Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A trip to Kyoto

edited May 2006 in Sanghas
Hi everyone,

Just spent the weekend in Kyoto and visted many temples and shrines.

It was wonderful to see both Shinto and Buddhist places of worship/reflection on the same sites and coexisting peaceful. I remarked to my girlfriend that you definately don't see anything like that in the UK!

Our international sangha was in my mind during the visit. I hoped that you could all join me one day! In one way or another...

dsc006157bh.jpg

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I distictly remember telling you, the next time you go to Japan, you'll have to take me with you!!:hrm:

Oh, I would so love to visit it!

The picture is absolutely wonderful!:bigclap:
  • edited January 2006
    Awesome picture thanks for sharing it with us. I plan to visit Japan in a few years, it looks like a wonderful country and I'd love to work there one day.
  • edited January 2006
    Higashi Hon Gon Ji?
  • edited January 2006
    It has been an ambition of mine to travel to Japan since the V+A held a Japanese Culture exhibition. I so want to go. It must of been fantastic.

HH
  • edited January 2006
    Sugoi desu ne?

dsc006373vo.jpg
  • edited January 2006
    Sugoi desu ne?

Yep, it does look amazing!
  • edited February 2006
    Dear Springtime:

I think beebuddy and I have a similar question: is that first pic of Toji temple?
    I really loved Toji. What an amazing set of Vajrayana statues they have there forming a three dimensional Mandala. Did you see that?
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited February 2006
    ::

More pictures! More stories!

::
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Wonderful pictures, BSF.

But...

The pool around that one hotel you posted? The water was pretty dirty. Don't they ever clean their pools?

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Dear Springtime:

I always feel like adding...
    "For Hitler..." :lol:
  • edited February 2006
    Dear Springtime:

I think beebuddy and I have a similar question: is that first pic of Toji temple?
    I really loved Toji. What an amazing set of Vajrayana statues they have there forming a three dimensional Mandala. Did you see that?

VWP,

Yes it is Toji temple. I was amazed by all the Vajrayana statues and the influences of Indian and Japanese art being combined.

The highlight for me was the little lady who signed my temple book - a true calligrapher!

Mata ne!
  • edited February 2006
    Another view of Toji temple, this time of the tallest pagoda in Japan.

dsc006042or.jpg
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Springtime:

Thank you for the kind response. Whereabouts in Japan are you? I`m way down in Kagoshima.

I lived in Hiroshima for a year and took some tiny mobile phone pictures of a Shingon fire-walking ceremony in honour of Fudo-myo-o at Miyajima. They`re so small I`m not sure they are worth the bother of posting.
  • edited March 2006
    I lived in Hiroshima for a year and took some tiny mobile phone pictures of a Shingon fire-walking ceremony in honour of Fudo-myo-o at Miyajima. They`re so small I`m not sure they are worth the bother of posting.

Please post them, I'd be interested in seeing them even if they're small. :thumbsup:
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    I always feel like adding...
    "For Hitler..." :lol:
    HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Thats great!

You will join me in singing and dancing the Fuhrer's favourite tune:
    "Der Guten Tag Hop-Clop"! All right, key of E?

Hello Springtime:

Thank you for the kind response. Whereabouts in Japan are you? I`m way down in Kagoshima.

Yes, please post them. I would be very interested.
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Springtime:

VWP,

I'm currently living in Shizuoka City, Shizuoka prefecture.

Please post your pictures of the fire-walking ceremony - I'm sure we'd all love to see them regardless of their size.

Gasho,

Dave
  • edited March 2006
    Hello

I haven`t checked back here for a while. Glad people might be interested in seeing the images. It will take me some time to get them up as they are still in my mobile phone`s memory.
  • edited March 2006
    Well here are some of the little images taken on my mobile phone camera:
  • edited March 2006
    one more (there are eight images on the previous page):
  • edited March 2006
    These pictures are from a ceremony conducted at Daisho-in Shingon Buddhist Temple on Miyajima Island near Hiroshima in Japan. The ceremony is conducted twice a year and this particular one was in November of 2004.

Shingon is the name of the Japanese form of Vajrayana. Shingon is the Japanese translation of the Chinese word for "mantra" and literally means "true word". Vajrayana was transmited to Japan from China by the monk Kukai, known also as Kobo Daishi, even before it was established in Tibet. Kobo Daishi is regarded by Shingon Buddhists as having reached Buddhahood and his body is believed by some still to be in a state of samadhi on Mt. Koya, where the head temple of Shingon-shu Esoteric Buddhism is located.

The fire walking ceremony is in honor of Fudo-myo-o, regarded as a fully enlightend wrathful manifestation of one of the Buddhas, perhaps Mahavairocana. Fudo-myo-o (Acalanatha, the Immovable one) sits on a rock enveloped in flame.

Logs were carefully stacked up and covered with evergreen branches. The abbot spoke to the crowd, and mentioned Tibet several times, I don`t exactly know why. Yellow-garbed monks blowing conch-shells moved in circles about the fire while mantras where chanted to the beating of a drum and the clang of metal rattles. The coals were carefully raked and invocations were pronounced by the abbot. The abbot was the first one to go through. Then other monks followed and finally the crowd of lay followers.

I was just few feet away from the proceedings. When the abbot walked through he raised his feet high and stamped and proceeded neither quickly nor slowly. I could see clearly that beneath the black surface red-hot coals were burning. A Tibetan monk was standing next to me observing the rite. By the time the lay people passed though, a path had been beaten though the coals and most people walked through without really coming into contact with the embers.

I explored some parts of the temple during the later stages of the ceremony when various people were walking through. I found that in the principal hall there was a special room dedicated to Tibetan Buddhism and there were a couple of lamas there making a sand-mandala. Daisho-in is a very beautiful temple and I recommend a visit to anyone in the vicinity of Hiroshima.
  • edited March 2006
    Daisho-in is a very beautiful a temple and I recomend a visit to anyone in the vicinity of Hiroshima.

When I get down there I'll be sure to have a look around.

Many thanks for posting the pictures!
  • edited May 2006
    It's not Kyoto but I thought I'd share this photo I took yesterday when I got slightly lost in the woods near my flat:

vfsh00664rp.jpg

I thought I'd go and sit in the woods being that they are generally cooler than the town (it's 30 degrees today!) only to find that once I stopped walking there was a platoon of mosquitoes ready for a feast! They weren't little ones either - they were bigger than bees! Needless to say I didn't practise meditation but swiftly got moving again!