Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Not sure if its a buddhist quote (perhaps Zen) But does anyone know what this quote means???

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited July 2011 in Sanghas
'When the rain comes in the way of another, to seek real help is to first enjoy the rain. whilst this is the real scenery,just as it is..The fact one has already dismissed the cold drops that run on ones face is to miss the making of a beautiful rainbow'

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    You have to be in the moment first before you can make a difference.
  • ...and, that is probably a hasty translation.
  • ...and, that is probably a hasty translation.
    Just got it off a quotes site...
    What does hasty mean and why??

• It's not Zen. That quote doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems to be a translation problem, but it's a rather contorted English sentence structure and even then almost meaningless.

"When the rain comes in the way of another, to seek real help is to first enjoy the rain"? The way of another what? And why would someone seek help from getting rained on?
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited July 2011
    It's not Zen. That quote doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems to be a translation problem, but it's a rather contorted English sentence structure and even then almost meaningless.

"When the rain comes in the way of another, to seek real help is to first enjoy the rain"? The way of another what? And why would someone seek help from getting rained on?

It is very Zen, If you cannot see Zen in this quote, You don't know ZEN very well.

'When the rain comes in the way of another (another person)
    the way to seek help (one way to seek help) is to first enjoy the rain. (we must first take notice of the rain, be in it, enjoy it and then we can finally accept it and move)

For you to ask 'why would someone seek help from getting rained on' indicates you know very little about Zen and you are not very far on your spiritual journey.

Keep it up though, things will one day make sense. Keep at it.
    It's not Zen. That quote doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems to be a translation problem, but it's a rather contorted English sentence structure and even then almost meaningless.

It is very Zen, If you cannot see Zen in this quote, You don't know ZEN very well.

'When the rain comes in the way of another (another person)
    the way to seek help (one way to seek help) is to first enjoy the rain. (we must first take notice of the rain, be in it, enjoy it and then we can finally accept it and move)

For you to ask 'why would someone seek help from getting rained on' indicates you know very little about Zen and you are not very far on your spiritual journey.

Keep it up though, things will one day make sense. Keep at it.
    If you say so.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited July 2011
    “Dismissing the cold drops” would be a superficial way of perceiving the rain.
    But I think dragging in the idea of a beautiful rainbow is strange and also kind of superficial.
    What if it’s just cold and rainy?

The quote seems to come from someone who’s caught in a “dualistic” way of perceiving; he just seems to be saying; “Hey, look at the bright side!”
    He (or she of course) has to go beyond that. Just get wet and penetrate the “suchness” of the rain.

All of this is overanalyzing things – I know.
    :rolleyes:
  • I don't know guys! Its just from a site. Motivationalquotes.com or something like that...

Cheers anyway x
  • Not everything that seems mystical and nonsensical is Zen, although almost anything can be used to teach a Zen point.

The quote seems to be saying that even the cold rain that soaks you should be appreciated for what it is. That's wisdom, but not Zen.

If this was dharma combat, I'd respond with, "Come in out of the rain, then."

Zenmyste, the day I stopped trying to make sense of Zen is the day I started penetrating what Soen Sa Nim was telling me. I think you might assume a little too much.

• Zenmyste, the day I stopped trying to make sense of Zen is the day I started penetrating what Soen Sa Nim was telling me. I think you might assume a little too much.
    Not at all my friend. I never assume anything. this is the secret in life. ''never assume'' I completely understand Zen, because i also realize there is nothing to understand. X keep at your practice. Good luck x