Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

User photos on main page

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited July 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
I added user photos (avatars) to the main page so you can see who started each discussion. Hope you like it :)

Comments

• it takes too much space... they should be at the left not on top.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited July 2011
    They are. View this page (it's the stylesheet code) and refresh it. Then come back and try again.
  • looks great
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I like it! Thanks, Lincoln!
  • now it looks much better :)
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    I preferred it without the pictures, it's a distraction from the title.
  • I think it's a good change. It makes it easier to recognize who made the topic.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    exactly
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    the mobile page already had this and what I thought what was better than the normal page, yey
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    This looks to be a good change lincoln :)
  • Yes, I have been away for a while and returned with a surprise! Thank you.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    All Thumbs Up! (I'm all thumbs lately.)

Thanks, Matt!

But Hey Look, Y'all, I'm not the only white flag in a blizzard here!
  • for those without user photo, there could be a default image so that all threads have one (like the lotus).
    I considered it and may still, but am worried it will appear as if 1 person is responsible for all of them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I don't think that idea would be good because it would look like wallpaper.. the whole point is to add interest not to fill space?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Some look a little messed up on my browser. For example, Allbuddha Bound's name is mixed up with the thread title of "Do Animals Incur Negative Karma?"
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    yes I see that too
    His user photo was jacked up for some reason. I've removed it.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Why don't you just put the name of the user rather than their picture (which has potential to change and isn't as recognizable as their username)? I personally think it'd look a little bit cleaner too.
    edited July 2011
    Pictures are all the same size; names are (hugely) variable width. And, people generally like pictures more than text.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Why not ____________?

Second-guessing, though we all are prone to it, just misses the point. I mean, sometimes you can tell just by the name of the thread whether there's any possible merit in looking at it. Such is true of one which would ask, "In your opinion, what is your opinion?" :)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Did you change something, Lincoln? It looks different now, and much, much better. Maybe just a browser glitch that delayed the update or something?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Why not ____________?

Second-guessing, though we all are prone to it, just misses the point. I mean, sometimes you can tell just by the name of the thread whether there's any possible merit in looking at it. Such is true of one which would ask, "In your opinion, what is your opinion?" :)
    That's a rather patronising statement. Your observation has nothing to do with logistics, it's just personal opinion, and as such, you can evaluate threads with or without a photo.
    The fascia hardly matters in this case. It's merely an opinion, and one best kept to one's self.

Really.

• like it a lot! :buck:
    edited July 2011
    @MindGate You were probably getting a cached stylesheet. I assume you saw the avatars above the discussions, which is how it would look without the new style info.