Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Free Will

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited May 2011 in Philosophy
Note to the moderators: I put this in the advanced categories because I feel that it’s an important philosophical question in regards to our Buddhist practice. Though, since its not inherently Buddhist feel free to put it into General Banter if you want.

What do people think of free will? I’ll share my current views on it and would like to hear what others have to say about it.

Arthur Schopenhauer said "Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills". This kind of sums up how I feel about it. In Buddhism our condition is sometimes described as a person who is being swept along by the current of a fast moving river. In our lives situations arise due to our karma and we respond due to our kleshas or conditioned responses, generating more karma and reinforcing our mental habits, thus perpetuating an endless cycle.

However, I think the problem is in the way free will is often interpreted. While we can’t will what we will, that doesn’t mean we don’t have choice. While our choices are influenced by our conditioning we have many different conditioned forces within us and it can’t be determined linearly which option we choose. Follow this link for a quick and easy experiment on freedom of choice .
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/freewill1.html

From a more scientific point of view the gross world of matter seems to behave in a fairly deterministic way. When we get down to the quantum level though things are decidedly non-deterministic. Phenomena are described in terms of probabilities and not certainties. According to chaos theory 2 systems starting under the same conditions can’t be predicted to end up in the same place. The basic premise of a deterministic world view is that if all phenomena can be known and tracked then future outcomes can be predicted and thus will always be so. However, quantum uncertainty says that the states of all phenomena cannot be known, not because we’re not smart enough to figure it out, but because it’s the nature of quantum phenomena to be non-determinate.

I think that through the application of awareness we can see through our conditioned responses and choose to act in a different way. Even from a completely deterministic view, if we become aware of our patterns that adds new information to the system thus changing the ultimate outcome.

To tie this into the scientific world, I think that awareness is like the indeterminate wave function of phenomena and our conditioned reactions are like the particle function that does behave in a more deterministic fashion. So the more we can live in that non-conceptual state the more freedom we have to engage in a situation skillfully according to the needs of the time and less in a predictable, conditioned way.

Anyway, I’m still trying to get my head around this and haven’t really studied it in any real depth so I’d like to hear what others have found.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Yeah we've done this one before. :)

We really have to define "free will" to make any sense of it. Since everything is impermanent and not-self, there's no "agent" or "self" that is somehow outside of causality/conditionality. There are decisions made, choices made... will is exerted, but it's all within an interdependent reality where conditions are the only true master. The further down the rabbit hole we go into realizing we're not separate entities, but rather fully interdependent conditioned phenomena, the less we attach to ideas of "free will" because there's no one to have it.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yeah we've done this one before. :)

We really have to define "free will" to make any sense of it. Since everything is impermanent and not-self, there's no "agent" or "self" that is somehow outside of causality/conditionality. There are decisions made, choices made... will is exerted, but it's all within an interdependent reality where conditions are the only true master. The further down the rabbit hole we go into realizing we're not separate entities, but rather fully interdependent conditioned phenomena, the less we attach to ideas of "free will" because there's no one to have it.
    Yeah, I figured it wasn't the first time it came up. The point you raise is kind of my point about using awarness and maintaining a non-conceptual mind to free us from the deterministic world of conditioning.
  • What do people think of free will?

Anyway, I’m still trying to get my head around this and haven’t really studied it in any real depth so I’d like to hear what others have found.
    hey:)

I have spent a lot of time studying this over the years, from a western philosophical point of view. Thought I was all clued up on the arguments for this great philosophical battle....

But it was only once I started to see the world through dharmic eyes that I realised how the entire notion of a debate between freewill and determinism is mistaken. Profoundly mistaken.

Now I see the answer as simple: There just is no agent, no doer, no chooser; they are all illusions; just like the more obvious illusions of ego or object.

Q: Do I choose to do X?
    A: Not in any meaningful sense. The aggregate antecedents of X bring X about but X happening is not distinct from those antecedents. Its all interconnected and there is no agent or choice distinct from these interconnections.

Q: Could I have not done X?
    A: In an indeterminate universe like ours, yes, but that counter-factual is no more distinct from the conditions than the bringing abut of X.

