Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is "evil" just a given (in earliest Buddhism) ?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
... I was very curious about the developments of the idea of 'Evil', the moral 'notional paradigm'. Any assessment of it within 'Buddhism", (in Buddhist teachings)? Evil remains unquestioned ?

Balavagga contains: 'An evil deed, when done, doesn't — like ready milk — come out right away. It follows the fool, smoldering like a fire hidden in ashes.'"
There's no jhana for one with no discernment, no discernment for one with no jhana. But one with both jhana & discernment: he's on the verge of Unbinding. A young monk who/should strive 'in the Awaken One's teaching', brightening the world.

[In the description of a Brahmin, they were talked about in moral terms]

Brahmins?, [they who] expel sensual passions.
Knowing the ending of fabrications
A Brahmin whose "unshackled, carefree; he's what I call a brahmin.
He's called a brahmin for having 'banished his evil'
.. having forsaken his own impurities".
For the person from whom would learn the Dharmma taught by 'the Rightly Self-Awaken One'; you should honor him with respect-- as a Brahmin, the flame for a sacrifice.

My brief inquiry assumes within Buddhist thought, the presence of evil is just a given (See:Title)"?
ps -- Nobody is asking about whether it even exists?

:

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think the first thing you need to do is look at the words which are being translated as "evil" and the contexts in which they're being used. There are people here who know some Pali, and may be able to help.
  • edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I think the first thing you need to do is look at the words which are being translated as "evil" and the contexts in which they're being used. There are people here who know some Pali, and may be able to help.

Wouldnt there be a Buddhist 'moral' dimension implied on concepts of "Evil" ?

=======
    ..If we are clearly seeing this world "Sacca-Dhamma"
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Wouldnt there be a 'moral' dimension implied on concepts of Buddhist "Evil"
    When a translator makes a translation from Pali or Sanskrit to English, they sometimes have to choose English words that are in some way similar to the original word in meaning, but not identical. You are reading the word "evil" and assuming a meaning that isn't necessarily the meaning of the original text. As 5B said:
  • edited April 2010
    Evil remains unquestioned ?
    Wasnt there some 'Quotes' provided from the Balavagga /Dhammapada at the beginning ..? You'd rightly say this is a basic question of: "Is there such a thing as Evil" See the post script.

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think you're misunderstanding. Fivebells suggested looking at the Pali words being translated as "evil" to start. Context is important and translations will always be flawed.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Good topic. I do not have time to post now.

Buddha was concerned with suffering & harm and remedying these things.

"Evil" is harm, that which causes suffering, pain & psychological degredation.

Generally the word is kusula or akusala (one of them), which literally means "that which must be cut".

The general translation is "unskilful", which I think (not sure) is similar to the word 'sin', which means 'that which misses the mark'.

Nice thread for doing some research.

:)
  • edited April 2010
    I don't know about early Buddhism in the historical sense, but the concept of evil doesn't even exist in Theravada and Mahayana philosophy. The scriptures only use the word in a loose sense.
  • edited April 2010
    the concept of evil
    Assuming I am missing the point. The english translations use the term evil. I appreciate 'the scholarly' work done in some of the english translations. So unless I am missing something . . .

unskilful

:) Unskilful always read to me like a bit of commentary. I wasnt aware of that sort of usage
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'd venture to say that Buddhism does not concieve of evil in the same manner that it is considered in Judeo-christian-Islamic texts.

'Evil' implies some sort of permanence.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Unskilful always read to me like a bit of commentary. I wasnt aware of that sort of usage

In the context of actions (kamma), the Pali tern kusala, often translated as "skillful" or "wholesome," basically means that which is not conducive to harm and pain, but to benefit and pleasure (AN 2.19). It denotes doing something well, such as in the case of playing a lute (see AN 6.55). The Pali term akusala (composed of the negative prefix "a-" + kusala), often translated as "unskillful" or "unwholesome," basically means the opposite, or that which is not conducive to benefit and pleasure, but to harm and pain.
    edited April 2010

The Pali word that's usually translated as "evil" is papa, which can also be translated as "bad," "demerit" or "wrong action" depending on the context. It seems to me that papa has a stronger, more negative connotation than akusala, but they are more or less synonymous.
    edited April 2010
    My brief inquiry assumes within Buddhist thought, the presence of evil is just a given (See:Title)"?
    ps -- Nobody is asking about whether it even exists?

