, but there is still a point where you must acknowledge that you are not the machine; it is not you, not subject to your whims or views. People can complain about the police all they want, but their job is necessary. So are the moderators and what they do.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Mat, if you have a complaint to make, please feel free to contact the Forum Administrators.
    They are Brian and Lincoln.
    They are privy to all and any threads here, whether they have been deleted or closed.
    If you wish to approach them, please feel free to do so.
    I would welcome it.
    I really don't mind.
    But On-forum criticism of Moderators and their decisions, is unacceptable.
    there are correct channels to follow and this is not the way to go.
    I suggest you do as I have advised.
    Thank you.
  • edited April 2010
    Mat, I've been *in* most of these threads that you're talking about.

Then you will see that for the main I have been respectful, polite and peacful.

Or show me where I haven't.
    This isn't a place where you can discuss anything you want as much as you want without oversight.

Fine, then let me have it from the site's owner that they don't wan't the idea that buddha saw and taught rebirth was Wrong View discussed on this forum.

I will respect it just as I did on the now closed e-sanga forum.

The mods are here for that oversight. If you talk about it like it's wrong for the mods to do anything here, then you forget entirely that you're on a private forum (and a nice one at that) and that the very job of the moderators is to keep it from becoming a cesspool.

I agree. However that is now what was happeing in these closed threads,especially recently. I have had threatening PM fro her and pms of support from others.

I am not in the wrong here.
    You are not being mindful, you are being stubborn.

I completely disagree. You are simply wrong there. really, ask your self who it is who refused to entertain even the possiblity...
    I don't intend to be mean, but you're acting a little crazy.

I have thought many times of jacking it in with this forum. It has caused me so much drain and strain.

Often I come away from the computer thinking "Am i mad here? Why are they thinking like this?"

I have talked it through with my wife on a number of times, she supports my resolve not to give up just because of what is a constant stream of directed negativity from the majority of vocal people here.

I now feel more than ever that nobody else is pushing this enquiry online and I think it needs to be investigated more.

I am very very far from crazy.

This is a Buddhist forum, and so it's more lenient,

I came here because this forum claims to be non secular and for making dharma more accessible. If you wish me to stop talking about my theories, as said, persuade the owner to tell us all so in public.

Thanks

mat
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    I have thought many times of jacking it in with this forum. It has caused me so much drain and strain.
    Mat,

please understand that it is you who have caused yourself so much drain and strain.

Nobody can make you feel angry, peaceful, sad etc... only you can.
    only you ever did, even if you never realized.

you will understand this if you practice Buddhist meditation, eventually you will come to this realization.
  • edited April 2010
    I've done the best I could, I think. And I've kept with it for longer than some might.

You wouldn't listen to reason on the subjects/threads that were closed. For that, you had your hand slapped. Now, you're trying to bite that hand. If we're unable to learn, we don't understand how we're wrong and we pass the buck. This is an indication of a bigger problem and I admit I've failed in helping.

Sorry. I'm out...
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Then you will see that for the main I have been respectful, polite and peacful.

Or show me where I haven't.
    When I called you a domineering asshole, you copped to it, justifying it in terms of your incapacity to "get you to doubt anything."
  • edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    When I called you a domineering asshole, you copped to it, justifying it in terms of your incapacity to "get you to doubt anything."

Please dont misquote me:
    Yes yes, again, I can see why you would say that. All i can say is you misread me. But if I cant even get you to doubt anything I am hardly going to convince you or anyone that I have much more humility than you assume.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2010
    She is, however, abusing her permission to protect her views.
    My perspective is that you're abusing my forum to protect your view.
    OK. Start your own forum and tell the world. Blogger takes about 30 seconds to sign up for. Knock yourself out.
    You would see her differently had you been subject to the hostile, confrontational, belligerent bulling she has subjected me to
    And you would see her differently if you'd had the pleasure of working with her for the last six years.

She acts like a teenage boy with her finger on the button.
    That was the sound of the line being crossed. You're a hot post away from being banned.

We're done here.
This discussion has been closed.