Q: Am I responsible for X?
    A: Socially, morally, legally etc, yes, in the same way as I am treated as an individual by society.
    A: Dharmicly, I don't think responsibility comes into it in any meaningful sense. I am not responsible for X, but I will be connected with the Karmic fruit of X.

So, that's my take:)

Namaste

Q: Do I choose to do X?
    A: Not in any meaningful sense. The aggregate antecedents of X bring X about but X happening is not distinct from those antecedents. Its all interconnected and there is no agent or choice distinct from these interconnections.
    Yes, I see what you're saying. I guess from the normal western arguements I've seen they see causality as linear and so while "the aggregate antecedents of X bring X about but X happening is not distinct from those antecedents" is true, the conclusion I often see being made is that this means that our behaviors are entirely predictable and not subject to any kind of randomness. Whereas, I think, from the Buddhist point of view causality is more of a web than a chain. We are so full of possible antecedents that are so thoroughly interconnected that a small change to one can have ripple effects throughout our conciousness that makes predictability impossible.

I'm not trying to argue against what you said because you address it in the other two questions. Just saying that linear causality is the way this arguement is usually presented.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    What do you think 'volitions (or mental formations) are without a self' means? My friend, free will does not exist and is a delusion. This is a core aspect of the no-self teachings.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html

"Any kind of determination whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'
    What do you think 'volitions are without a self' means? My friend, free will does not exist and is a delusion.
    How can we attain liberation if there is literally no free will? Are we all destined for enlightenment at some point thats beyond our control? The Buddha didn't answer this question, but that doesn't mean we're to do nothing and just wait for our turn. I get the arguement about "self" being a dependent phenomena. But aren't we able to free ourselves from this view and achieve liberation?
    In my OP I tried to make the distiction between free will and freedom of choice. I don't really believe we have free will, but I think there is some wiggle room to make choices depending on our level of awareness.
  • hey person:)
    Whereas, I think, from the Buddhist point of view causality is more of a web than a chain. We are so full of possible antecedents that are so thoroughly interconnected that a small change to one can have ripple effects throughout our conciousness that makes predictability impossible.
    Sure, that's another issue, the idea of complexity preventing predictability. I think it's very interested too, Daniel Dennet's recentish book focusses on that. But I think that again, its a bit of a red herring, it doesn't matter to dharma if we are predictable or not - or if the reasons either way are to do with complexity or randomnes The key issue is that there is no agent, without an agent, there is no debate about the freewill or otherwise of that agent.
    Just saying that linear causality is the way this arguement is usually presented.

Yes it is. and I think of you wanted to debate analytically with philosophers using your idea of a causal web there may be interesting things to be found and said. Not sure what though!:)

Well wishes
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    this is the difference between reacting and responding. reacting is done based on our conditioned minds. responding takes the conditioned mind in consideration, but does what is appropriate in the situation.

reacting is unconscious. responding is totally conscious.
    reacting is based on our predetermined karma/thinking/conditioning.
    responding is based on the situation on hand. seeing it with fresh eyes. stopping and watching. feeling out what needs to happen.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    What do you think 'volitions are without a self' means? My friend, free will does not exist and is a delusion.
    How can we attain liberation if there is literally no free will? Are we all destined for enlightenment at some point thats beyond our control? The Buddha didn't answer this question, but that doesn't mean we're to do nothing and just wait for our turn. I get the arguement about "self" being a dependent phenomena. But aren't we able to free ourselves from this view and achieve liberation?
    How to attain liberation? 8-fold path of course :)

Are we all destined for enlightenment? Who knows, but if you just forget about the path it'll probably never happen I guess :D

In my OP I tried to make the distiction between free will and freedom of choice. I don't really believe we have free will, but I think there is some wiggle room to make choices depending on our level of awareness.
    Ok then, who or what makes the choices?
  • Ok then, who or what makes the choices?
    They are the result of the same processes that produce the experiences of choice and action. "There is no thinker, only thoughts."

namaste
    edited May 2011

Are we all destined for enlightenment? Who knows, but if you just forget about the path it'll probably never happen I guess :D
    How can you follow the path to liberation if you can't choose to do it? Or even forget about the path, since that was what you are predetermined to do anyway?
    Good point, I guess I'm saying that awareness isn't "self" and so maybe there aren't choices in the normal sense. It just seems that in a non-determinate world there is some room for randomness and free movement.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Determinism and free will are views. Ultimately all we have is reality as we experience it. Just thinking.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011

How can you follow the path to liberation if you can't choose to do it? Or even forget about the path, since that was what you are predetermined to do anyway?
    How can you fall asleep if you can't choose to? How can you sneeze if you don't want to? It just happens. So you follow the path because you have to.