Philosophically speaking, Buddhism is basically empirical and pragmatic in nature. Things like "good" and "evil" aren't really given any sort of ontological status in the suttas.

For example, in regard to actions, bad actions are deemed "bad" or "unskillful" if they lead to to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both. Good actions, on the other hand, are deemed "good" or "skillful" if they don't lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both (MN 61). In other words, these are descriptive labels that are limited to observable qualities and experiences (adjectives), not self-existent entities (nouns).
  • edited April 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    The Pali word that's usually translated as "evil" is papa, which can also be translated as "bad," "demerit" or "wrong action" depending on the context. It seems to me that papa has a stronger, more negative connotation than akusala.
    haha , papa is evil
    ]Philosophically speaking, Buddhism is basically empirical and pragmatic in nature. Things like "good" and "evil" aren't really given any sort of ontological status in the suttas.
    what is ontological status? this may be a confusing question but is it different from empiricism?
    edited April 2010
    haha , papa is evil

:D
    what is ontological status? this may be a confusing question but is it different from empiricism?

Ontology is the metaphysics of being and existence. Empiricism, on the other hand, relies on direct observation and experience. So in this sense, Buddhism doesn't deal with the ontological status of good and evil, i.e., whether they exist in any concrete sense. Instead, it deals with good and evil on the basis of how the results of our actions are experienced—not only by ourselves, but by others as well. That's the way I see it, at least.
    edited April 2010
    In the west, the idea of evil comes from a number of sources, among them the Zoroastrian understanding of cosmic history as the struggle between light and dark, and Jewish concepts of purity and impurity. This lead to the concept of evil as an objectively real force that we are individually powerless to combat, but which will eventually be defeated by the force of good, and which we can defeat in the short term by allying ourselves with good.

In Buddhism, evil is essentially the absence of right view. It doesn't exist independently of the ignorance of unenlightened individuals. Ignorance is sometimes objectified as Mara, and there are examples in Buddhist literature of individuals having debates with Mara, but Mara is defeated by attaining right view, not by invoking the power of good.
  • edited April 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    When a translator makes a translation from Pali or Sanskrit to English, they sometimes have to choose English words that are in some way similar to the original word in meaning, but not identical.

And let us not forget that there is not a single word in the Cannon that we can know the meaning the Buddha had in mind or voice.

I find this fact much more profound than some of you funkateers do:)

Ubuntu,

Mat
    edited April 2010
    The buddha spoke of the defilement (kilesa), which are the roots of evil.
    4. "And what, friends, is the unwholesome, what is the root of the unwholesome?

Killing living beings is unwholesome; taking what is not given is unwholesome; misconduct in sensual pleasures is unwholesome; false speech is unwholesome; malicious speech is unwholesome; harsh speech is unwholesome; gossip is unwholesome; covetousness is unwholesome; ill will is unwholesome; wrong view is unwholesome. This is called the unwholesome.

5. "And what is the root of the unwholesome? Greed is a root of the unwholesome; hate is a root of the unwholesome; delusion is a root of the unwholesome. This is called the root of the unwholesome.

Sammaditthi Sutta: The Discourse on Right View

zxtqmh.gif:angry: :buck:
    edited April 2010
    But, to understand fundamentally, on the most primal level, that 'evil' is not something 'willed' or intentionally done is essential. Defilement or kilesa are simply natural elements (dhamma dhatu). They are a part of nature but rooted in ignorance, 'not-knowing' or spiritual blindness.

An enlightened being has infinite understanding, forgiveness & compassion. Why? They understand many things are not within the control of all people.

If this understanding is not held, in our eye will remain a log, seeing the specks in the eyes of others.
    Bhikkhus, sensual thoughts arise with a source, not without a source; thought of ill will arises with a source, not without a source; thought of harming arises with a source, not without a source. And how is this so?

