Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When the Dalai Lama was asked if he is going to allow himself to be reincarnated...

VagabondVagabond Explorer
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Today
This happened: (I think I edited the embed code so where it starts at the right spot. If not, go to 4:55-ish in the video)

Okay..
can someone PLEASE tell me WTF he just said? lmao i cant understand him to be honest.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Ehh, no problem.
    It's no problem.
    The name... institution Dalai Lama.
    Now thats up to Tibetan people.
    As early as '69 I made clear... publicly... officially... the very institution of Dalai Lama should continue or not up to Tibetan people.
    I don't care.

In case people want to keep this institution and also the successor, then the people want to follow the traditional way then the search (for) one boy, or one child. That also depend on circumstances... if the people want female then that also possible. In anyway if the circumstances still remain like this, we are outside Tibet... then the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama logically find in free country... why? the very purpose of the reincarnation is to carry continuously the task... the struggle of previous life. So, I come from free country... I escape from free country for certain purpose. So still that purpose not fulfilled, not achieved. Then the reincarnation must... true reincarnation must be to carry continuosly that task not yet achieved.

Even now the Chinese government the last few years talking about the 15th Dalai Lama. So sometimes the Chinese government more concerned about the 15th Dalai Lama than me... politically of course. So they may choose one Dalai Lama but not Tibetans heart Dalai Lama.

I listen to his teachings often. :)
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited June 2011

... true reincarnation must be to carry continuosly that task not yet achieved.
    How very comforting and inspiring that he mentioned this issue!
    So many others regard rebirth as either developmental failure or physical impossibility.
    It inspires me to get back to working on that task not yet achieved...

• What a wonderful topic!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    I thought I read somewhere that the Dalai Lama will choose not to be reincarnated, to avoid the Chinese government appointing their own successor and thereby tainting Tibetan Buddhism. I don't remember where I read that, but it makes sense. Personally I'm extremely concerned by the efforts of the Chinese government to destroy Tibetan Buddhism, not to mention Tibet itself.
  • The DL hasn't decided yet, whether he's going to reincarnate or not. He's speculating about possibly not reincarnating, but he's also speculated about returning in female form, being reborn in the West, etc. Whatever happens, it's guaranteed to be controversial and messy, painfully so. :bawl:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Maybe if we all chip in and buy 100000000 units of chinese products they will lay off TB?
  • LOL! Jeffrey.
  • I read right here on this forum recently that the Chinese had passed a law against reincarnation, and there was a link to Yahoo News. So the Chinese can't "find" their own reincarnation because it's against their law.

Having been a lifelong TB and having been in HHDL's presence (security detail), I honestly believe that he is an emanation of Avalokiteshvara, so of course I hope there is a reincarnation. It seems necessary as noted above.
  • They didn't pass a law against reincarnation (or if they did, it was some time ago, and they've since changed their minds). The most recent article to appear on this forum was about the Chinese requiring the DL to reincarnate, the said they'll force him to reinarnate. "He must uphold tradition", they said, as I recall. Thus spake the Chinese Communist Party.
  • 1. They passed a law making it illegal to have tulkus to be reborn without the Chinese Central Government endorsing the tulku.

2. The idea of the Tibetan occupation in the Cultural revolution was to "free the Tibetans of the chains of feudalism and religion and culture, and to liberate the Tibetans from the Western oppressors.

3. The Chinese outlawed displays of culture and religion until they realized that it was profitable and a perfect conduit to spread their propaganda, especially in Tibet.

4. The Chinese Central Government now demands HHDL to "uphold tradition."

Talk about being hypocrites!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Maybe if we all chip in and buy 100000000 units of chinese products they will lay off TB?
    eewwww, I don't think I could bring myself to do that! :p
  • How can one choose to not be reincarnated? I always thought only Buddha's could not be reincarnated? Also, since he is a Dali Lama and there are still unenlightened beings wouldn't not being reincarnated g break his Bodhisattva vows?
  • @white_wolf

one can chose not to be reborn in this Earth... IF one can chose rebirths.
  • I thought I read somewhere that the Dalai Lama will choose not to be reincarnated, to avoid the Chinese government appointing their own successor and thereby tainting Tibetan Buddhism. I don't remember where I read that, but it makes sense. Personally I'm extremely concerned by the efforts of the Chinese government to destroy Tibetan Buddhism, not to mention Tibet itself.
    Whether His Holiness chooses to reincarnate or not I doubt it'll mean much to the Chinese. They'll insist on installing their own puppet "Dalai Lama" no matter what.

• Update: China has passed a law banning reincarnation. There was a discussion about it a couple of weeks ago. So since HHDL is not in China, he can reincarnate if he chooses to.
  • The Times of India

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-02-14/india/28542221_1_tibetan-issue-panchen-lama-tibetan-government

'New Chinese law aimed at wiping out Tibetan identity'
    Naresh Kumar Sharma, TNN Feb 14, 2011, 07.13pm IST

DHARAMSALA: The new Chinese law which would come into effect next month banning reincarnation of the Dalai Lama and other Buddhist monks in Tibet was aimed at wiping out the Tibetan identity and its rich culture, said exiled Tibetan government based here on Monday.

The new law which stipulates Buddhist monks in Tibet to seek permission from Chinese communist regime for reincarnation has been ironically described by Chinese state administration for religious affairs as an important move to institutionalize management of reincarnation.
  • I find it funny that a supposedly atheist communist state is trying to ban something that they don't even believe exists.
  • I find it funny that a supposedly atheist communist state is trying to ban something that they don't even believe exists.
    It's about control. Control a people's religion and you control the people.
  • Has anyone actually read a translation of the actual law? I suspect what the law does is ban the practice of taking a young boy away from his family and raising him as a monk while claiming he's a reincarnated ruler. A law banning "reincarnation" seems rather obviously uninforcable.

But I read there is already a law, widely ignored, making it illegal to be a monk until you are 18 years old. I think they get around this by having "apprentice monks". But, in the East, there has never been separation of church and state. The governments of China, Korea, and Japan have always claimed authority to issue laws telling the temples how to operate. That part is not surprising at all.

I'm not taking China's side. It's such a huge mess over there. And, the history of Tibet and China is one of conflict on both sides for many centuries. At one time, Tibet was the stronger nation and invaded and occupied parts of China? During that time, it was Tibet that outlawed the use of the Chinese language and forced the Chinese people in the occupied cities to learn and use only Tibetan writing.

It's funny that the Chinese talk about Tibet being traditionally part of China, when it's just as accurate to say China was once part of Tibet. This back and forth power struggle is brutal on the people and needs to end.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    "[...] if I die before Tibet has found its freedom again, logically I will be reborn outside of Tibet. If at that moment my people no longer need a Dalai Lama, then it will not be necessary to search for me. So I could be reborn as an insect, or an animal, or some other form of existence that is useful to the greatest number of sentient beings."

From HHDL My Spiritual Autobiography, p. 67.