Don't confuse it with determinism though, because there is no-one to be determined.
    Good point, I guess I'm saying that awareness isn't "self" and so maybe there aren't choices in the normal sense. It just seems that in a non-determinate world there is some room for randomness and free movement.

Ok, randomness maybe, but that still doesn't imply choices are free.
    edited May 2011
    How can you fall asleep if you can't choose to? How can you sneeze if you don't want to? It just happens. So you follow the path because you have to.

Don't confuse it with determinism though, because there is no-one to be determined.
    This idea bothers me, to my mind and experience I'm not a robot. I can decide to stay up all night or hold in a sneeze. Plus these are physical phenomena and depend on the body not mental events like a choice. Check out this quick little test on freedom of choice: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/freewill1.html

If its not determinism what is it? Just because there is no one to be determined doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Could you explain a little more?

Thanks for the responses everyone, my thoughts on this are still pretty unformed and challenges help sharpen my ideas. :)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The weather is chaotic and unpredictable. But that doesn’t mean it has a free will. It’s just such a complex system that all computers in the world put together can not tell whether it will rain today in say a year.

My guess is that the human brain has a similar complexity, which makes thinking a seemingly chaotic process; predictable to some extend and ultimately unpredictable like the weather.

There’s a difference between the weather and the processes in my brain.
    The brain produces conscious experience and as far as we know the weather does not.
    This consciousness gets information about what the brain is doing.
    But consciousness has zero influence.
    The sequence is
    1. the brain makes a decision
    2. it starts to execute this decision
    3. it makes the information conscious (a split second later)
    4. this conscious information matches what happens immediately after
    5. We think we really are someone and we feel like we are operating the
    buttons
    I’m no neuro-scientist (as you may have noticed) but this is my amateur understanding.

So how can we practice? How can we attain enlightenment? How can we put on our socks?
    We just do it.

There’s no escape from the illusion of free will.
    Even if I try to stop making decisions; that appears to be my decision.
    We just have to accept that “being a person who’s making choices” is what this non-personal, determined process looks like and feels like for "us".

Just my 2 cents of course.

The weather is chaotic and unpredictable. But that doesn’t mean it has a free will. It’s just such a complex system that all computers in the world put together can not tell whether it will rain today in say a year.

I tried to adress this in my OP where I said "The basic premise of a deterministic world view is that if all phenomena can be known and tracked then future outcomes can be predicted and thus will always be so. However, quantum uncertainty says that the states of all phenomena cannot be known, not because we’re not smart enough to figure it out, but because it’s the nature of quantum phenomena to be non-determinate.

The rest of your arguement gets at the crux of the issue though, whether conciousness is just an illusion or not. I don't know but current neuroscience says that the mind has downward causality and can influence the wiring in the brain.
    I'd like to point out that conciousness as illusion in the Buddhist sense, i.e. it being an interdependent phenomena isn't the same as illusion in the sense that its solely an illusion of the functions of the physical brain.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    If I understand correctly (which is a big if) the uncertainty applies to quantum phenomena only and the processes in the brain are no quantum- phenomena.

Processes in the brain can form loops.
    Such a loop would look like “mind having downward causality”.
    The brain decides we practice meditation. As a result our brain gets more adapted to doing meditation and decides to do some more.
    The involvement of our consciousness in the decision is an illusion.

All again imho and so on.

edited May 2011
    @zenff You may be right, I don't know enough to say you're wrong. Its just that the notion of not having any control over my life or the direction it takes feels wrong to me and frankly, upsetting. I guess I'm looking to randomness and uncertainty at the quantum level and assuming there must be some effect at grosser levels of phenomena, even the mind to argue for some level of control or "wiggle room". I'm willing to accept that we're creatures of habit that generally behave according to our conditioning, but zero control doesn't sit well within my Buddhist framework that we can change our minds.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @person Funny, I kind of like the idea!
    To me it is like I’m trying to see through the illusion of “self”.