In dependence on the sensuality element there arises sensual perception; in dependence on the sensual perception there arises sensual intention; in dependence on the sensual intention there arises sensual desire; in dependence on the sensual desire there arises sensual passion; in dependence on the sensual passion there arises a sensual quest. Engaged in a sensual quest, the uninstructed worldling conducts himself wrongly in three ways - with body, speech and mind.

In dependence on the ill will element there arises perception of ill will...

In dependence on the cruelty element there arises perception of harming...

In dependence on the renunciation element there arises perception of renunciation...

In dependence on the non-ill will element there arises perception of non-ill will...

In dependence on the harmlessness element there arises perception of harmlessness. In dependence on the perception of harmlessness there arises intention of harmlessness; in dependence on intention of harmlessness there arises desire for harmlessness; in dependence on desire for harmlessness there arises passion for harmlessness; in dependence on passion for harmlessness there arises a sensual quest. Engaged in a quest for harmlessness, the instructed noble disciple conducts himself rightly in three ways - with body, speech and mind.

SN 14.12
    "A first beginning of ignorance cannot be conceived, (of which it can be said), 'Before that, there was no ignorance and it came to be after that.'

"A first beginning of the craving of existence cannot be conceived, (of which it can be said), 'Before that, there was no craving for existence and it came to be after that.'

Though this is so, monks, yet a specific condition for craving for existence can be conceived. Craving for existence, too, has its nutriment, I declare; and it is not without a nutriment.

And what is the nutriment of craving for existence? 'Ignorance,' should be the answer.

AN X.61

edited April 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    And let us not forget that there is not a single word in the Cannon that we can know the meaning the Buddha had in mind or voice.
    You state this often, but you also make statements like the following:
    MatSalted wrote: »
    I think Buddha was an antimystic.
    This is just one example of many.

Clearly, you believe that you know what meaning the Buddha had in mind.
  • edited April 2010
    "A first beginning of ignorance cannot be conceived, (of which it can be said), 'Before that, there was no ignorance and it came to be after that.'

"A first beginning of the craving of existence cannot be conceived, (of which it can be said), 'Before that, there was no craving for existence and it came to be after that.'

Though this is so, monks, yet a specific condition for craving for existence can be conceived. Craving for existence, too, has its nutriment, I declare; and it is not without a nutriment.

And what is the nutriment of craving for existence? 'Ignorance,' should be the answer.

what is the meaning in this sutra when "a first beginning of ignorance cannot be conceived"? is it ignorance in humankind? because i am thinking that ignorance is mind dependent, so from the beginning of humankind there has been ignorance, and from the beginning of mind, that is the simultaneous beginning of ignorance, and what is inconceivable is pinpointing when this pair came about, but you could maybe say that even without mind, matter was ignorant and had a craving for existence, matter which only developed into mind, and it has always been that way
    edited April 2010
    PP

I think you have given an excellent explanation or reflection.

We can examine a new born child. We can notice how over a period of weeks, then months, then years how its mental faculties mature & develop. This takes time. Just basic faculties, such as seeing, hearing, thinking, speaking, memorising, having self-concept, etc, take time to develop.

So keeping this in mind, is a child ignorant or enlightened when first born?

I trust the answer is fully ignorant. It cannot even feed itself and find its way to the toilet.

When mind first comes into being, ignorance is fully there with it.

Jesus said: "The mind of a child is the kingdom of heaven".

S9 said" "A child's mind is Buddha-Nature".

Buddha said: "Good man, have you never seen in the world a young tender infant lying prone, fouled in its own excrement & urine?"

:smilec:
    edited April 2010
    ...craving for existence...
    plants & trees have very primitive mind but we can notice how they complete with eachother to grow towards the sun

:)
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Similarly , when the translation for one who fall to reborn into the 'evil path ' of the lower realms such as the realms of hell, hungry spirits, and animals.
    'evil path' is just a conventional translation for the sanskrit tem Durgati.
    A more precise translation for Dur-gati would be degration, unwanted result , destress destination