To me it is like I’m trying to see through the illusion of “self”.

This is kind of how I view it as well, though I don't know how you can "try to see through (it)" without some kind of ability to make a choice.
  • But how can you explain in quantum physics the fact that the operator influences the outcome of an experiment with his consciousness? Or is there just one huge mind field with concentrations of energies that makes up humans? And if we take out the 'self' factor that which remains is us as this mind field that operates and influences things...

:scratch:
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @person
    Okay, I’m trying to experience the illusion of trying to see through the illusion of “self”.
    And that would be an illusion too.

Got to stop now am getting dizzy of thinking so hard.

:eek2:
    But how can you explain in quantum physics the fact that the operator influences the outcome of an experiment with his consciousness? Or is there just one huge mind field with concentrations of energies that makes up humans? And if we take out the 'self' factor that which remains is us as this mind field that operates and influences things...

:scratch:
    I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Could you rephrase it and tie it in to something specific in the discussion?

:)
    edited May 2011

Okay, I’m trying to experience the illusion of trying to see through the illusion of “self”.
    And that would be an illusion too.
    Yes, I believe the Buddha said something to the effect that the path leading to liberation is also an illusion. To me the idea that we're just sitting around waiting for our turn on the enlightenment wheel without any ablility to decide we want to be rid of our suffering isn't satisfactory though.

• Hahahaha, yes sure... It was obvious that my post wouldn't make any sense. Well as I see it, according to quantum physics, as far as I know, there is this big quantum foam/ field. Some scientist have come to the conclusion (not haven't proven this yet) that this field might be a big kind of consciousness. Now if 'I' am a small concentration of that mind field and through liberation the 'I' being eliminated gives its place to this big mind field, we become the absolute, so maybe within us there is this seed of the absolute/ mind field that pushes us to realize the fact that there is no small 'I' but the absolute...

So free will is an illusion in terms of the small 'I', but possible it exists in terms of the Absolute. A Buddha for me might be big 'I' with a body (till it dies, beyond death I haven't thought what my speculation would lead).

Making any sense? No? Ok, let's see what others have to say about my theory... :p
    @budding_flower I agree with your basic assertion that free will is an illusion for our conditioned mind, or small "I" as you say, and I'd say that by using awareness we can step outside that to have some freedom. Though the notion of this big "I" is still a thing and isn't the Buddhist view of no-self.

I also like your notion of our basic nature having some "push" that causes us to move towards liberation.
  • A friend of mine who has been involved in Buddhism longer than me (a lot longer), told me that emptiness doesn't mean nothingness. I also encountered a theory I think from the Tien-Tai school though that I'm not sure, that stated that the world is real and that by saying the world is empty doesn't mean it is unreal but that it is empty of our assumptions and beliefs...

Anyway, before an hour I read this article on Wikipedia about Nirvana and realized that, again that Buddhism is so vast and there so many interpretations of Shakyamuni Buddha's sayings (if they are indeed his, in the suttas or sutras), that I am starting to thing that even Buddhism in an illusion too made up from human beliefs and ideas, and maybe not from the Sidarta Gaudama...
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    In Buddhism our condition is sometimes described as a person who is being swept along by the current of a fast moving river. In our lives situations arise due to our karma and we respond due to our kleshas or conditioned responses, generating more karma and reinforcing our mental habits, thus perpetuating an endless cycle.
    Only 1/2 of Buddhism is being described above, the 1/2 about suffering. The other 1/2 is about developing the path to freedom.

The more freedom, the more "free will" in respect to responding to experience.

Regards

• We've always had free will the moment we were born. I believe that statement.."cannot will what he wills" has a philosophical meaning and just means that we are not in charge. We can go through life doing the things we think is right in our mind, but we can't be 100% sure of its results. This is where faith comes in.

We still have the free will to seek out as much information as possible about what we choose to believe, and then decide on where to put our faith. We have the option to directly experience something first as opposed to automatically believing in something. This is the benefit to living in the human realm. We have the option to create kusala (meritorious) karmas and paramis (a lifetime of perfected qualities) or not to do anything. The choice is ours. :)

with metta
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Science says we are determined. Buddhism says we have free will. Whether we do or not, we certainly feel like we do, and so I believe we must find a path between resigned fatalism ("oh well, i'll just give up because everything is pre-determined") and controlling egotism ("with my willpower, i can conquer the world!"). You could say, the middle path.
  • Science says we are determined.
    Only SOME scientists. Science itself does not say anything.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Science says we are determined.
    Only SOME scientists. Science itself does not say anything.
    In the unenlightened sphere, which is the sphere of scientific study, such as behavioral science, human beings are determined. This is also the Buddhist teaching, where human beings spin in samasara, determined by the cycle of craving.

Science says alot and enough about the constituants of human motivation.
    @Jason you said this in another post on Karma:

"The Buddha defined kamma (literally 'action') as intention, and he essentially took the position that we, as sentient beings, have functional choice via intention operating within a broader framework of causality that conditions the choices available to us at any given time."

This sounds quite a bit like the argument I've been trying to make. If you have the time could you elaborate or link some source? Thank You.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2011
    @Jason you said this in another post on Karma:

"The Buddha defined kamma (literally 'action') as intention, and he essentially took the position that we, as sentient beings, have functional choice via intention operating within a broader framework of causality that conditions the choices available to us at any given time."

This sounds quite a bit like the argument I've been trying to make. If you have the time could you elaborate or link some source? Thank You.
    This post by Ñāṇa on Dhamma Wheel is a good place to start.
    Thanks so much @Jason. Just to copy over a couple passages from that other post to help make my argument:

Cetanā is volitional intention, the will-to-do, the intentional directing of the mind. It is functional choice. Just because a particular mind-stream doesn't have all of the optimal requisite causes and conditions in place to always make the most optimally efficacious choice doesn't mean that cetanā isn't functional choice.

Contact is concomitant with volitional intention. The path includes developing fundamental attention (yoniso manasikāra), right effort (sammāvāyāma), and right exertion (sammappadhānā), which condition desire (chanda), volitional intention (cetanā), and so on. Functional choice isn't independent of other causes and conditions -- it operates within the same conditioned mind-stream. But it does operate, and it does so in consort with desire and attention, etc. Hence there is no need for Cartesian notions of free will or Upaniṣadic notions of a permanent, unchanging Self for there to be functional choice. In fact, these non-Buddhist systems are not sustainable precisely because of the interdependence of phenomena: i.e. an unchanging agent cannot engage in actions, etc.

Moreover, just because there is no permanent undying self as the agent controlling the aggregates or within the aggregates does not mean that there is no conscious, functional, volitional self-agency operating. AN 6.38 Attakāra Sutta:

"This, master Gotama, is my my doctrine; this is my view: There is no self-agency/acting (attakāra); there is no other-agency/acting (parakāra)."

"Never, brahman, have I seen or heard of such a doctrine, such a view. How indeed can one step forward, how can one step back, yet say: 'There is no self-agency/acting; there is no other-agency/acting'? What do you think, brahman, is there such a thing as initiative?"

"Yes, sir."

"That being so, are beings known to initiate?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well, brahman, since there is such a thing as initiative and beings are known to initiate, this among beings is self-agency; this is other-agency."

"What do you think, brahmin, is there such a thing as stepping away ... such a thing as stepping forward ... such a thing as stopping ... such a thing as standing still ... such a thing as stepping toward?"

"Yes, sir."

"That being so, are beings known to do all these things?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well, brahmin, since there is such a thing as stepping away and stepping forward, and the rest, and beings are known to do these things, this among beings is self-agency/acting; this is other-agency/acting. Never, Brahmin, I have seen or heard of such a doctrine, such a view as yours. How indeed can one step forward, how can one step back, yet say: 'There is no self-agency; there is no other-agency'?"

So even though we are conditioned beings and devoid of self, the Buddha still said there is cetana, volitonal action, or 'choice'.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Yep there is choice, just like there is sight and there is sound. There's just no independent or permanent agent that is the doer/seer/hearer. ;)